Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens attachment pulley adjustment

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
solara

Ariens attachment pulley adjustment
Original Message   Jan 29, 2005 4:37 pm
The manual, page 24, states that the attachment pulley is held (and adjusted)on by set screws. the manual suggests that one gets to them by removing belt cover.

i see the set screws on the engine sheave(?) But where are the set screws on the attacment pulley.

On the shaft??? i just do not see them.

Are they accessed to w/ just the belt cover off?  Are hey hex nuts?  figure 21 does not point them out.

also how does the idler puley adjust left and right. i To center the belt)   I  see how it goes in and out..

thanx.

gripes:

Ithe manual

a)could be clearer;

b)the nut sizes could be indicated

c)  the applicable picture and`text could be on same page.  (i printed a manula from he web site and still the diagrams can be 3 pages from the text.

II  speed selector.

the shaft does not fit into the fastest gear foward notch. even when  it is disconnected from the shaft

III adjustments:

why???? aren't cars more complicated. And usually hey are fine off the lot.

This message was modified Jan 29, 2005 by solara

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
newtonian

Re: Ariens attachment pulley adjustment
Reply #8   Jan 30, 2005 1:49 pm
I don't understand exactly what the adjustment is you are trying to make.  On mine, to adjust the belt tension it's the pulley that swings in and out as the handlebar lever is pressed and released that's adjustable.  I'd assume set screws are associated with sliding the pulleys on the shafts to align them so the belt travels straight. 

The adjustable pulley is about 2" diamater and has a single bolt holding it on.  You need to adjust the cable length before messing with the belt.  That's also in the book.

Thanks for the info on the starter I posted a long time ago.  The one I want to sell/exchange has become a paperweight in front of me... I should list it soon, but was hoping just to trade.  On Ebay they are about $100 - was hoping to get on the cheap side as it's a "retired" machine and it's just too hard on my shouler to pull the cord anymore.  You are sharp following the posts.

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #9   Jan 30, 2005 2:09 pm
The belt tension adjustment instructions do include checking the alignment of the belts. However on Solara's machine as well as mine, the only set screws are on the engine sheave pulleys. There are none on the pulleys below which contradicts the manual. As far as I can tell, there is no way to change the position of the lower pulleys.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
solara

Reply #10   Jan 30, 2005 8:58 pm
thanx jonathan. i thought i was imagining things..

i did the books adjustments. the belt sort of rides on the idler pulleys, but there seems no way to adjust  them front to back.

As to the gear selector i think that there is a problem w/ the "stamping" of the dash board. i looked at another one on the notches   are lower than  miine. ny notch panel appears to be part of dash. i know that i am doing a terrible job explaining this..

i think i will do  the adjs again. the interlock only works  when the engine is running full throttle and i really push on the attachment  handle.

newtonian i sold the 33329 on craig's list in hours. no shipping no bank accts.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
newtonian

Reply #11   Jan 31, 2005 12:16 am
solara: just posted starter on Craigslist, thanks for the incentive.

2012 Ariens ST24DLE

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #12   Jan 31, 2005 7:06 am
Solara,

The notches are in a separate piece of steel that is welded to the underside of the dash. I think that it may have been welded into a position a bit too far forward, making it impossible to get the lever into 6th gear. This could also pose a problem with slow reverse. You may want the dealer to check it out.

Jonathan

This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
solara

Reply #13   Jan 31, 2005 10:22 am
Jonathann,

Thanx i will look at  it probably on saturday. my job takes up most ofvthe daylight hours.

My dealer is HD so lawn/stiock boy  will not help.

even though it does not to into the notch i think i have all six speeds. i do have both reverses.  i will live w/ this. If it goes to  a dealer for any other reason i will ask then.

When i did the spring adj, i just measured it and it was right on. so i did not  shorten then lengthen.   the interlock only works if i really push down hard on the attachment clutch.    (HD said the machine HAD NO INTERLOCK) I am guessing that if i do the sping adj, step by step, the interlock will be less finicky.

Newtonian good luck w/ the starter.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Jonathan

Reply #14   Jan 31, 2005 10:48 am
Solara, I’m glad you have all speeds. I mistakenly thought you didn’t have 6th. Regarding the spring adjustment, after the initial run-in all I had top do was fiddle with the lock nut to get the proper difference in spring length when lever was up (clutch dis-engaged) and lever was down (clutch engaged). After I used the machine for blowing for about two hours I checked the spring measurements again and found the difference within specs, but barely. I moved in the idler pulley in a bit to get the difference at the higher end of the specs, making the belt tighter when clutch was engaged.. You may want to check the specs again if you have been using the machine since the last adjustment. In regards to moving the idler front to back to center it on the belt, I think the only way to do that would be to use a thinner/thicker washer on the inside or get a different length spacer. The idler on mine isn’t perfectly centered but the belt isn’t touching either side of it. Jonathan

solara

Reply #15   Jan 31, 2005 12:21 pm
Jonathan, you know  you see a notch and u just have a feeling that's where the selector goes. silly me.

Newtonian did a search ffor the starter. on craig's list boston. nothing popped up. r u sure it got published? They send u an email and u have to respond.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
newtonian

Reply #16   Jan 31, 2005 10:07 pm
It's on Craigs... do search on Boston>General and search "starter".  Started price high anticiapting negotiation.

How'd the belt tturn out?

2012 Ariens ST24DLE

solara

Reply #17   Jan 31, 2005 10:37 pm
newtonian, now i see it. did a search for tecumseh.

good luck.  (i had bought mine for 5$. listed it for 65$. the guy that bought it showed me that the engagement gear was not   moving up and down the screw shaft.  i did not prev iouslyappreciate that.  the buyer offered me 50$ and i sold it.  the buyer used to make 3 wheeled cars in AZ.   he understood the problem (diagnosed and analyzed it) and knew he could fix it. bath it in oil.  he fixed it and installed it on a machine for 92 yr old father.
i havent gone out to play w/ the blower. there  is that thing called a job.

the shed is not electrified in the winter and we have no garage..

other than the interlock being finicky, its fine. just trying to follow the ariens instructions.

sort of giving up on adjusting the pulleys front and back. the belts do ride a little on the pulley adjusters, but i do not want to start playing w/ spacers..

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42