Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Lifan engines? HD deal $249.00, 15 HP, free ship

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Lifan engines? HD deal $249.00, 15 HP, free ship
Original Message   Dec 10, 2010 10:12 am
Came across this deal today & it seems too good to resist, 15 HP for $249 + free shipping! My biggest concern is cold weather usage on my snow blower.
Anyone know if they have a primer bulb and how they perform in general? Please, no rants about Chinese knock offs, I too am worried about the wallmart effect.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
Replies: 9 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Re: Lifan engines? HD deal $249.00, 15 HP, free ship
Reply #9   Dec 10, 2010 6:35 pm
borat wrote:
You have to capture the hot air being blown from across the engine head and route it to the carb.  It's probably a job best done in a warm environment because there will a great deal of trial and error fitting.   On my B&S engine, it looks fairly basic.  If it's simply a matter of keeping snow and ice off of the linkage of the carb, would it be possible to make a shroud out of old tire tube rubber and let it hang over the carb to keep snow from accumulating on the linkage? 

The clone engine now sits on a back-up machine. I actually use a plow on my 4 wheeler as the primary snow mover, and have a restored Bolens as a my primary blower. I like the idea of the inner tube, but in looking at the linkage, any interference would impede their movement. Some of the springs are insanely long and thin. I don't know how I'd drape it over everything without it touching something. I was even contemplating drilling a hole in the back of the muffler to blow hot exhaust toward the carb.

I have a few military surplus ammo cans here, I think that one of those cut out would do the job nicely. I've tried soft tin, but it seems to be lacking in "robustness". The engine vibrations shake the snot out of it, it would flop around until it broke. This is the only problem that I've not beaten with this clone. All in all it's run perfectly and doesn't complain at all.

Contents under pressure....
trouts2

Reply #10   Dec 10, 2010 7:49 pm

JohnnyBoyUpNorth:

COVER, ENGINE CONTROL (Honda Code 1877935).

This cover is used on the Honda HS55TA (T=track, A=America (A country south of you.)) HS55K1 version.

You could buy that and it should fit but you would have to check.  That cover is from a 1986 version of GX140.  You could go to boats.net and look at the newer model drawings to see what is currently used on a winter GX200.  Those should be mountable on the GX200 clone. 

BUT: Lifan does have some changes. 

Borat: This part addresses you also:

The following pictures are looking down on a new HF GX200 store model 66015.  There have been a few model changes of HF 6.5’s with and without model number changes.  For example the gas tank and air filter cover on this one is different than the prior 66015 they sold.  So a change with no part number change.  I was never clear on what changed in the roll from a 66014 to a 15.  I think it was EPA carb or Calf carb related but unsure.

The control picture is pretty much the parts which are under the gas tank and air cleaner and importantly the parts that are exposed.  They used to be fully exposed by now partly covered by the extended heater cover.  The rod in the control picture is at the bottom of parts which show in between the air filter and the gas tank in the no air box view.

The engine control cover is on top of the carb and under the air cleaner cover.  It extends to cover the exposed control components area.  That control picture is from the HF GX200 drawing.   The control mentioned for Honda applies to a HS55K1 snowblower. 

The control cover does not extend fully from the air cleaner to way under the gas tank but does go up to it and gives protection from snow.  On a bad day it would be possible to get snow on the controls under the gas tank but not happen often.   The cover is on the bottom of the air box and above the carb.  There might be some intended pickup of warm air from the cooling fins by the slight protrusion of the cover over the last of the fins but it’s not exactly evident that was intended. 

I’ve never had any trouble with the controls getting frozen but I have only had them around for short periods during the winter before being sold.  I have never had a problem with them but they get blown off after use and covered when not in use.

Johnny: You would not need much to make a cover for that area.  You might be able to make something that was held down by the air cleaner cover and went over to and rested on the lip of the gas tank.  

borat

Reply #11   Dec 10, 2010 8:40 pm
Good pics Trouts.

I'd look at attaching a piece of metal to the top of the exhaust  shield and extend it over toward the air cleaner.  I'd make it long enough to put a 90 degree bend in it to add more protection at the end near the engine head, (opposite the fuel tank).
niper99

Reply #12   Dec 11, 2010 12:42 am
Borat,

l personally leave my engines as they come right out of the box, well l remove the air filter of course:), at first l thought l would half to make heat shield to due to carb "iceing", but it doesnt seem to be an issue at all.  my cousin drilled a hole in the air cleaner and fitted up a tube that goes over to the exhasut, but mine are stock and no problems.

borat

Reply #13   Dec 11, 2010 9:27 am
JohnnyBoyUpNorth wrote:
I don't want to answer on their behalf, but the lack of a heat shroud was the only complaint I've had with a Lifan engine. Works great, but on a bitter night with snow swirling around, it tends to ice up. The thing won't throttle down with all the ice on the linkage. I've tried different things to protect the linkage from freezing up, from tin to coffee cans. Spray Silicone seems to work the best. It still ices up, but the ice doesn't stick nearly as bad. It would be nice if there was a decent Honda schematic to make a shroud that would work.

As per above post, it seems that some people are having trouble with carb linkage freezing.
This message was modified Dec 11, 2010 by borat
Replies: 9 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42