Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Engine . . . Change the Oil ? How Soon ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

New Engine . . . Change the Oil ? How Soon ?
Original Message   Jan 6, 2011 9:43 am
For every new engine I ever purchase, whether in a new car or a lawnmower I change the oil after just a few hours of use.  I learned to do this because a new  engine wears in and creates small metal particles that cause excess wear if they are not removed from the engine, and even in new cars with oil filters the filter is limited in how small the particles it can trap.  In the case of my New Honda GX 270 engine that powers my Honda Snowblower, I ran the machine for about 2 hours, then drained and refilled the engine with 100% synthetic oil.  When the oil was visible in the drain pan it was grey in color from the large quantity of metal wear particles suspended in the oil.   I will probably wait another 4 to 6 hours of operation before doing another oil change.   Considering that the expensive new engine only requires a little more than 1 quart of oil, and it has no oil filter, it seems a prudent investment to add these very early oil changes to the maintenance regimen of a new engine.   Incidentally, Honda suggests the first change after 20 hours.  Based on the evidence of the metal in the oil, I would suggest that is far too long to wait for that initial oil change.  

I'm curious how others feel about this.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
gotoguy

Re: New Engine . . . Change the Oil ? How Soon ?
Reply #4   Jan 6, 2011 1:43 pm
aa335 wrote:
Many high performance car engines comes with synthetic oil from the factory, especially turbo engines. 

including Corvettes.

I've been racing for over 20 years and my engines have synthetic oil in the oil plan from the very 1st lap but are broken in on the dyno and/or in the shop with conventional oil.

That said, I don't see a benefit to using synthetic oil in my snow blower than probably won't see more than 20 hours of run time per season.

borat

Reply #5   Jan 6, 2011 2:02 pm
"That said, I don't see a benefit to using synthetic oil in my snow blower than probably won't see more than 20 hours of run time per season."

Making waaaay too much sense. 

I use synthetic oil in nothing.  I even stopped using it in my snow blower.   Why use 500 hr. oil to do 50 hr. oil's job? 
iLikeOrange

Reply #6   Jan 6, 2011 2:43 pm
Easier starting  due to low viscosity Heck it's only a quarts worth anyway

O

This message was modified Jan 6, 2011 by iLikeOrange

borat

Reply #7   Jan 6, 2011 2:54 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
Easier starting due to low viscosity. Heck it's only a quarts worth anyway

O

I used synthetic oil in my snow blower for the first three years.  Consumption was at a rate of about 1 oz. per hour of hard use.  Not sure if it was the engine or the oil.  I changed back to 5W30 conventional oil to see if it's the oil or the engine causing consumption.  Still need more time to get the results of that experiment. 

As far as easy starting, no difference between synthetic and dino of the same viscosity.  None. 

You're right.  We're only talking a quart of oil here and there.  Nonetheless, why pay two or three times the price when you're not utilizing the expensive oil's properties? 
iLikeOrange

Reply #8   Jan 6, 2011 3:02 pm
once an hour seem super high doesn't it?  I run Amzoil in the blower, have since day one, and don't see near that rate but maybe I haven't looked that close either . Gonna keep a closer eye though cause of your read.

O

borat

Reply #9   Jan 6, 2011 5:37 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
once an hour seem super high doesn't it?  I run Amzoil in the blower, have since day one, and don't see near that rate but maybe I haven't looked that close either . Gonna keep a closer eye though cause of your read.

O

I'm only guessing that it's an ounce.  Could be more.  What I know is that after an hour or two of relatively hard work, the oil level on the dipstick would be visibly down by maybe a millimeter or a bit less.  So, the actual quantity of oil consumed is unknown.  What I do know, is that it definitely uses synthetic 5W30 oil.   
MN_Runner

Reply #10   Jan 6, 2011 7:17 pm
Borat,

How come your engine consumes so much oil i.e., 1 oz of motor oil every hour?  Is this normal? This can't be normal and a good reason to change your spark plug every year.  My old MTD did not consume any oil.  Sound a little like my 07 4-cylinder Camry as it consumes about a half quart every 2000 miles or a quart between oil changes.

borat

Reply #11   Jan 6, 2011 7:49 pm
I have no idea why it was using so much oil.  I'm working on figuring that out.  After initial break in with dino oil, I've run nothing but Mobil 1 5W30 in it since new.  The engine has three seasons (approx. 75 to 80 hours) on it.  Synthetic oil changed every year with approx. 25 hours on it, plus topping off with fresh oil as necessary.  Maybe half a quart of topping over the winter.  Spark plug was fouled pretty good to but that was with three seasons of use on it. 

I've since changed the oil to Castrol 5W30 High Mileage conventional.  I've got around five hours on the new oil.  Pulled the plug it looked good and I've yet to see a significant drop in oil level.  However, the machine hasn't seen enough hard use to give me any assurance that the engine will not use this oil too.  Once I've put the machine through an hour or two of hard labour, I'll have a much better idea.  Just have to wait for enough snow to put it through it's paces. 
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #12   Jan 6, 2011 9:05 pm
carlb wrote:
While i agree that changing the oil after two hours of running is a good idea with a new small engine and I would go so far as to change the oil again after about 10 hours of usage, however I would not under any circumstances use a synthetic oil in an engine that is not fully broken in.  Adding synthetic oil to an engine that is not fully broken will lead to more than normal oil consumption, less than optimum proformance and the possibility of the rings never properly seating.  FYI I have been building race engines for over 20 years and have seen first hand what an engine that was not broken in properly before switching to synthetic looks like inside.  Very clean and in a lot of cases glazed cylinder walls and poor ring sealing.

Carl

And yet for the decades the synthetic oil ahs been in use there has never once been any evidence offerred by anyone that that is in any way true.  GM puts synthetic in its high perfornace Corvette engines as do other manufacturers.  Breaking in an engine has never required petroleum based oils over synthetic oils, and no manufacturer of engines has ever suggested that be done.   Ergo, you stand alone in your opinion.
mikiewest

Reply #13   Jan 6, 2011 9:07 pm
who r u to suggest??ur just another yahoo from suffolk county.Guys dont listen to him .follow the manual..............sounds familiar????
Replies: 4 - 13 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42