Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Storm 5524 (Troy)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
grapeape

Storm 5524 (Troy)
Original Message   Jan 20, 2011 6:43 pm
Hello All,

I have a Troy 5524, and while out doing all the neighbors driveways, one decided not to take their paper up from the snow and I hit it.

The machine immediately stopped, I was able to restart it, and it drives fine, but the thrower handle as soon as you engage it, the machine dies.   The paper (and plastic is stuck under the black chute and it appears around a thing that spins (auger?   I've pulled away what I can, but when trying to get the chute off (4 screws I believe) the bottom 2 wont seem to come out, and the top 2 while off the plastic wont budge,  and it's not frozen on there. 

Any ideas how to get the paper off of the thing  (also tried scissors, but it only leaves the really hard to get to stuff)   I can't afford to have it repaired, and don't have a manual which might tell how to disassemble the cute and get to that area without nicking up my hands all over the blades.

I don't think I'm the only one who has ever ran over a paper, but maybe I am   lol. 
I tried to show a few different views.   

1st picture is a close up from the front view where all the paper and plastic is stuck to the top of the thing.
2nd picture is from the top of the chute down into the unit.
3rd picture is a further back view from the front.

Any advice (im a total novice with tools etc.  guess that's why I can't figure out why the screws are loose, but wont come off.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2011 by grapeape
Replies: 1 - 10 of 22NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ratdog

Re: Storm 5524 (Troy)
Reply #1   Jan 20, 2011 7:14 pm
I've never gotten a newspaper jambed in like that, but the last thing I would do is stick my hand in there. Plenty of people have lost fingers because of the tension/windup causing the parts to spin once they get unfrozen. Be careful.
MN_Runner

Reply #2   Jan 20, 2011 7:36 pm
I would boil a few buckets of water then pour the hot boiling water to the affected area and let the plastic become soft so you can pull it out and try to dissolve paper with hot water.  Please be careful so you don't burn yourself and cut your fingers/arm/hand as you try to free the plastic.  Wish you the best and hopefully happy ending.
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #3   Jan 20, 2011 7:52 pm
First off REMOVE the spark plug!!! The motor might be storing up compression,when the paper comes loose with your hand in there,look out. As was mentioned use water to soften up the paper. Fashion a hook out of strong wire and work the softened paper out. Keep the paper wet and use the hook. Just a little space between the houseing and impeller will let you get bigger pieces out and free up the impeller.

Hope this helps
T.J.

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
grapeape

Reply #4   Jan 20, 2011 7:52 pm
Thanks for the replies,  I did previously pour very hot water (it wasn't boiling) into the chute and then onto the area from the front, but it only allowed me to get to a little bit.

Thanks Rat, now I don't want to mess with it at all  lol. 
Bill_H

Reply #5   Jan 20, 2011 10:05 pm
You've already tried hot water, but do it again now that it has soaked for a while.  I hope you didn't leave it outside to freeze!!!  The next step is a big (long) knife. The thing in the back where the paper is jammed is the impeller. It spins counterclockwise and tosses the snow (fed to it by the two big augers) up into the chute. From the pics, that's where the jam is. Try to cut away the paper at the end of the impeller. If you can slice through most of it, the rest will fall off.  The "thrower handle" tightens the belts that spin the shaft the impeller is mounted on, because it can't spin, it dies. Don't worry about engine compression, you've already run the engine with the front disengaged. Just concentrate on slicing off the paper in front of the impeller (to the left of it) from the front. Once that's cleared the stuff behind it will fall off.  Also, you might be able to get a big pair of pliers down the chute and pull some of it out, it's hard to tell from the pics.

I once cleared a jam like this quickly and easily with a torch. But I was going to repaint it anyway   You don't want to do that.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Bill_H

Reply #6   Jan 20, 2011 10:05 pm
You've already tried hot water, but do it again now that it has soaked for a while.  I hope you didn't leave it outside to freeze!!!  The next step is a big (long) knife. The thing in the back where the paper is jammed is the impeller. It spins counterclockwise and tosses the snow (fed to it by the two big augers) up into the chute. From the pics, that's where the jam is. Try to cut away the paper at the end of the impeller. If you can slice through most of it, the rest will fall off.  The "thrower handle" tightens the belts that spin the shaft the impeller is mounted on, because it can't spin, it dies. Don't worry about engine compression, you've already run the engine with the front disengaged. Just concentrate on slicing off the paper in front of the impeller (to the left of it) from the front. Once that's cleared the stuff behind it will fall off.  Also, you might be able to get a big pair of pliers down the chute and pull some of it out, it's hard to tell from the pics.

I once cleared a jam like this quickly and easily with a torch. But I was going to repaint it anyway   You don't want to do that.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Shryp

Reply #7   Jan 21, 2011 4:35 am
You can probably use a 2x4 and a sledge hammer to spin it out.  Just be careful as troy built/MTD is known to use not the thickest metal.  That impeller looks fairly strong though.  It looks like your biggest problem is the fin that is straight up, so if you spin it backwards a quarter turn you should knock it loose out the chute.  A 4 blade impeller would be easier because it looks like it is turned at an angle that you might not be able to get a good hit in on it.

You might get some more room to work if you unbolt both sides around the augers.  They are usually held in by 3 bolts on each side in a triangle pattern.  You won't be able to pull the whole assembly out since the belt and drive pulley are still connected in back.  I think someone else had to do that to get a door mat out about a month ago.  With the front shaft for the augers unbolted it will give you a little room to move it side to side and up and down.

If all else fails, take it back to your neighbors and tell him either he gets it out or you won't do his driveway anymore :)
This message was modified Jan 21, 2011 by Shryp
grapeape

Reply #8   Jan 21, 2011 12:45 pm
Thank you for all the messages,  I brought it inside the garage and will douse it in boiling water.

To the poster about the sparkplug, I wouldn't have a clue how to take the plug out.

The last poster.   I have all kinds of back problems, and I do everyone's driveway in the neighborhood because I want to help and it doesn't really hurt (until I'm done, then it hurts badly)   the guy who's driveway I got stuck in knew about my back problem and saw me with the machine turned upside down in his driveway and he said "howdy neighbor, hows it going"  I said crappy, and he said well that's good  and moved on about his business.

The nice part of me which does all these driveways for no pay (not even if offered) says keep doing his driveway as you are doing it to be nice, the other part of me says, don't do it anymore as he didn't even offer to help you fix it. 

I thought by removing the chute I could have access to that auger and be able to help unwind stuff that way.   Thank you for all the replies, I will get to work on it tonight.

Take care.
This message was modified Jan 21, 2011 by grapeape
Shryp

Reply #9   Jan 21, 2011 1:05 pm
He saw you with the machine upside down in HIS driveway with an obvious problem and didn't offer to help fix or pay for anything?

Sounds to me you found out where to pile everyone's snow from now on. :)

To add to the spark plug removal:  grab the wire on top of the plug and twist while pulling up, then get a deep socket and unscrew it.  It is that simple.
They make special spark plug sockets that have a rubber insert in them, but any deep well socket should do the job.  They do have a couple different sizes.

This should be part of your end of season storage since it is a good idea to remove the plug to put some oil inside the engine to prevent rust.
This message was modified Jan 21, 2011 by Shryp
ratdog

Reply #10   Jan 21, 2011 2:39 pm
Grapeape, Wish you the best in getting the paper away from the impeller. As far as your inconsiderate neighbor, the kind of behavior exhibited would sure make me think twice about doing something nice like blowing out his driveway in the future. ratd
Replies: 1 - 10 of 22NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42