Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need some opinions please

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
estroner

Need some opinions please
Original Message   Nov 29, 2010 2:29 pm
I am looking at replacing a 25 year old snow blower. I live in Iowa and have a driveway that measures roughly 70X30. I do get some nice drifting, last year over the bed of my old truck, and some nice piles at the end of the drive. I am looking at the Toro Power Max 2-Stage 26 in. Snow Blower and the Ariens Deluxe 2-Stage 28 in. Snow Blower. They are the same price so I am not really sure which one to buy. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies: 7 - 16 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
estroner

Re: Need some opinions please
Reply #7   Dec 1, 2010 8:50 am
I thought about that but I think my old blower is too far gone.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #8   Dec 3, 2010 10:33 pm
If you want the Best check out the HONDA  HS 1132TAS or the HS 928TAS Heavy 2 stage Snowblowers they have a Hydrostatic Transmission and no maintenance intenisve 'Friction Wheel' Drive System. You Get what you pay for.
borat

Reply #9   Dec 3, 2010 10:40 pm
"no maintenance intenisve 'Friction Wheel' Drive System."

Surely you jest.
JGtravelor

Reply #10   Jan 15, 2011 10:28 am
I looked up the specs for you. Toro $1,400 has only a  26" wide clearing width and only a 14" tall auger. It has a 250CC engine to drive the 221 lb machine and blow snow at the same time. The auger will chop packed snow but  not ice at the end of the driveway like the Honda 928 series.

The Toro and the Ariens use the same $277 engine. Toro doesn't list if the auger handle interlocks with the drive handle nor does it list a heavy duty gear box so it must use a cheaper one. The Ariens has the heavy duty gearbox and clears to 28" wide but has the small 14" tall auger. Both of these lower cost snow blowers use the old pressure plate system as do the John Deere and Craftsman to drive the wheels. These less expensive blowers have the old hand clutch to shift into the 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds. So your constantly shifting, using  at least 3 of the forward speeds and both reversew speeds. The Honda hydrostatic drive has no clutch, no shifting. It  has a variable speed joystick like lever for forward or reverse. 

These snow blowers advertise 45-50 ft throw but that is light powder snow. If you have a long wide driveway you should spend a couple hundred more and get the Ariens Delux 30" because it jumps the engine size from 250 cc to either the 287 or 305 CC optional engines.

As mentioned above if you want to avoid the shifting, eliminate systems with pressure plates that slip with dirt or melting snow, then upgrade to the Honda series with the Hydrostatic drive. The advanced drive system eliminates the friction disc on pressure plate that needs to be clean and dry. No annual cleaning of the pressure disk and no cable stretch issues etc that cost you plenty of service calls just when you need the snow blower. The better engine and high tech drive system with ice breaking 20" tall auger cost alittle more $ $2,579. You can get good discounts by buying in  the fall, some snow blowers advertised $500 dollars off, pre-season sale.  The 4 cycle Honda engine and thrower gear ratios  throws even the heavy wet snow  50 feet.. Bought it in 2003 no repairs, starts easily to the present Jan 2011.  

For long straight driveways you may want to consider the tractor tread design instead of wheels with chains. This unit has the best traction and has a pedal to select the height. Touch the pedal and raise or lower the handle to the desired height and your done. This is the only system that you can use on stone driveways, The side skids drag and lift the decorator stones into the chute. The snow chute is metal, not plastic!  If you have a stone driveway, like mine or an old lumpy paved driveway then the tractor tread design is perfect.  When you do the sidewalks , depress the  pedal and raise the handle so the blower scrapes the pavement clean. All the other systems have side skid plates that have to be adjusted with a wrench!  I tried to  be objective and have owned three other brands but will never change from my Honda. 

This message was modified Jan 15, 2011 by JGtravelor
MN_Runner

Reply #11   Jan 15, 2011 11:01 am
JGtravelor

Do you have any pictures of your 2003 Honda HS928 snowblower you can share with us?

rubinew

Reply #12   Jan 15, 2011 11:25 am
New_Yorker wrote:
If you want the Best check out the HONDA  HS 1132TAS or the HS 928TAS Heavy 2 stage Snowblowers they have a Hydrostatic Transmission and no maintenance intenisve 'Friction Wheel' Drive System. You Get what you pay for.

While I agree with your assessment of the Honda, great units, just bought a Yamaha, very similar specs, I don't understand your comment about 'maintenance intensive Friction Wheels'. My MTD is 14 years old, and in that 14 years, the maintenance amounted to a cleaning and Lubrication, during shutdown, at the end of the year! It still has the original parts in it, and I used to have 15x50 driveway, and clear about 100 feet of the Crescent for parking. Not sure what you were using, but I don't think your experience is typical?
This message was modified Jan 15, 2011 by rubinew
MN_Runner

Reply #13   Jan 15, 2011 11:57 am
JGtravelor,

You sound so much like NJDavid and New_Yorker.  BTW: Your Ariens snowblower video was pretty good.  Looks like the friction disk on the Ariens was working just fine. 

Steve_Cebu

Reply #14   Jan 15, 2011 3:18 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
JGtravelor,

You sound so much like NJDavid and New_Yorker.  BTW: Your Ariens snowblower video was pretty good.  Looks like the friction disk on the Ariens was working just fine. 

I think that video was done by a different anal-retentive guy, not DavidNJ who complained about his MTD and then went out and bought another one. If I had that many complaints about a product I wouldn't go and buy another one.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
borat

Reply #15   Jan 15, 2011 4:38 pm
rubinew wrote:
While I agree with your assessment of the Honda, great units, just bought a Yamaha, very similar specs, I don't understand your comment about 'maintenance intensive Friction Wheels'. My MTD is 14 years old, and in that 14 years, the maintenance amounted to a cleaning and Lubrication, during shutdown, at the end of the year! It still has the original parts in it, and I used to have 15x50 driveway, and clear about 100 feet of the Crescent for parking. Not sure what you were using, but I don't think your experience is typical?

I'd say that 95% of friction wheel powered snow throwers work flawlessly for the life of the machine.  

Anyone making statements that friction wheel systems are unreliable and/or maintenance intensive are exhibiting their ignorance.  They know not of what they speak.

And, by the way, I'd bet that Yamaha will soundly spank any equivalent Honda in every imaginable operational aspect.   There's a new king in the snow blower world and it's painted blue.  
This message was modified Jan 15, 2011 by borat
MN_Runner

Reply #16   Jan 15, 2011 5:05 pm
Why are you pitting Yamaha against Honda?  The RED is trying to get along with the BLUE and learn to coexist without name calling and incorrectly referring certain terminology that is totally irrelevent.
Replies: 7 - 16 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42