Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Power Clear 221QE and 421QE Starting When Really Cold

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jackrabbit000

Toro Power Clear 221QE and 421QE Starting When Really Cold
Original Message   Jan 10, 2011 7:34 pm
I'm looking at either buying the Toro 2-cycle 221QE or the 4-cycle 421QE.  One dealer I talked to said that the 4-cycle 163cc engine will be almost impossible to start, even with the electric start, if stored in an unheated garage at -20C.  He said that he has lots of people who bought this machine come back and complain about it not starting when really cold.  He had both the 2-cycle and 4-cycle models in the showroom and recommended that I buy the 2-cycle and that I would be a lot happier with it.  Another dealer said that it just comes down to personal preference on which one you want to buy and that they are both just as easy to start when the temp is really cold out.  Anyone have any comments about cold starting on the 421QE?  This is the one I would like to buy because it would be a little bit quieter and the exhaust wouldn't stink as much as the 2-cycle.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by jackrabbit000
Replies: 37 - 46 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jackrabbit000

Re: Toro Power Clear 221QE and 421QE Starting When Really Cold
Reply #37   Jan 12, 2011 10:34 pm
I wonder if the 421Q/QE has the same problem as in this recall of the Power Clear 180 dated 7/14/10.

Snow Blowers Recalled by The Toro Company Due to Fire Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following product. Consumers should stop using products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of product: Power Clear 180 Single Stage Snow Blowers

Units: About 35,700 in the United States and 2,300 in Canada

Manufacturer: The Toro Company, of Bloomington, Minn. Hazard: Exposure to ethanol in gasoline can cause the carburetor needle to become corroded. A corroded needle can stick in the open position and allow fuel to leak from the carburetor, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Toro has received 2,200 reports of carburetor leaks. No fires or injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves Toro® Power Clear 180 Single Stage snow blowers. The recalled snow blowers have model numbers 38272 and 38282. Serial numbers included in the recall range from 310000001 through 310999999. The model and serial number can be found on a decal on the lower right side of the snow blower.

Sold at: Toro dealers and The Home Depot stores nationwide from November 2009 through May 2010 for between $400 and $440.

Manufactured in: U.S.A.

Remedy: Consumers should immediately check to see if their snow blowers are included in this recall and contact an authorized Toro service dealer to arrange a free repair. To obtain the location of the nearest dealer, consumers should contact Toro.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Toro toll-free at (877) 738-4440 between 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s website at www.toro.com.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #38   Jan 12, 2011 10:57 pm
jackrabbit000 wrote:
I wonder if the 421Q/QE has the same problem as in this recall of the Power Clear 180 dated 7/14/10.

Snow Blowers Recalled by The Toro Company Due to Fire Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following product. Consumers should stop using products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of product: Power Clear 180 Single Stage Snow Blowers

Description: This recall involves Toro® Power Clear 180 Single Stage snow blowers. The recalled snow blowers have model numbers 38272 and 38282. Serial numbers included in the recall range from 310000001 through 310999999. The model and serial number can be found on a decal on the lower right side of the snow blower.

No it just involves the Power Clear 180. If there was a recall for the 221Q/421Q it would be a seperate recall notice and it would list the affected units by serial number just like this one does.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #39   Jan 13, 2011 6:25 am
saskwinter wrote:
I live in Saskatchewan (which is as cold-if not colder- than Alberta).  My 221 QE starts easily, however the carb *always* freezes up and causes it to run in a lean (over reving) condition.  The only way to solve this problem has been to point a blow dryer at the carb for about two minutes before operation- often it will freeze up during operation.

Toro customer service has been zero help...they simply said, "sorry, that can happen in cold weather."  I would not buy this unit again.

Good luck.

Typical response for Toro customer service. If the issue isn't one where they have  exposure in terms of  safety related product liability  they could care less. I own and like two Toro products but avoid buying Toro if I can because of their attitude towards consumers.

With sincere appologies to Steve Cebu who is the most loyal customer Toro or any other manufacturer of anything ever had !

Marc

This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
joed

Reply #40   Jan 13, 2011 6:49 am
I just bought the toro powerclear 180 a few weeks back.  I think it has a mini-version of the 163 cc engine found on the 421q toro.  It seems to start fine in cold weather.  The dealer also said that the the leaking fuel problem on last year's units has been solved.   I have used it a few times and it's not too bad as long as you don't attack large mounds of snow.  I also have a toro 826 two stage.  If I didn't I'd have bought the 221q unit.   I'm hoping Home Depot keeps lowering their price in Toronto.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #41   Jan 13, 2011 9:51 am
mml4 wrote:
Typical response for Toro customer service. If the issue isn't one where they have  exposure in terms of  safety related product liability  they could care less. I own and like two Toro products but avoid buying Toro if I can because of their attitude towards consumers.

With sincere appologies to Steve Cebu who is the most loyal customer Toro or any other manufacturer of anything ever had !

Marc

Thanks, I think

I really like their products but I'd be the first one to call up and $#%* if I had a problem. So far my dealer is a memory. I saw him a few times when testing machines but not since then. Yes I do have them do the service, but other than that no problems except when I was getting all those flat tires from the idiots who put the roof on the house and decided to not pick up the nails afterwards.

All companies do this BS nowadays. I'm looking to get a new laptop, do you think any of them have good customer service and tech support? ROFL! Toro told me their authorized dealers ARE their tech support. The Honda snowblower dealer now they were really difficult.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
saskwinter

Reply #42   Jan 13, 2011 10:11 am
Update....It was -31 this morning and the machine (after using the blow dryer for 5 minutes) froze up during operation (no power).  Back to the garage for another blow dryer session.  Toro could care less.  My dealer (mom & pop type) are apologetic, but have no answers.

I wold not recommend this machine for anyone living in the prairie provinces- especially if you don't have a heated garage.

The depressing part is- when it works, it fabulous....when it works....

All the Dale Carnegie courses in the world could not get Toro to give a hoot!

Sorry to step on your thread, jackrabbit.
borat

Reply #43   Jan 13, 2011 10:55 am
I have purposely avoided buy anything Toro due to the Company's and the dealerships hubris.  From my experience with the local Toro dealership,  I've seen nothing but arrogance and outright disrespect for customers.   When the local Husqvarna dealership closed down, the Toro dealership absorbed their business.  I had the misfortune of being left with no choice but to buy a riding mower belt and an air filter from the Toro dealership.  I needed the items right away and nobody else had anything in stock.  Not only were the prices outrageous, the demeanor of the staff was insulting.  They seemed take some perverse joy in seeing the price shock from customers.  They actually laughed and made jokes about the prices.   When I questioned why the price of the air filter was almost three times that of the price at a box store,   they laughed and said "Wait until you see the price of the belt!"   Now if that isn't arrogance, I don't know what is.   I have not and will not ever buy a Toro or an Ariens or anything else from that dealer.  Ever!  I'll cut the grass with a pair of scissors first. 
aa335

Reply #44   Jan 13, 2011 11:00 am
saskwinter wrote:
Update....It was -31 this morning and the machine (after using the blow dryer for 5 minutes) froze up during operation (no power).  Back to the garage for another blow dryer session.  Toro could care less.  My dealer (mom & pop type) are apologetic, but have no answers.

I wold not recommend this machine for anyone living in the prairie provinces- especially if you don't have a heated garage.

Under those conditions, I wonder if any other machine would have the same issues? 
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #45   Jan 13, 2011 1:42 pm
joed wrote:
I just bought the toro powerclear 180 a few weeks back.  I think it has a mini-version of the 163 cc engine found on the 421q toro.  It seems to start fine in cold weather.  The dealer also said that the the leaking fuel problem on last year's units has been solved.   I have used it a few times and it's not too bad as long as you don't attack large mounds of snow.  I also have a toro 826 two stage.  If I didn't I'd have bought the 221q unit.   I'm hoping Home Depot keeps lowering their price in Toronto.

I am not waiting for the price drops any longer on the CA$607.50+tx Toro 221QE that I am sitting on, brand new in its factory sealed box. Back to HD it goes. Walmart just swapped out my Poulan PRO PR521 136 cm3 unit last night for a brand new Poulan PRO PR621ES with electric start and 208 cm3 motor.  (There were some false advertising and packaging issues that WM & supplier made good on.)

All said and done, this Poulan cost me merely CA$236.88+tx, or 39% of the Toro's cost.  Makes it hard to justify the costlier Toro when the Ariens is the main machine anyways.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

saskwinter

Reply #46   Jan 13, 2011 3:05 pm
I hope that the Poulan provides you with years of trouble free service.  Does Husky have a comparable model in their line-up, yet?
Replies: 37 - 46 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42