Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Power Clear 221QE and 421QE Starting When Really Cold

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jackrabbit000

Toro Power Clear 221QE and 421QE Starting When Really Cold
Original Message   Jan 10, 2011 7:34 pm
I'm looking at either buying the Toro 2-cycle 221QE or the 4-cycle 421QE.  One dealer I talked to said that the 4-cycle 163cc engine will be almost impossible to start, even with the electric start, if stored in an unheated garage at -20C.  He said that he has lots of people who bought this machine come back and complain about it not starting when really cold.  He had both the 2-cycle and 4-cycle models in the showroom and recommended that I buy the 2-cycle and that I would be a lot happier with it.  Another dealer said that it just comes down to personal preference on which one you want to buy and that they are both just as easy to start when the temp is really cold out.  Anyone have any comments about cold starting on the 421QE?  This is the one I would like to buy because it would be a little bit quieter and the exhaust wouldn't stink as much as the 2-cycle.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by jackrabbit000
Replies: 17 - 26 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jackrabbit000

Re: Toro Power Clear 221QE and 421QE Starting When Really Cold
Reply #17   Jan 11, 2011 1:42 pm
Paul7 wrote:
I'm no expert but isn't it because the engine oil in a 4 stroke engine on sub zero days can get thick enough to make it hard to get the motor up to speed by pull starting?  That's why thinner oil is recommended the colder it gets.  Two strokes have no such issues since there is no crank case oil to thicken-up. 

This dealer said that it had something to do with the automatic decompression in the engine is what makes a 4-cycle hard to start when it's stored in a really cold garage.  Of course I'm no small engine expert and didn't even know what he was talking about.
aa335

Reply #18   Jan 11, 2011 2:58 pm
jackrabbit000 wrote:
This dealer said that it had something to do with the automatic decompression in the engine is what makes a 4-cycle hard to start when it's stored in a really cold garage.  Of course I'm no small engine expert and didn't even know what he was talking about.

Hmm...my Honda HS621 has decompression for starting and never had problem with the cold in an unheated garage. 

Seems like either he wants to move the 221Q due to overstock condition or that he count on uninformed users to forget adding oil to gasoline and toasting a 2 stroke engine so that he can make additional $ from out of warranty service.  :)
This message was modified Jan 11, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #19   Jan 11, 2011 3:25 pm
jackrabbit000 wrote:

Ok I called up Toro and spoke to Gabby, it doesn't matter if it's cold or not she said. But customers might be coming in and telling the dealer they have problems. It was hard to type as she was talking. She says that the authorized dealers act as tech support but she has had no complaints regarding the 421QE which does have Toro's guaranteed to start warranty which is for 2 years. She suggests that you call a different dealer in the area and ask them if they have problems with the 421QE starting. Now keep in mind I called US customer service. I hope this info helps you.

So you have a guaranteed 2 years to start warranty (at least in the US) double check for Canada and no reported problems. I'd say you're safe buying the 421QE.

As a side note Toro wants to use the video with my wife in it!  They want it sent to their email and are asking permission. So my wife is really pleased with that. Go Toro!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Shryp

Reply #20   Jan 11, 2011 3:27 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Ok I called up Toro and spoke to Gabby, it doesn't matter if it's cold or not she said. But customers might be coming in and telling the dealer they have problems. It was hard to type as she was talking. She says that the authorized dealers act as tech support but she has had no complaints regarding the 421QE which does have Toro's guaranteed to start warranty which is for 2 years. She suggests that you call a different dealer in the area and ask them if they have problems with the 421QE starting. Now keep in mind I called US customer service. I hope this info helps you.

So you have a guaranteed 2 years to start warranty (at least in the US) double check for Canada and no reported problems. I'd say you're safe buying the 421QE.

As a side note Toro wants to use the video with my wife in it!  They want it sent to their email and are asking permission. So my wife is really pleased with that. Go Toro!

Trade them for a 421QE :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #21   Jan 11, 2011 3:52 pm
Shryp wrote:
Trade them for a 421QE :)

Hey I'll be happy if they use our videos that would be awesome! Of course I would never turn down a free 421Q either.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #22   Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Hey I'll be happy if they use our videos that would be awesome! Of course I would never turn down a free 421Q either.

What is Toro doing with the video?
Steve_Cebu

Reply #23   Jan 11, 2011 4:48 pm
aa335 wrote:
What is Toro doing with the video?

They want to see if they can use it for showing people that anyone can use a Toro 2 stage or something like that. Once I have more details I will post them. I guess the fact that my wife being so small and yet able to use it is something that interests them.

jackrabbit000

Reply #24   Jan 11, 2011 6:19 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

I called Toro Canada this afternoon also and she told me exactly the same thing.  Did not know why the dealer would say that unless they had a surplus of 221's in stock.  As far as she knows there are no starting problems and also mentioned the 2 year GTS.  I also asked about the fuel leaking problem that I have read in many reviews with the 421's.  She said that there have been quite a few complaints of the carbureator leaking gas on the ones starting with serial number 331.  But right now she said that there is no recall on them and Toro is still looking into it.  They are working on a fix for the leak and we should see it in the 2012 models this fall.

Steve, thanks for calling, really nice of you to go out of your way to call and ask.  Hopefully they give you something really good for using your video.  Also, thanks everyone for your replies also this is an awesome forum for getting info.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #25   Jan 11, 2011 7:21 pm
jackrabbit000 wrote:
I called Toro Canada this afternoon also and she told me exactly the same thing.  Did not know why the dealer would say that unless they had a surplus of 221's in stock.  As far as she knows there are no starting problems and also mentioned the 2 year GTS.  I also asked about the fuel leaking problem that I have read in many reviews with the 421's.  She said that there have been quite a few complaints of the carbureator leaking gas on the ones starting with serial number 331.  But right now she said that there is no recall on them and Toro is still looking into it.  They are working on a fix for the leak and we should see it in the 2012 models this fall.

Steve, thanks for calling, really nice of you to go out of your way to call and ask.  Hopefully they give you something really good for using your video.  Also, thanks everyone for your replies also this is an awesome forum for getting info.

Glad to be of help and I was curious myself. Interesting info about the gas leak too. I didn't ask about that.

So are you going to get a 421 this year or wait until next year?

MN_Runner

Reply #26   Jan 11, 2011 7:45 pm
Steve,

You have been promoted to Saint Toro!

This message was modified Jan 11, 2011 by MN_Runner
Replies: 17 - 26 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42