Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Power Clear 221QE and 421QE Starting When Really Cold

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jackrabbit000

Toro Power Clear 221QE and 421QE Starting When Really Cold
Original Message   Jan 10, 2011 7:34 pm
I'm looking at either buying the Toro 2-cycle 221QE or the 4-cycle 421QE.  One dealer I talked to said that the 4-cycle 163cc engine will be almost impossible to start, even with the electric start, if stored in an unheated garage at -20C.  He said that he has lots of people who bought this machine come back and complain about it not starting when really cold.  He had both the 2-cycle and 4-cycle models in the showroom and recommended that I buy the 2-cycle and that I would be a lot happier with it.  Another dealer said that it just comes down to personal preference on which one you want to buy and that they are both just as easy to start when the temp is really cold out.  Anyone have any comments about cold starting on the 421QE?  This is the one I would like to buy because it would be a little bit quieter and the exhaust wouldn't stink as much as the 2-cycle.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by jackrabbit000
Replies: 27 - 36 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jackrabbit000

Re: Toro Power Clear 221QE and 421QE Starting When Really Cold
Reply #27   Jan 11, 2011 8:29 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Glad to be of help and I was curious myself. Interesting info about the gas leak too. I didn't ask about that.

So are you going to get a 421 this year or wait until next year?

I'm going to check into the carbeurator gas leak a bit more before getting one.  Since Toro has not decided to do a recall on the 421 yet, I would hate to buy one and have the leaking gas problem especially when the machine will be stored inside my garage.  Probably going to get the 421QE myself.  They cost around $1000 here.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #28   Jan 11, 2011 8:57 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Steve,

You have been promoted to Saint Toro!

That would be even funnier if you knew my last name. ROFL!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Steve_Cebu

Reply #29   Jan 11, 2011 8:59 pm
jackrabbit000 wrote:
I'm going to check into the carbeurator gas leak a bit more before getting one.  Since Toro has not decided to do a recall on the 421 yet, I would hate to buy one and have the leaking gas problem especially when the machine will be stored inside my garage.  Probably going to get the 421QE myself.  They cost around $1000 here.

Maybe you could check the serial number on the unit you are buying? Other than that I guess you have to take a risk if it'll leak gas or not. I'd just call up a bunch of places and check their serial numbers. You might get one built before the problem.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #30   Jan 11, 2011 9:03 pm
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Probably going to get the 421QE myself.  They cost around $1000 here.

Ouch! If you might instead sway towards the two-stroke 221QE, you could save a bundle buy having one shipped from the Toronto area where at Home Depot the 221QE is going for CA$675.00.  HD SKU 490090. Maybe Alberta, Canada HD locations will price match. On my way home this evening, I swung by the Elgin Mills / Leslie (Richmond Hill) location where they have 98 units on hand, still at CA$675.

I am paying close attention to the price as I bought a 221QE on Dec 22/10 and I have it still sealed in the box awaiting a price drop and a price match opportunity (within 30 days or rejuvenation thereof).  (I also have an Ariens in use to get me through anything white that comes our way, but so far a light snow winter around here.) With 10% off the $675 for first use of HD card I got it for CA$607.50 but I am still looking for a better deal since last season's HD price history was pretty sweet; Jan 22/10 down to CA$499, Feb 24/10 down to CA$399. That was around Toronto. A Montreal location cleared out their last few 221QE units at CA$299 on Feb 24/10.

CA$1000 seems pretty steep, especially if you're kind of on the fence on 2- vs. 4-stroke.  Good luck!

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

alty

Reply #31   Jan 11, 2011 9:54 pm
Since the beginning of this winter my 421QE has started on the first or second pull every time.  It's been down to the single digits - but not

below zero yet.   When I purchased it from the local Toro Dealer - they had over twice as many 221's as 421's in stock.

saskwinter

Reply #32   Jan 12, 2011 10:15 am
I live in Saskatchewan (which is as cold-if not colder- than Alberta).  My 221 QE starts easily, however the carb *always* freezes up and causes it to run in a lean (over reving) condition.  The only way to solve this problem has been to point a blow dryer at the carb for about two minutes before operation- often it will freeze up during operation.

Toro customer service has been zero help...they simply said, "sorry, that can happen in cold weather."  I would not buy this unit again.

Good luck.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #33   Jan 12, 2011 10:17 am
saskwinter wrote:
I live in Saskatchewan (which is as cold-if not colder- than Alberta).  My 221 QE starts easily, however the carb *always* freezes up and causes it to run in a lean (over reving) condition.  The only way to solve this problem has been to point a blow dryer at the carb for about two minutes before operation- often it will freeze up during operation.

Toro customer service has been zero help...they simply said, "sorry, that can happen in cold weather."  I would not buy this unit again.

Good luck.

Do you think the 421Q would be any better or the same as the 221Q when it comes to freezing up?

saskwinter

Reply #34   Jan 12, 2011 11:28 am
It can't imagine it being any worse.  As I said, it starts easily even at -30, but it runs like junk.  I'm going to try some Iso-heet in the fuel, maybe that will help?  However, this unit freezes up whether it's -35 or -5.  Sad.
jackrabbit000

Reply #35   Jan 12, 2011 7:16 pm
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Ouch! If you might instead sway towards the two-stroke 221QE, you could save a bundle buy having one shipped from the Toronto area where at Home Depot the 221QE is going for CA$675.00.  HD SKU 490090. Maybe Alberta, Canada HD locations will price match. On my way home this evening, I swung by the Elgin Mills / Leslie (Richmond Hill) location where they have 98 units on hand, still at CA$675.

I am paying close attention to the price as I bought a 221QE on Dec 22/10 and I have it still sealed in the box awaiting a price drop and a price match opportunity (within 30 days or rejuvenation thereof).  (I also have an Ariens in use to get me through anything white that comes our way, but so far a light snow winter around here.) With 10% off the $675 for first use of HD card I got it for CA$607.50 but I am still looking for a better deal since last season's HD price history was pretty sweet; Jan 22/10 down to CA$499, Feb 24/10 down to CA$399. That was around Toronto. A Montreal location cleared out their last few 221QE units at CA$299 on Feb 24/10.

CA$1000 seems pretty steep, especially if you're kind of on the fence on 2- vs. 4-stroke.  Good luck!

I called a couple of dealers and they gave me a price of $999 for the 421QE and $899 for the 221QE.  For the extra $100 I was leaning towards the 4 stroke engine.  Since the big dump of snow last weekend, HD is sold out of everything.

jackrabbit000

Reply #36   Jan 12, 2011 7:21 pm
saskwinter wrote:

Good luck.

-27C here tonight with a wind chill of -34C tonight and this is supposed to last all week.  That's why I put up this post on starting a 221QE or 421QE.  At these temps, it's always good to do some research before actually buying one.
This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by jackrabbit000
Replies: 27 - 36 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42