Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ill show you mine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

ill show you mine
Original Message   Jan 8, 2011 12:22 am
Just the ones I use. 

Replies: 5 - 14 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Re: ill show you mine
Reply #5   Jan 8, 2011 10:13 am
Orange

Did you add that brace going from the handles to the tractor? If so How did you do it?

njal

Reply #6   Jan 8, 2011 10:36 am
Knee_Biter wrote:
Trouts

Honestly,  The 624 gives the 928 and the Ariens a good run for the money.   First yes there is an indentation on the Honda bucket.  Every model I have or had from 624 724 928 1132 tracked and wheeled has the same sides on the bucket.  Honda optional side skids come with a spacer that fits in the indent and lets the skids sit flush. You need to drill the holes.

The Ariens is a 924508 pro and yes the tires are much bigger and wider than the Honda's.  Purchased the Ariens new in fall/winter 2003 and first winter noticed several downfalls.  Had tons of snow cover me when blowing to the right.  I Looked like Mr. Freeze after 10 min of use.  Searched the net and on the other openet forum I found some info on a chute mod that Ariens came up with to correct the problem so I emailed them and in a couple of days they mailed me the piece.  Bolted it on the chute and fixed it 100%. 

Next I noticed it always wanted to climb up heavy packed snow.  Purchased a weight kit and this helped.  Next was when we got a little rain with the snow and it became slushy the Ariens plugged every time and became a sausage maker. I was extremely frustrated.  Next season I purchased Clarence's impeller kit and it made the Ariens a new machine.  It now throws with the Honda's and I do use it on giant mounds that the town plows make on my corner lot.  I tunnel through with a little muscle and it digs right through.

I purchased the 624 from an older neighbor of mine the following year when he moved to a senior living and no longer needed it.  First time I used it I was blown away.  It out threw my Ariens and was so light and easy to manuever.  Almost toy like yet had no trouble taking on the heaviest of snow with a little bog at the EOD pile but still had no trouble shooting it 50+ feet.  As where my Ariens the engine would go into a vicious roar with the EOD pile and no bog.

Next season I purchased an 1128 tracked machine both work/new and home/used and sold my unit after 2 uses.  I found it to be horrible for my needs.  Extremely short for me and killed my back hunching over, Pain in the butt to manuever compaired to the 624 wheeled unit, And while it did not bog at all with EOD pile it did not seem to throw the snow any better than the 624 so I made some $ and sold it.  I since have had at least 5 724 wheeled 7 928 wheeled and a few more 624 wheeled units. The 928 being a little more powerfull and heavier than the 624/724 Moves the snow about the same as its little brother still with a little bog at EOD pile just not as much and as good as the 1132.

Honestly we live in the same region and get the same amount of snow.  In my opinion the Honda hs724wa is the ideal machine.  Small enough to manuever and store. Powerfull enough to move even the heaviest of snow. Very quiet and great on gas. Also in my own personal opinion the tracked models are hype and in my own personal use work and home they do not get any better traction than the wheeled units. The only thing that they do that the wheeled unit cant do is climb steps to get up on a deck.  Now please NO HATE REPLIES as these are just my opinion.

Any one wondering the difference between the 624 and 724, Same unit with 1 hp more and the 624 has no brace from the auger gear box up to the bucket for support.  This is a week point and if you hit a bolder you can snap the auger shafts. Honda had a service bulletin on this and changed the auger gear box design and added a boss with a bracket on all machines since. I have never had a problem but I always try to make sure I have a clean area before snow flys.

So as you can see I like my Honda wheeled units but dont get me wrong. My Ariens unit is now a contender since I modded it and fixed the bugs.

I guess you can copy and paste this post into the LONG WINDED thread

Nah! that wasent long winded,that was a great informative post from someone with hands on use!

Your machines look great!

iLikeOrange

Reply #7   Jan 8, 2011 10:44 am
 I Good eyes knee. I added that shortly after i bought it.  On the rear of the bucket there is a gusset for support/strength. I (ouch) drilled the gusset  and bolted some 1"x1" steel square hollow stock. That runs to the handlebars where it bolts to. Only thing I had to do there was buy some longer bolts as it uses the existing holes. Lines up great on this machine.Just barely clears the wheels. The angle of support is less than 45deg. so the support isn't as good as 45deg+ but it is better than nothing. Would be nice to have channel bars like the top Simplicitys' but as we all know there is no perfect machine.

On your post above: I gotta say this unit is great with slush and all else for that matter. It is the 9 hp and I justdon't think it needs any more power. Did I just say that? There has been discussion as to whether it is the same power as the motor labled 11.5hp.  The quick turn chute is as pos as you can not easily precisly direct the chute while blowing. As soon as you you unlock it the thing has a mind of it's own. To make small adjustments you need to tap it slightly (while blowing) . I like the old style ice auger 'cause it is simpler and easy to direct  KISS. Thinking of doing an electric mod here. I also would like to be able to have say 270deg of chute rotation so I'll look int that as well.

O

This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by iLikeOrange

trouts2

Reply #8   Jan 8, 2011 2:31 pm

Orange,

Nice brace addition.  Many models have an uncomfortable flex.  A few I’ve bought from big guys had the cracked bars low by the bolt to the tractor case.  Others had ovals worn in the tractor so the handles drooped.   Cracks on Ariens, holes on Toros.

Knee_Biter,

Knee_Biter,

>>optional side skids come with a spacer

Glad you mentioned that.  I was thinking of adding the Ariens style double skids but I’ll check out the Honda skids with spacers at the dealer.

I’ve read complaints a few times about blowback from the chute and don’t get it.  I’ve never had a problem with that machine style.  I can’t see anything bolted onto the chute in the pictures.  Is it there and I’m missing it?

>>The 624 gives the 928 and the Ariens a good run for the money.

Interesting.  I would think the 9 a giant leap and close competition for the Ariens 11.5.  I only gave mine one quick shot on the first storm.  It was unimpressive so I parked it.  It was no match for the Yamaha 624 or much else.  I’ll have to check out the engine and pulleys to see if something is wrong.  All I’ve ever read about the Honda 624 is great reports.  I might have been too quick to dismiss it during the last storm. 

What you say about your 624 is the way I feel about my HS70 old wheeled machine.  I can’t say from memory that it’s an exact match for a Yamaha 624 but it’s got to be very close.  An HS724 would be a contender for the YS624.  I think they are both rated at 6.5.  The HS70 would take care of all clearing here easily.

>>Purchased the Ariens new in fall/winter 2003 and first winter noticed several downfalls.   

That’s got the nice gearbox with roller bearings.  They went to flanges in 2005.

>>Next I noticed it always wanted to climb up heavy packed snow.  Purchased a weight kit

The big guys seem like they would tackle anything but lift just a bit later. 

>>Next season I purchased Clarence's impeller kit and it made the Ariens a new machine.  It now throws with the Honda's and I do use it on giant mounds that the town plows make on my corner lot.

Good feedback from a non-nutcake.  I’ve got to get off my duff and install a kit.

>> 1132 did not seem to throw the snow any better than the 624 so I made some $ and sold it. 

That’s strange, possibly a problem with it.  Mine is very impressive on distance.

>I since have had at least 5 724 wheeled 7 928 wheeled and a few more 624 wheeled units.

Those all Honda?

>>Honestly we live in the same region and get the same amount of snow.  In my opinion the Honda hs724wa is the ideal machine.  Small enough to manuever and store. Powerfull enough to move even the heaviest of snow. Very quiet and great on gas. Also in my own personal opinion the tracked models are hype and in my own personal use work and home they do not get any better traction than the wheeled units.

Pretty much in agreement.    In the tests I did the Honda 1132 slipped traction just about as much as the Areins 1028 with good tires and no chains.  It was at a disadvantage to the 28” with a wider bucket but at 28 I don’t think the track grip would have improved all that much.  By next week I’ll have a HS828 track and test again against the Ariens 1028.  No need for a track here and a HS724 would take care of the area fine.

>>changed the auger gear box design and added a boss with a bracket on all machines since.

Anyone know how to add a bracket on a gearbox without a boss?

Very interesting post, nice fleet.

This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by trouts2
MN_Runner

Reply #9   Jan 8, 2011 5:46 pm
Pictures from my backyard/pond.

P1010026  P1010025

For video (don't laugh too hard!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58015249@N02/5336719527/

Steve_Cebu

Reply #10   Jan 8, 2011 6:05 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Pictures from my backyard/pond.

P1010026  P1010025

For video (don't laugh too hard!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58015249@N02/5336719527/

The video is ok but too much camera movement back and forth at the end. My wife does that sometimes too. Thanks for posting it.

Looks like you are riding up on that snowbank in the video, you might be going too fast, since you should be able to drive right into that and spit it out. Is there something under the snow there?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #11   Jan 8, 2011 6:10 pm
Agreed, slow down the ground speed.  The sharp serrated auger should take care of that mound easily.
MN_Runner

Reply #12   Jan 8, 2011 6:10 pm
There is a 5" ice layer so I could only go over it.  My video skills are pretty poor but hopefully it will get better. 
This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by MN_Runner
jrtrebor

Reply #13   Jan 8, 2011 6:32 pm
knee_Biter
Great post, love looking at photos.  I be curious as to what Areins sent you to correct the problem you described.  I've been toying with a couple of mods to the chute on my repowered
Ariens 1032.  One is to taper the deflector. To narrow it down from the back to the front.  Just a bit to put a little compression on the snow stream as it's leaving the chute.
 I've also have an issue with. I'll call it stray snow, when the chute is turned hard right.

jrtrebor

Reply #14   Jan 8, 2011 6:35 pm
iLikeOrange
 Love the idea of the handle braces.  I hate the slight deflection that is felt when pushing down on handles (Ariens 1032).  I was at first going to weld in a gusset at the bend, but after looking at things a little longer.  Decided that would stiffen things up, but on the downside would then put all the stress on the tube right behind the rear mounting bolt (my handles mount on the top of the tractor housing).  Not a good solution. 

But the braces are perfect .  I may just use a piece of 3/16 x 1" flat stock instead of the square tube.  That way I could just tap a hole in the
tractor housing. (Just re-did my blower housing and hate to grind a spot to weld on some ears.)  The angle probably won't be optimal but it would surely be better than the way it is.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42