Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Storm 5524 (Troy)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
grapeape

Storm 5524 (Troy)
Original Message   Jan 20, 2011 6:43 pm
Hello All,

I have a Troy 5524, and while out doing all the neighbors driveways, one decided not to take their paper up from the snow and I hit it.

The machine immediately stopped, I was able to restart it, and it drives fine, but the thrower handle as soon as you engage it, the machine dies.   The paper (and plastic is stuck under the black chute and it appears around a thing that spins (auger?   I've pulled away what I can, but when trying to get the chute off (4 screws I believe) the bottom 2 wont seem to come out, and the top 2 while off the plastic wont budge,  and it's not frozen on there. 

Any ideas how to get the paper off of the thing  (also tried scissors, but it only leaves the really hard to get to stuff)   I can't afford to have it repaired, and don't have a manual which might tell how to disassemble the cute and get to that area without nicking up my hands all over the blades.

I don't think I'm the only one who has ever ran over a paper, but maybe I am   lol. 
I tried to show a few different views.   

1st picture is a close up from the front view where all the paper and plastic is stuck to the top of the thing.
2nd picture is from the top of the chute down into the unit.
3rd picture is a further back view from the front.

Any advice (im a total novice with tools etc.  guess that's why I can't figure out why the screws are loose, but wont come off.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2011 by grapeape
Replies: 10 - 19 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ratdog

Re: Storm 5524 (Troy)
Reply #10   Jan 21, 2011 2:39 pm
Grapeape, Wish you the best in getting the paper away from the impeller. As far as your inconsiderate neighbor, the kind of behavior exhibited would sure make me think twice about doing something nice like blowing out his driveway in the future. ratd
borat

Reply #11   Jan 21, 2011 4:16 pm
Grapeape:

First off, the owner of the driveway that had the paper in it should be responsible for removing it from the machine.  Otherwise, no more free snow removal.  Considering you have a bad back and that you're supplying the machine, maybe one of the neighbour's with a stronger back should be doing the work.  Just my two cents. 

Have you tried using a saw blade to loosen up the wad of paper?  Might take a while but it should cut through it.  Even a hack saw blade will remove enough to allow you to pry the rest out.
grapeape

Reply #12   Jan 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies, its so nice to know that people care.

I don't know what to say about the guy who didn't come down, I don't like to judge.   Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but no one in the neighborhood asks me to do this, I just go from house to house until my back gives out, or I run out of gas, and then stop (in the gas case I walk back to the house with the machine and gas it up (so it's the same length walk back with the machine running,  It seems counterproductive, but I dont have a vehicle to push or pull it in)   anyway since no one is asking me to do this, I feel kinda left out in the cold  (oh  bad pun  LOL) about if they should do anything,  they are probably mad as all the paper which I couldn't pick up (I got most of it, and put it on his doorstep as he didn't even bring out a trashcan or offer to help pick it up)

Machine has been in a heated garage all night and hoping that all these ideas will help now that everything has dried up. 

To the poster about the spark plug  thank you so much,  I don't however have any tools like that,  I just have a few screwdrivers and a few wrenches (very small ones).

I'm a computer nerd and can fix that stuff just fine, machines, not so much. 

I will take pictures if it gets fixed as I think that all of you who invested your time answering my problem would be interested to know how it all came out. 
Oh, BTW one guy yesterday offered me some cash,  it actually looked to be a good bit with a five on the outside (could have been all ones under it, but I bet it was like $15)  I turned it down, but it was cool to offer.  One guy in the neighborhood told me to stop he didn't want me doing his driveway and I said I don't charge nor do I accept any tips, he still said leave.   That was last year, and I see him with one of those little tiny snow blowers this year and it takes him 40 minutes or more to do a small driveway, I still offer to do his as this workhorse can do it in hardly any time  (well it could do it  lol)

Anyway,  thanks so much again.     Going out there with the boiling water and a fashioned coat hanger to see what's up.

jimbedro

Reply #13   Jan 21, 2011 7:39 pm
I ate a newspaper once with my Toro Powershift 824. I started by cutting the paper. The progress was too slow. I removed the 2 bolts holding the impeller to the shaft and was able to twistthe impeller immmedaitly clearing the jambed paper. How is the impeller mounted to theshaft in the Troybilt? 
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #14   Jan 21, 2011 9:18 pm
Just take your time, keep softening it up with small applications of water and pick away at it slowly until you get it out. There is really no magic bullet in this case. Take care of your back, and if it makes you happy to help out others by cleaning up their snow, then that is it's own reward. Keep making yourself happy.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
borat

Reply #15   Jan 21, 2011 9:21 pm
A local kid used to be a  paper boy here.  Not that I subscribed to a newspaper but the kid also delivered tons of flyers.   He was a sneaky little jerk and would leave multiples of the same flyers on my steps without bundling them up.  I'd come home and find flyers all over the yard and neighbourhood.  Wasn't too happy with that so I complained to the newspaper that he worked for.   So, he get's the bundling part down but still leaves multiples of the same flyers and got into the habit of throwing them across the driveway to land where ever.  I spoke to the kid a few times and he agreed to stop doing it but never stopped doing it.  

One winter I hit a wad of flyers with the snow blower.  Not too bad of a mess but enough to pi$$ me off.    Knowing where the kid lived, I planned my revenge.  I prepared a couple stout bundles of flyers and kept them ready for the next big snow storm.  During the storm, I went for a bit of a walk and deposited  a couple bundles of flyers into the snow on the kid's driveway.  We got a good dump that night,  probably eight inches or so of dry but fine, heavy snow.   The next morning, after clearing my driveway, I decide to take a walk around the block to see how things were going down at the "site".   Sure enough, the driveway was partly done and I could see  their snow blower sitting silently in the garage.  The kid, not looking too happy was half heartedly puttering about with a snow shovel.  Nobody was working on the machine, but I assumed that I had achieved my goal.

As the expression aptly goes, "Revenge is a dish best served cold."   

Ultimately, that paper boy was so much trouble the company installed boxes for the papers to be deposited in at the end of customers driveways and delivery is now done by an adult driving a car. 
grapeape

Reply #16   Jan 22, 2011 4:32 am
I forgot to add something which I think is funny to this story.

The first time I did this guys house (actually his parents house he's late 30's back living at home again or maybe early 40's.

Anyway he shook my hand and was happy I was doing it, and asked me if I wanted a beer, I told him that I had a machine to fix my back and alcohol interfered with the machine and the chemicals in the machine so I'd pass and he said how about a coke.   Now I'm losing weight, but at that time and place, a coke sounds incredible and I was like ya, that would hit the spot totally.    He comes back and says all we have is diet, here you go.

Man to get in your head you are going to have something and get your mouth watering for it, and then be brought something different, really bites  lol.

Going to go tomorrow and work on it, got down to 3 degrees tonight and even in a heated garage, it was still cold (a breeze coming from under the door  (something rubber needs to be replaced, but I can't figure it out and how to put it on)
Thank you again for all the replies, it does make me happy to think that I can help someone at something. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm the big dog as I go by with my big snowblower and people have this little teeny thing which looks like it would do 6" at a time and you have to go very slow lol.  I tell them to hold on and I'll have it done in a few minutes and they can go in and be with their families,  but maybe they like doing it also.    I just haven't found people who enjoy snow blowing,  maybe if it was a forced job everyday, I might feel different, but as it is now, if it snowed 10 days in a row, 10 days I'd be out doing this,   gotta figure out a way to bring gas with me though.  When I get close to out, I have to walk 1/2 mile back to my house to get gas and then use up 1/2 mile of gas going to the last place I was at and the same amount heading back.     Maybe start off at the furthest house and end up with houses closer to me. 

I wonder all of you who have answered.  If you were out doing people's driveways and such and never even got a thank you when the family was at home, would you keep doing it as you do it to help others and you are still helping by doing it, or is it inappropriate and or selfish to want to have someone out of the lot say thanks, nice job, or anything.     We are on assistance and even the money for gas on the blower is tough for us, but the enjoyment is like my chance to go to the movie or out to dinner (we can't really afford either)    Sometime it would be nice even if they didn't offer any money to say hey can I fill that tank up for you (I think it holds like 1/3 gallon or maybe 1/4 but it's small,  appears to do 5 driveways before needing to be refilled.

Just wondered our opinions.

Take care.
Shryp

Reply #17   Jan 22, 2011 4:59 am
The Diet Coke - That would suck.

The Door Rubber - Those usually just get nailed / screwed to the bottom of the door.  The ones I have seen are always just open the door and put it flat on the bottom.

The Gas - Does your machine have a Tecumseh engine?  The smaller engines come with half gallon tanks and the larger ones come with 1 gallon tanks.  The mounts are the same so you can probably get a used tank off ebay or from someplace local and double the size of the tank provided you have enough room around the handlebars.  If you have a local small engine shop close by they probably have a blown up engine in the back somewhere you might be able to snag one off.  You could probably mount a second tank on the front / back of the engine and tie the two together if need be.  This would be for the old L-Head design.  The OHV engines are a little different and I am not sure if they would be interchangeable without a lot of work.  Your other choice would be to somehow mount a gas can on the handle bars or something.
This message was modified Jan 22, 2011 by Shryp
grapeape

Reply #18   Jan 23, 2011 12:08 am
Thank you Shryp,   hope we get more snow,  the idea about the tank is a great one.
Paul7

Reply #19   Jan 23, 2011 12:48 am
grapeape wrote:
...no one in the neighborhood asks me to do this, I just go from house to house until my back gives out, or I run out of gas...

Funny story...Years ago I lived in Pittsburgh and was on an out of town business trip with a co-worker.  The day before we returned Pittsburgh got hit with an 8-10 inch snow storm.  My buddy was excited about the snow because he just bought a new Toro 2 stage after years of using a shovel and couldn't wait to use it for the first time.  We had car-pooled to the airport so I drove him home and as we approached his house he started screaming obscenities.  A well-meaning neighbor had totally cleared his driveway an hour before we got there.  Poor guy looked ready to cry.

grapeape...good luck with the jam.  Most of us have been in your shoes.  A sturdy pick, something like a heavy duty cotter pin puller may be helpful.  And be careful...the spark plug recommendation is important.
This message was modified Jan 23, 2011 by Paul7
Replies: 10 - 19 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42