Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need some opinions please

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
estroner

Need some opinions please
Original Message   Nov 29, 2010 2:29 pm
I am looking at replacing a 25 year old snow blower. I live in Iowa and have a driveway that measures roughly 70X30. I do get some nice drifting, last year over the bed of my old truck, and some nice piles at the end of the drive. I am looking at the Toro Power Max 2-Stage 26 in. Snow Blower and the Ariens Deluxe 2-Stage 28 in. Snow Blower. They are the same price so I am not really sure which one to buy. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies: 17 - 26 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Spartan

Re: Need some opinions please
Reply #17   Jan 15, 2011 5:34 pm
I have the Ariens Deluxe 2 Stage 28 inch.  It's built like a tank. It's a great machine.  I considered the Toro you're referring to but ultimately went with Ariens.  Given the opportunity again, I'd make the same decision.  Both the Toro and Ariens are fine machines.  However, with its all steel construction, the Ariens felt like it  had more of a solid feel to it than the Toro...a better build quality over all you could say...that's the perception I had.   Also, if the Ariens has a more powerful engine, then the choice is clear, go with the Ariens. 
trouts2

Reply #18   Jan 15, 2011 5:46 pm
MN_Runner, if you google GC vx GX you'll get some good info.

>>>MN_RUNNER, "Why are you pitting Yamaha against Honda?"

Borat hates Honda.  Blue was the greatest thing to come down the pike for turning a Honda hater into a Honda basher at the slightest oppertunity. 

Borat dosen't open his wallet that much and has to treat it with anti-sieze so it won't lock up.  The cost of a Honda or Yamaha would give him a heart attack.  His was under doctors orders to get a snowblower to replace the shovel or he never would have bought one.  

>>> There's a new king in the snow blower world and it's painted blue.

Well sort of.  There are big Hondas out there we don't see.  What about those to Blue? 

>>>Yamaha will soundly spank any equivalent Honda.

"Equivalent Honda"?

If you're going to stop at the HS1132 that's not the "equivalent Honda".    Take the HS1132.  Is that the "equivalent Honda"?  Bucks wise, power wise, build wise & etc.  There are a lot of considerations for comparison.   It would be tough to consider, "I'd bet that  in every imaginable operational aspect." to be true without knowing more about the Yamaha.  If you know what's under the hood post it.  Which model are you comparing to what Blue?  I can't find much other than marketing lit on the net.

>>>There's a new king in the snow blower world and it's painted blue. 

So the question is what is the "equivalent Honda"?  Are you drawing the line at HS828, HS928, HS1132 or what? 

shiva916

Reply #19   Jan 15, 2011 5:55 pm
I love the guys on here that are all about Honda machines. While no one will doubt that they are great, the OP is looking in the low $1k price range and asking about 2 particular machines. Someone almost always comes on who loves and/or owns a Honda and suggests they spend almost 3x the money that they were asking the question about. If they were considering spending close to $3k on a machine I'm sure they would have posted that in the first place.

I am perfectly happy with my $700 Ariens, and while some may scoff at it's lack of headlight, differential, non heated grips and small engine it does the job well enough for my needs. To me I was not crazy with the chute mechanism on the deluxe (ice drill I think it's called), I just found it kind of awkward to reach over the control panel to crank the chute. Had the deluxe had the same quick turn chute on the compacts I might have considered it. The toro stick does look pretty slick although I've never actually used one other than playing around in the stores.

borat

Reply #20   Jan 15, 2011 6:10 pm
It would appear that the Honda aficionados might be feeling a little inadequate. 

Maybe now we'll be hearing a little less crowing about the "end all and be all Honda".

A refreshing change.  'Bout time.
tkrotchko

Reply #21   Jan 15, 2011 7:04 pm
trouts2 wrote:
MN_Runner, if you google GC vx GX you'll get some good info.

>>>MN_RUNNER, "Why are you pitting Yamaha against Honda?"

Borat hates Honda.  Blue was the greatest thing to come down the pike for turning a Honda hater into a Honda basher at the slightest oppertunity. 

Borat dosen't open his wallet that much and has to treat it with anti-sieze so it won't lock up.  The cost of a Honda or Yamaha would give him a heart attack.  His was under doctors orders to get a snowblower to replace the shovel or he never would have bought one.  

>>> There's a new king in the snow blower world and it's painted blue.

Well sort of.  There are big Hondas out there we don't see.  What about those to Blue? 

>>>Yamaha will soundly spank any equivalent Honda.

"Equivalent Honda"?

If you're going to stop at the HS1132 that's not the "equivalent Honda".    Take the HS1132.  Is that the "equivalent Honda"?  Bucks wise, power wise, build wise & etc.  There are a lot of considerations for comparison.   It would be tough to consider, "I'd bet that  in every imaginable operational aspect." to be true without knowing more about the Yamaha.  If you know what's under the hood post it.  Which model are you comparing to what Blue?  I can't find much other than marketing lit on the net.

>>>There's a new king in the snow blower world and it's painted blue. 

So the question is what is the "equivalent Honda"?  Are you drawing the line at HS828, HS928, HS1132 or what? 

http://www.honda.co.jp/snow/products/hss970i_1170i.html

That's the Honda equivalent.

joed

Reply #22   Jan 15, 2011 7:11 pm
I had a similar decision to make last month.  I ended up going with the Toro 826 two stage.  So far, it's been a beautiful machine.  Very well-balanced, fast, blows the snow a long way, and really easy to turn.   I tried out an Ariens platinum deluxe before choosing.  It's a nice machine too but tougher to move even with the auto differential lock.
Paul7

Reply #23   Jan 15, 2011 7:13 pm
The issue that I have with Honda and Yamaha is that they keep their best machines for the Japanese market.  Over here we have to muscle and jerk their heavy tracked machines around...but in Japan they have dual hydro driven tracks to turn their high end machines. 
MN_Runner

Reply #24   Jan 15, 2011 7:29 pm
Paul7,

The main reason we have big and brute versions of Yamaha and Honda is that we, North Americans, are physically stronger and can handle the weight.  Average japanese is around 5'5" with a weigjt of 130 lb.  On other hand, we north americans are around 5'10" and weigh around 200 lb.   So the japanese market demands fancier models but less likely to die from a heart attack since they are conditioned to insane prices.

Borat,

Before going to a Yamaha dealer, please carry a defibrillator with you in case you develop a deleterious VF.  We need your voice in this forum. 

MN_Runner

Reply #25   Jan 15, 2011 7:29 pm
Borat,

When you buy a Yamaha, please let us know. I will not wait for that special event.

This message was modified Jan 15, 2011 by MN_Runner
trouts2

Reply #26   Jan 15, 2011 7:40 pm
 >>the OP is looking in the low $1k price range

I think the original poster is long gone and the thread done.

>>tkrotchko

That's what I was looking for and I believe there are models above that looking like a Durango.  The place one would be sure to find high end pictures of Honda machines is Borat's dartboard. 

OK Borat where's the beef?   Your dissing on Honda at every oppertunity.  Here's your chance to plant the flag.   What's so great about which Yamaha compared to which equivalent Honda?  I've had, used and worked on several Yamahas and think they are fantastic.  I've now worked on 3 Honda and think they are fantastic.  I would lean somewhat to Yamaha for a few reasons on the years and models I know but I don't know the newer Honda or Yamaha.  Your help to unmask the wonders of the Yamaha to compare with the cheaply built Honda that would never tempt you wipe the dust off the conbination lock to the vault would be of assistance to educate the homeless guys at the library.

JGtravelor<<<< Didn't he get booted?

This message was modified Jan 15, 2011 by trouts2
Replies: 17 - 26 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42