Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lseap107

Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Original Message   Jan 9, 2011 9:57 am
I am considering replacing my Ariens 926 snowblower with possilby a Honda.  I want a better motor and something that is going to tackle the plowed driveway a little better.  I think if I could get a Subaru motor on a larger size Ariens, I would still consider one but they only offer it on the smaller compact model.  Anyway, I can't make up my mind on a tracked model or wheeled model honda.  I live in Wisconsin and have a 3 car wide driveway and sidewalk to do.  Will the tracked unit clear down to the cement or do I have to shovel the little bit it leaves behind after blowing?  Also, would I be able to turn 180 degrees when I get to the end of my sidewalk with the tracked unit or would I have to make my turn in the driveway because I may need more room to make a turn on about a 4 foot wide sidewalk?  Probably still have to do that with a wheeled unit anyway.  I've head a few people state that the tracked unit moves a little easier when you have a little bit of snow under the track but since I have a concrete drive, I may not have that little bit extra to easy the turn.  I really would like to try one out but most all of the dealers around here don't stock the two stage only the single stage.  I would assume because of price and low sales on the larger units.  I saw a used HS1230TA from about 2004 for $2500 but feel that might be too big.  It looks like new and only has about 4 hours of use.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John 

Replies: 23 - 32 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
FrankMA

Re: Honda HS928WA or HS928TA ?
Reply #23   Jan 10, 2011 8:14 am
rubinew wrote:
This is good to read. I am very interested in getting a tracked Yamaha, and there are more ppl that complain about tracks, than those who like them :-)

I was begining to get a bit nervous that I might regret the track. I have the same porblem with my current blower, the rocking, wiggling, and plain fighting with it to keep the auger in the snow.

All of that goes away with the track drive. Set the bucket in the middle position, adjust the hydrostatic tranny speed and let the augers process the snow, slush, etc...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #24   Jan 10, 2011 10:55 am
The 926 Ariens has a good power to auger width ratio and shouldn't lack "oomph". Perhaps the carb is set below the 3600rpm level. I bought a Toro Professional grade mulching Lawn Mower with a 6hp. Kawi a number of years ago that didn't mulch the grass very well at all.  I put a tach on it and found the engine was turning about 3050 rpm. I adjusted up to 3550 and it made all the difference in the world.

I spoke to the dealer who told me that the engine manufacturers usually set the engines below the 3600 mark.

With regard to the riding up issue -Have you tried a weight kit? Very few people do but in my experience they are very effective. I had an old paddle wheel Simplicity which had a rather long wheel base and small tires .It rode up badly at the EOD till I bolted on a weight kit.

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Paul7

Reply #25   Jan 10, 2011 1:38 pm
lseap107 wrote:
I am considering replacing my Ariens 926 snowblower with possilby a Honda.  I want a better motor and something that is going to tackle the plowed driveway a little better....

Someone recommended the 26" 8hp Toro 826OXE.   While it's a fine machine, and I like the dual sbowblower approach, I don't see it providing a better motor or better performance for EOD plowed snow over what you currently own.  Same 26 inch bucket as your Ariens and one less hp.  

The 9hp Honda engine would likely be better than the 9hp on your current Ariens but would it be more powerful than a 342cc Briggs?  

The best way to handle plowed snow always seems to lead to trade-offs.  In my opinion plowed snow became more of an issue when manufacturers went away from tires that needed chains.  Back in the 70's if your machine had enough overall weight plus chains on the tires it would plow through anything.  Today's SnowHog type chainless tires are good on snow but will lose traction on icy snow.  So to solve the loss of traction problem, manufacturers didn't go back to chains, they built machines with tracks...which in turn created maneuverability problems.  One would expect the tracked Honda to provide an improvement with deep plowed snow but is that the machine you want to wrestle with to clear a small 3 inch snowfall.

So there's no perfect answer.  Just for giggles though if I were you I'd try fitting the Ariens with appropriate tire chains and see how it does.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by Paul7
Paul7

Reply #26   Jan 10, 2011 3:03 pm
Also, has an aside, the augers on older snow throwers were positioned so that they protruded in front of the bucket sides by six inches or so.  Nothing by speculation on my part but I think that aided in breaking up packed snow better than todays design.  Today the augers are positioned well back inside the buckets.  My guess is that the change was made for safety and liability reasons.  The mega blowers, the one's attached to semi tractor-trailer cabs, still have the augers well in front of the housing. 
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by Paul7
lseap107

Reply #27   Jan 10, 2011 3:05 pm
Thank you all for the informative answers to my question.  I think I am leaning towards the Honda.  I was set on going with the HS928TAS tracked unit but my dealer said he would sell me the HS1132TA tracked unit with electric start for $205 more.  Should I go with the bigger 11hp 32" cut or just stay with the 9hp 28" cut?  My driveway is 38' x 38'.  I have a three car garage with sidwalk.  Any suggestons?
kderobertis

Reply #28   Jan 10, 2011 3:15 pm
I would go with the HS1132TA, but I think the electric start is money thrown out the window, since these machines start on the first pull all the time.

I used my new HS928TA and I love it, again starts on the first pull.

Ken

aa335

Reply #29   Jan 10, 2011 3:18 pm
lseap107 wrote:
Thank you all for the informative answers to my question.  I think I am leaning towards the Honda.  I was set on going with the HS928TAS tracked unit but my dealer said he would sell me the HS1132TA tracked unit with electric start for $205 more.  Should I go with the bigger 11hp 32" cut or just stay with the 9hp 28" cut?  My driveway is 38' x 38'.  I have a three car garage with sidwalk.  Any suggestons?

Sounds like your dealer is trying to move that 1132 since there is only a price differential of $205 from a 928.  I would suggest go with a 928 and try to negotiate in commercial side skids or a light kit if it doesn't already have one.
aa335

Reply #30   Jan 10, 2011 3:26 pm
kderobertis wrote:
I would go with the HS1132TA, but I think the electric start is money thrown out the window, since these machines start on the first pull all the time.

I used my new HS928TA and I love it, again starts on the first pull.

It does start easily without electric start.  The price for electric start has gotten ridiculous.  I'm glad I got mine when it was just $100.

I have a snow cab on mine so I'm having electric start is nice.  Some day, I'm going to rig up a battery so I don't have to get out of the cab to get it started.  :)
This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by aa335
FrankMA

Reply #31   Jan 10, 2011 3:27 pm
If your only going to have one machine, I would go for the HS928TA - big enough to get the job done but small enough to be a bit more manueverable. Not saying anything bad about the 1132 but it is a big machine and your requirements seem better suited to something in the 28" bucket range or slightly less. You'll never use the electric start (nor will you need to) so count that out of your decision making process. I know this goes against all the unwritten OPE laws of equipment buying, but sometimes you can get a machine that's too big. Buyers remorse is a terrible thing....

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
lseap107

Reply #32   Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm
Sounds like the 928 then.  I, agree I don't need the electric start but he has it on both of the 928 units already installed. 
Replies: 23 - 32 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42