Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens attachment pulley adjustment

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
solara

Ariens attachment pulley adjustment
Original Message   Jan 29, 2005 4:37 pm
The manual, page 24, states that the attachment pulley is held (and adjusted)on by set screws. the manual suggests that one gets to them by removing belt cover.

i see the set screws on the engine sheave(?) But where are the set screws on the attacment pulley.

On the shaft??? i just do not see them.

Are they accessed to w/ just the belt cover off?  Are hey hex nuts?  figure 21 does not point them out.

also how does the idler puley adjust left and right. i To center the belt)   I  see how it goes in and out..

thanx.

gripes:

Ithe manual

a)could be clearer;

b)the nut sizes could be indicated

c)  the applicable picture and`text could be on same page.  (i printed a manula from he web site and still the diagrams can be 3 pages from the text.

II  speed selector.

the shaft does not fit into the fastest gear foward notch. even when  it is disconnected from the shaft

III adjustments:

why???? aren't cars more complicated. And usually hey are fine off the lot.

This message was modified Jan 29, 2005 by solara

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Replies: 1 - 10 of 17NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Ariens attachment pulley adjustment
Reply #1   Jan 29, 2005 6:31 pm
I know nothing about your machine. Generally or in particular.

Why? Are the pulleys out of alignment?

The setscrews on most pullys are 90 degrees apart and in the hub, with one directly over the key. If there are two. If only one it should be over the key.

If there is no hub, the set screw(s) might be in the v groove. you might need to take the belt off to see it.

In general, I would like the engine pulley sort of close to the engine. As it gets further out it puts more load on the last bearing.
solara

Reply #2   Jan 29, 2005 8:38 pm
Robmints,

The adjustment is part of the 15 minute break in he belts are riding on the pulleys,  but the pulleys do not seem to adjust (left and rt).  the attachment pulley may be slightly  so i would like to adjust it.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
robmints

Reply #3   Jan 29, 2005 9:06 pm
I know nothing about your machine. Generally or in particular

But, it would be my guess that you should be adjusting an idler or a cable controlling an idler to compensate for belt stretch. You should not need to adjust for pulley alignment unless there was something wrong with the assembly of the machine.

Is there a problem with getting the dealer to do the adjustments?
newtonian

Reply #4   Jan 29, 2005 9:18 pm
I have an 8526 which needed the belt adjusted after an hour of use.  The belt was slipping so much the auger stoped turning; had to move the idler onto the inner mounting hole to get it going agian.  Thought I'd adjust the belt at the first oil change, but it didn't wait.

First, adjust the cable as instructed in the manual.  If the auger still isn't working properly, remove the plastic cover over the belts by undoing the two bolts that go through it.  You'll see the idler pulley at the 11:00 position if you were standing in front of the machine.  Unbolt it using a socket wrench and you'll see the second mounting hole.  You won't see the second hold unless you remove pulley wheel.  Note the order of the parts when you are taking it apart, and also note the forward side of the pulley.  A momentary squeal while you're pressing on the handlebar lever to engage the auger is normal.  You should also check that the belt guiding fingers and other things are inline and turn true as they should be.  Haven't done it, but someone on this board mentioned a little Ivory soap as a belt dressing.  Someone else used a conventional belt dressing with bad results.

Hope that helps.  Mine's been fine after about 6 hours of use since adjusting. 

Was that you in front  of me buying the 8526 snowblower at the Home Depot in Watertown?
This message was modified Jan 29, 2005 by newtonian

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

robmints

Reply #5   Jan 29, 2005 9:19 pm
the shaft does not fit into the fastest gear foward notch. even when  it is disconnected from the shaft

Do you have a digital camera so someone that knew might be able to help?
solara

Reply #6   Jan 29, 2005 9:37 pm
robmints ihave a digital camera,but havent done the photo buket thing.  the selector just does not physiaclly go onto the final notch.

newtonian ,

i will look for that whole,,,,,,,,,,,,,But still how do u adjust  the attachment pulley?  (big black wheel on on bottom)

and  isnt there  a way to  make les substantial adjustments  so the belt rides on the  idker pulleys more evenly)?

( although i did get the blower @ watertown t was the 11526.)

ps i listed and sold  a starter on craig's list. guy called me and asked if was a 33328 or 29.  he said that there was a guy on ebay making a big point of that issue. i asked if was newtonian. he said that he did not know. Ps tthere is a guy on ebay from attleboro w/ a 33328.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #7   Jan 30, 2005 9:19 am
Solara,

I brought up this question a while back. I think the manual was not updated. I see no set screws on my 11528 and the exploded view in Parts Radar shows none. I think they were eliminated in these current models and Ariens didn't reflect that in the manual. Perhaps Snowmann could comment.

Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
newtonian

Reply #8   Jan 30, 2005 1:49 pm
I don't understand exactly what the adjustment is you are trying to make.  On mine, to adjust the belt tension it's the pulley that swings in and out as the handlebar lever is pressed and released that's adjustable.  I'd assume set screws are associated with sliding the pulleys on the shafts to align them so the belt travels straight. 

The adjustable pulley is about 2" diamater and has a single bolt holding it on.  You need to adjust the cable length before messing with the belt.  That's also in the book.

Thanks for the info on the starter I posted a long time ago.  The one I want to sell/exchange has become a paperweight in front of me... I should list it soon, but was hoping just to trade.  On Ebay they are about $100 - was hoping to get on the cheap side as it's a "retired" machine and it's just too hard on my shouler to pull the cord anymore.  You are sharp following the posts.

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #9   Jan 30, 2005 2:09 pm
The belt tension adjustment instructions do include checking the alignment of the belts. However on Solara's machine as well as mine, the only set screws are on the engine sheave pulleys. There are none on the pulleys below which contradicts the manual. As far as I can tell, there is no way to change the position of the lower pulleys.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
solara

Reply #10   Jan 30, 2005 8:58 pm
thanx jonathan. i thought i was imagining things..

i did the books adjustments. the belt sort of rides on the idler pulleys, but there seems no way to adjust  them front to back.

As to the gear selector i think that there is a problem w/ the "stamping" of the dash board. i looked at another one on the notches   are lower than  miine. ny notch panel appears to be part of dash. i know that i am doing a terrible job explaining this..

i think i will do  the adjs again. the interlock only works  when the engine is running full throttle and i really push on the attachment  handle.

newtonian i sold the 33329 on craig's list in hours. no shipping no bank accts.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Replies: 1 - 10 of 17NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42