Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Someone asked about Honda clones and cold weather proofing

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Someone asked about Honda clones and cold weather proofing
Original Message   Dec 15, 2010 10:50 pm
I don't remember under which tread someone was asking about using a Honda clone on a snowblower.  And any issues there might be with it not being set up for cold weather.
I'm getting ready to re-power my Ariens 1032 (924084) with an 11HP Greyhound clone.  I've made some modification to it for cold weather based on some on the shields that come on
Honda snowblower engines.  Though they might be helpful to anyone thinking about doing the same thing.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Re: Someone asked about Honda clones and cold weather proofing
Reply #4   Dec 16, 2010 5:03 pm
Excellent work. I'd love to be able to fab something of that quality. I took an old filing cabinet, cut a huge corner out of it and hung it over the carb and part of the muffler. It's rather "rednecky", and I'll take some photos in the daylight. One more colour added to the old beast..

Contents under pressure....
snowmachine

Reply #5   Dec 16, 2010 5:14 pm
No kidding... awesome work!!!
chefwong

Reply #6   Dec 16, 2010 7:44 pm
Keep up the great work Jrtrebor. What's your trade. Sheetmetal, industrial fab ?

It too me weeks if not possibly months to find a good sheetmetal guy. Alot of guys in the trades that do hvac, but I had a tough time finding one that *got it* when I was redoing the kitchen....someone who understood that that there is a ~engineering~ when it comes exhaust work and it's not just fit a 8" round and as long as it routes back outside...
Shryp

Reply #7   Dec 16, 2010 9:51 pm
Looking good.  Is this the same blower you added the electric controls and the stainless to?

I too would be interested in your progress as I just fitted an 11 HP on my 924026 since the original HM80 decided to throw a rod.
Was my first time blowing an engine and I was a little disappointed it was far from spectacular.  No smoke, noise or boom.  The only
thing it did was sound like something got wrapped around the augers as I heard the tick tick tick from the crank hitting the rod after it
came apart.

The 11 is probably overkill, but I grew up watching Home Improvement :)  I am sure the 6.5 would have worked.  Mine is only a 24" bucket,
but I wouldn't mind maybe finding a 32" in the future and switching it over.  I also wanted a little overhead so I could possibly switch to a
larger pulley and get the impeller up to the 1300-1400 rpm range.  I got mine mounted, but need to get some longer belts as the auger
doesn't quite disengage fully.  The mounting on mine was a bit tight as the bolt holes had to be drilled right at the very edge of the top plate
where they have the 45 degree bank for the handlebar mounts.  I also still need to come up with a new belt cover yet.  I was thinking of using
some roofing flashing or some sheet metal and also had someone suggest some of that fiberglass resin stuff.

I had to spin my recoil starter around to the other side so now my Greyhound decal is sideways, but I can live with that.

Not sure if I want a battery or not.  It seems nice in theory, but might be more trouble than it is worth keeping it charged in the off season.

If I don't use a battery would I be correct in assuming I can just mount powered stuff to the red wire on the started and the black wire that
is suppose to be grounded to the engine mount?  I think it would be nice to have lights and maybe some day rig up some electric controls
like you did.  I too have never been able to find the amperage put out by the built in stator.  I have seen different clones reporting different
numbers and even Hondas come with different amp outputs.

I put a 6.5 on an old Toro 3521 last year and that worked great for last winter with no freezing up issues.
This message was modified Dec 16, 2010 by Shryp
jrtrebor

Reply #8   Dec 17, 2010 12:04 am
Thank you all, for all the nice comments. I really appreciate it.  I enjoy doing this kind of stuff and it's nice to be able to share it
with others who have the same interests.
Shryp - yes it is the same power with the electric controls and stainless.  After I swap engines and get the electric all hooked up I'll post some photos.
I wanted the battery on board so I can run a larger watt light(s).  Nothing that will burn the paint of things. Probably a 30W Halogen.
Also with the battery on board I can remove the current battery that is running the chute and deflector motors.
At some point I'm going to take off the double belt pulley and put on two single pulleys. The drive pulley will remain the
same size. But I'm going to put on a 1/2" larger impeller drive pulley.  I have that pulley already. Just need to get a 2 1/2"
with a 1" bore pulley for the drive.  If my math is correct that should give about a 200 rpm increase at the shaft. And a impeller
tip velocity increase of about 730 ft/s.  That is one of the reasons I wanted to use an 11Hp and line the impeller housing with stainless.
Here are a few photos of the belt cover that I had to modify because the center of the crank (as you know) is higher on the clones.
I used a material called Sintra it's really easy to work with.  It's also formable when you put heat to it.
we'll see if it holds up.  If it doesn't I guess I will use it as a pattern and see if I can make the cover out of thin aluminum.
I was fortunate to have to have a old blower without the blower.  To do most of the measuring and fitting for the engine swap.
That is what the engine is sitting on.  Now I know exactly what I have to do to my 1032 to make the swap.
Another project I'm thinking about (there is always another project) is mounting a 3" blade to the front of my spare drive unit.
You can see in the photos the rear piece of steel that I cut out of the back of the impeller housing from and out wasted blower housing.
That is what I will beef-up and mount the plow blade to.
What I really want and have been looking for, for about a year is one of the Ariens Broom attachments.
That is why I've hung on the the drive unit I have. I have actually found, just the other day in my price range.
But unfortunately it's 330 miles away, pick up only. Oh well, I really don't have the money to spend right now anyway.
Almost forgot,  chefwong I'm a 3rd generation finish carpenter. So, same processes different materials and tools.
Measure, cut, fit, assemble.
Also my mom sent me to summer school when I was about 11 or 12. It was a class in small engine basics and repair
Thanks Mom !!
(She probably just wanted to get me out of the house and know where I was.)

niper99

Reply #9   Dec 17, 2010 12:32 am
VERY NICE JOB!!!! .....
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #10   Dec 17, 2010 1:22 am
Jrtrebor, I assume your garage is heated. Makes it more enjoyable to work.

ws01

Reply #11   Dec 17, 2010 3:01 am
Thank for info.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #12   Dec 17, 2010 8:46 am
jrtrebor wrote:
Thank you all, for all the nice comments. I really appreciate it.  I enjoy doing this kind of stuff and it's nice to be able to share it
with others who have the same interests.
Shryp - yes it is the same power with the electric controls and stainless.  After I swap engines and get the electric all hooked up I'll post some photos.
I wanted the battery on board so I can run a larger watt light(s).  Nothing that will burn the paint of things. Probably a 30W Halogen

Obviously you have the equipment to create the excellent shields and modifications, as well as the talent to use them.  Well Done.

I thought, based on the quote above, I should tell you that the accessory light for a Honda HS 928TAS model snowblower with the GX 270 8.5 HP engine is a 50 Watt Halogen bulb that runs off the engine stator and has no need for a battery, so I suspect the set up you have could drive a light capable of melting the snow instead of simply blowing it away.  Just thought you'd like to know. 

The Honda Snowblowers have a shield over the carb inlet but No Air Filter.  I don't like it but they do it for two reasons, they do not expect dust and dirt in a snow storm or its aftermath, and the blowing snow can melt and saturate a paper filter cartridge (which is what Honda installs on the engine in all other applications)  I have an Amsoil "Pod Filter" that I will install whenever, as in the off season maintenance, I start up the snowblower when dirt is a possibility.  It is essentially a small foam filter with a sping in it to hold its shape, and vibrate any dust of the oil saturated foam (Amsoil sells excellent and very, very sticky, Foam Filter Oil for such air filters.  Had you planned on using the paper filter ?  The small foam one is highly resistant to water intrusion should you want an optional version better suited to blowing snow.

I just purchased the new Honda, and as I do with every machine I go over it to add or subtract what I think it needs.  The skid shoes for example are being upgraded to the very heavy commercial ones Honda sells as an accessory.  The installation requires me to mark and drill the mounting holes very precisely.   I have even ordered Stainless Steel Flange Bolts and Lock Nuts to hold the skid shoes to the auger housing because in a location guaranteed to be exposed to water and salt, Honda ships the skid shoes with plain steel nuts and bolts.  Good Luck removing them after a few years of rust, so i thought I'd make that job easier when the day arrives. I also add 3M 680 Reflective tape, PM 'Spitfires, and a few relectors to all sides of the machine to make it Highly Visible at night in the headlights of any vehicle that might do it harm. .  This way if it ever conks out at the end of the driveway everyone can see it at night.

Thanks for sharing the project, I'd love to see a video of it in action some day.

chefwong

Reply #13   Dec 18, 2010 12:04 pm
New Yorker. Can you post a scan of pic of the instruction manual for the side skid shoes ? I am curious as to what their recommended installation location is.My 724 came with them, and they were installed on the factory welded nuts that is dead center of the sides of the bucket itself. I can't imagine them wanting it anywhere else because you still need the linear height of being able to adjust the shoes higher or lower. Other posts suggest that you are NOT supposed to install the skids at the factory prebored hole/welded nut location.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42