Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1983 Toro Power Shovel Anyone ever use or own one?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

1983 Toro Power Shovel Anyone ever use or own one?
Original Message   Nov 26, 2010 10:57 am
I picked up this old 1983 Toro Power Shovel for dirt cheap.  I found some info on the internet, took it apart to inspect/clean/adjust/lubricate.  Put it all back together and gave it a test run.  These things are incredible!  We've had some serious heavy wet snow here recently.  Not real big dumps.  Maybe 3 to 4 inches at a time.  Certainly deep and wet enough to be difficult to shovel.   I bought this thing for clearing off our fairly large deck.  Couldn't be happier with it's performance.  Why Toro ever stop making these with the gas engine is beyond me.   For it's diminutive size, and little 21cc two stroke engine, this thing can move a lot of snow. 

Replies: 36 - 45 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aviator411

Re: 1983 Toro Power Shovel Anyone ever use or own one?
Reply #36   Dec 14, 2010 10:06 am
Shryp wrote:
https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/server.pt/community/product_center/225

Shryp, MANY thanks for that referral. I had checked the Toro web site and even saw that manual but didn't realize it covered my machine. Very good information there. That should get it going for me. Really appreciate your help!
borat

Reply #37   Dec 14, 2010 10:15 am
aviator411 wrote:
I have one of these 38350 models that I bought new back in the '80s. Haven't used it for a number of years and can't get it started. Never stored it w fuel in the tank so should be able to rule out fuel problems; I put in fresh fuel. Haven't opened it up yet. Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to try starting it once I open up the housing or will I have to put it all back together each time I want to try to start it. Anyone know if there are any free downloadable service manuals on this machine. Still looking for one. With small gas-powered machines the problem is almost always in the carburetor or fuel system; that's where I'll look first, plug also of course but have never seen a bad plug in a small gas engine; it's almost always carburetor/fuel problems. This machine served me well, never had any problems with it. Probably haven't used it for over 5 years. When I moved to the country many years ago I bought a Ford farm tractor with 5' rear mount snow blower so haven't used the Toro much since then. It would come in handy around doors etc. if I can get it running. I am aware of the diagrams on Partstree.com. Would be nice to find a service manual though.

You can start it with the cover off.  You'll just have to manually move the "on/off" switch by sliding the contact to the "on"  position and work the choke manually.  The carb looks like it could be hard to get at.  Pretty tight in there even for an allen wrench.
borat

Reply #38   Dec 14, 2010 10:18 am
trouts2 wrote:
Borat:  What might be an alternate to the shovel is a small Toro PowerLite.  There are 3 and 3.5hp versions, small, rubber auger, have wheels and are fun to use.  They toss 25 feet and can move watery slush or water very well.  Around here they can be had for $20 to $50 almost always with plugged carbs.

Thanks for that Trouts.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one.  Not that I really need it due to having a Powershovel.  However, if it's two cycle, light and compact, I'll scoop it up if I see one.
aviator411

Reply #39   Dec 14, 2010 10:59 am
borat wrote:
You can start it with the cover off.  You'll just have to manually move the "on/off" switch by sliding the contact to the "on"  position and work the choke manually.  The carb looks like it could be hard to get at.  Pretty tight in there even for an allen wrench.

Thanks for that advice Borat. Removing the carb will be a last resort. I'll try to remove the needle and give it a shot of carb cleaner. Very helpful. Appreciate the info!
borat

Reply #40   Dec 14, 2010 11:30 am
Check the condition of the primer bulb and primer fuel line.  It may have deteriorated over the years.  Without a primer, I doubt that you can start the machine.  That's where I'd look first.  Also check the cleanliness of the fuel system between tank and carb.    Remember the position of the choke and "on/off" knobs and line up the controls to match them before putting them back on.

Does your machine have wheels? 
This message was modified Dec 14, 2010 by borat
jrtrebor

Reply #41   Dec 15, 2010 6:51 pm
I had been reading all of the comments about these Power Shovels. Then last weekend I ran across this beauty on Craigslist.
The fella I bought it from said it was his grandfathers and that he only used it a couple of times.
Got it home primed it 3 or 4 times and it fired right up.
Couldn't resist trying it out on a snow bank, worked well. Have no idea what I'm really going to do with it.
But I couldn't pass it up.
Probably sell it at some point. Who knows!

The large grey box behind the Toro is where my Ariens 2 stage lives during the winter.
When I am finished using it I brush off any large amounts of snow and slush.
Drive it in the box, close the door and leave it running in there for three to five minutes.
Open the door quickly shut it off and it self defrosts itself. Works really well.

borat

Reply #42   Dec 15, 2010 7:03 pm
Excellent find. 

As you say, the thing looks mint.  

I found that the Power Shovel really shines in moving three to four inch wet slushy snow from decks.  It's no where near the work that shoveling it would be.   Much of the snow is ejected over the railing and balusters but sticky stuff gets pasted on whatever it hits. 
snowmachine

Reply #43   Dec 15, 2010 7:58 pm
Wow! That is cherry!!! I use an electric Toro Power Shovel now for my deck and that works pretty good but this would be better without the cord.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #44   Dec 19, 2010 2:27 am
Theres one on ebay. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/TORO-GASOLINE-powered-Power-Shovel-Broom-Works-Great-/250741932604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6162423c#ht_2844wt_1072

aa335

Reply #45   Dec 19, 2010 8:20 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
I had been reading all of the comments about these Power Shovels. Then last weekend I ran across this beauty on Craigslist.
The fella I bought it from said it was his grandfathers and that he only used it a couple of times.
Got it home primed it 3 or 4 times and it fired right up.
Couldn't resist trying it out on a snow bank, worked well. Have no idea what I'm really going to do with it.
But I couldn't pass it up

Nice score, you can't get much better than that. 
Replies: 36 - 45 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42