Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Denny

Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire
Original Message   Dec 12, 2007 8:14 pm
I turned the key on and have no spark from the plug or even the plug wire when turning over the engine

How do I know if it is the coil magneto or the xstar module magneto?

It is a model 38180

Replies: 20 - 29 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
sodamark

Re: Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire
Reply #20   Dec 31, 2010 4:17 pm
As of yesterday, I had similar problems. No spark. Tried a new spark plug and that did not work. The writeups and advise on this post have been invaluable. Thanks everyone. Miller87's pics and summary were very helpful. I followed the same proceedures and actually ordered the stens module from the same supplier. The machine had never run this well since I purchased it ten years ago for 40 dollars. Sadly, after ten minutes of running, it quit as if the key had been turned to off. I pulled the spark plug and there is no spark again. Can these modules blow out that quickly? Could a bad coil cause it to fail? I clipped the wire from the old ignition module and used the wire nut provided to tie it the new wire. I used the negative wiring diagram for the module. Perhaps it's a defective module? Thanks for any thoughts or ideas. Mark
This message was modified Dec 31, 2010 by sodamark
pzeimet

Re: Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire FIXED
Reply #21   Jan 26, 2011 1:49 am
Denny wrote:
FIXED!!!!!!!I had to scrape some paint to get a good ground and reverse the wires on the "universal" ignitor (Mega Fire II) $15.00 vs. $110.00 OEM

Blowin snow, thanks

Jan 25 2011
Denny, The xstar module went south on my 1992 Toro CCR2000 snowblower and after reading about your fix I also installed a Mega Fire II. The machine started right up. I ran it about five minutes,seems good. The next time I blow snow will be a better test. Actually it was this sight that led me to my problem. Thanks to all. 
This message was modified Jan 26, 2011 by pzeimet
pzeimet

Reply #22   Jan 28, 2011 10:59 am
Blew snow yesterday with that little Toro for about a half hour after installing a $20 Stens Mega Fire II module. Ran great ,seems good.
fredmertz

Reply #23   Feb 4, 2011 11:25 am
Where do I order this mega fire II and how do I replace it?  My twenty year old CCR2000 will not restart after using it for a while until it gets cold again........All I have ever done to this machine is change the plug every year and replace the paddles once. Thanks
trouts2

Reply #24   Feb 4, 2011 8:24 pm
   Crapping out after running or a while and having to wait for cool-down to restart is typical with a bad plug.  You just might get away with a plug replacement
This message was modified Feb 4, 2011 by trouts2
fredmertz

Reply #25   Feb 5, 2011 8:52 am
New plug every year..............same result. Runs great as long as I don't try to restart after running it for twenty minutes or so. I have gotten used to doing the entire drive way and walks without stopping. Still would like to know about ordering the replacement module and any tips about installing it. Thanks again.
trouts2

Reply #26   Feb 5, 2011 9:19 am
   Have you tried testing for spark after gettnig hot and no restart?
fredmertz

Reply #27   Feb 6, 2011 11:09 am
trouts2 wrote:
   Have you tried testing for spark after gettnig hot and no restart?

I have a spark plug tester and when the Toro won't start after running for a while I get no spark across the gap also no spark from the wire to the plug. Still would like to know where to order the module and any tips on how to install it.
broncman

Reply #28   Jan 14, 2012 3:06 pm
Hi fellas;

If anyone is still out here with some ideas, I sure could use your input!

I have become the lawnmower/snowblower repair guy for the guys at work.  I am about 99.9% successful with my repairs but this one has stumped me.  A friend gave me his Toro CCR 2000 snowblower for repair because the local shop wanted 600+ for repairs.  It is the 38185 with serial number 2001010.

No spark here.  I checked and cleaned all connections and re assembled with dielectric tune up grease.  Switch is ok.  I checked the ig modulator with a multi meter and got continuity (which I am assuming is a good thing).  Any way, I purchased a mega star II ignition module and put it in place of the original module.  Still no spark.  (spark plug is good though).  I checked the coil by placing my multi meter from the red wire of the coil to the spark plug terminal.  NO continuity.  I located and bought a used coil from a local shop for $55 .  Yippie...I got spark.  I then put it all back together.  (I had also cleaned the carb and replaced several parts there in).  She started on the first pull!  It ran excellent for 30 seconds and then quit.  No more spark.  I took everything apart again and found the module still had continuity but the coil did not (when I checked from the red wire to the spark plug terminal). 

How could that coil go shot so quickly?  I just hate to junk the machine.  I saw on ebay a coil/modulator combo for about $75.  I dont mind spending that but I also do not know if it is worth the risk.  That may go shot real quick.  What are your thoughts guys?  Thanks very much.
MN_Runner

Reply #29   Jan 14, 2012 10:14 pm
Not sure how much to believe your story about $600 repair cost when you can buy a brand new one (Toro 418) for around $350 with 2 year warranty.
Replies: 20 - 29 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42