Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Engine Horse Power Rating Discovery

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Tecumseh Engine Horse Power Rating Discovery
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 3:47 pm
Recently I installed a tach/hour meter on my Toro 828 LXE and found theat the maximum operating governed engine speed was 3,300 RPM spiking to 3,330 RPM's.  I actually felt it was running a bit slowly but decided to use it, as is,  immediately after it stopped snowing on Sunday.  Well, we had about a foot of snow on the driveway with some 18" drifts, and the EOD was about 21", thanks to the snow plows.  The machine handled it perfectly until I got to the  EOD.  While blowing through it, the Tecumseh engine wanted to stall.  Nobody can tell me this is normal on a high end snowblower like this.  It was 15 degrees and it was freshly plowed loose snow.  If it had been wet, I would have been able to look past it.

With all the research I've done in the last 24 hours, I am nearly convinced that the governed RPM set by the manufacurer may have much to do with the horse power rating they give them.  The Tecumseh 9hp-11hp Snowking engines all vary greatly in governed RPM, as low as 3,350 up to 3,700 on the 11hp OHV version.  When I see that the Tecumseh 9hp is 318cc's and the 11hp is also 318cc's, where are they getting these horse power ratings from. Making an engine OHV gives you that much more power?

Well, I wasn't able to find the governed operating RPM for my Tec 8hp L-head engine, and given the wide margin of RPM's on their engines, I decided to raise the operating speed of mine to what I felt it should be.  Initially I raised it to 3,600 as it was suggested to me to do, but I felt this was too fast by the way it sounded.  So I then reduced it to 3,400 spiking to 3,430.  Roughly 80-100 RPM's higher than what it was. 

The result of this, I took it out into the street to the 28" high, five foot across snow drifts left on the side of the street from the snowplows.  These drifts are 8" higher than my auger housing.  The sun was out and the snow was nice and moist, perfect for making snowballs.  I raised the throttle to operating RPM, put it in 1st gear and off I sent it into the drift.  The chute started to toss the snow some 40 feet across the road and you could now hear the engine under a load.  The difference this time is that the engine was maintained speed and not a hint of it wanting to stall.  In fact, the tires actually broke loose and I started pushing it into the drift to the point it began tunneling.  The entire time the engine didn't faulter for a second and I actually felt I had a 10 hp engine on this great machine.

What a difference a very small increase in governed engine RPM makes.  At one point on Sunday I was upset with myself for not shelling out the extra money for Toro's top of the line 11 hp OHV version for over $1,600.00.  Well, after how this experiment worked out, now I feel I just saved myself over $400.00 because this snowblower can go through anything now.

Richie
Replies: 1 - 75 of 75View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Tecumseh Engine Horse Power Rating Discovery
Reply #1   Jan 24, 2005 4:19 pm
I've had a brief look around and haven't been able to find an engine torque curve chart for your engine. Its out there somewhere we just have to find it. I also haven't been able to find the recommended maximum governed RPM  for you engine. A serial number would be handy.

It sounds like the gonverned speed was set a bit low and you just set it to the "correct" range. It would be a good idea to verify things since over revviing an engine can tend to degrade its longevity.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #2   Jan 24, 2005 4:28 pm
That's great you have the ability to do these kind of things.  Are you voiding the warranty in any way? 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

jogo

Reply #3   Jan 24, 2005 4:31 pm
Interesting observation. I have seen some tech 318cc also rated at 10hp. Could it be that simple?

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #4   Jan 24, 2005 4:41 pm
Hi Nibbler,

Thanks for the concerns, I appreciate it.  I really hope that members of this forum won't start playing with their governors as I have.  It was not my intention to rally everyone to touch factory set components, not to mention warranty issues.  However, I used to belong to the Long Island Karting association, racing sophisticated go-karts.  My original class was the Briggs & Stratton class.  You had to start with a 5hp aluminum block, remove the governors, which makes them rev out to 6,800 RPM's, blueprint and re-jet the carb to handle methanol and such.  If you didn't rebuild these now very over-stressed engines, they would usually explode within weeks of removing the governors. 

However, since the day I purchased my Toro 828, I felt the engine was running slightly slow, and I mean slightly, at least to my ear.  The tach/hour meter confirmed what my ears were telling me.  I've looked everywhere for the engine specs, but can't find them.  I even checked the Tecumseh Service Information book, nothing.  Honestly, if this engine could really sustain any damage running about 80 RPM's over what the factory set it at, I think we all would be purchasing engines every year because they would be considered so fragile.  I would love to know if I was correct or not, or if the 3,300 RPM's that it was set  at is correct.

I also made a mistake on the RPM range of all those engines in my first post.  The governed operating RPM range is from 3,250 - 3,700 RPM's.  A 10hp L-head runs at something like 3,600 RPM's.  Sounds like a lot of RPM's for a snowblower.  These questions have been asked so many times on this board, the old board too, I'm really looking into this HP issue because it's bugging me.  I'm trying to find out if it's a different cylinder head, muffler, or simply carb jetting that gives them the majority of their HP rating.  Thanks again, Nibbler for any help with this.

Richie
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #5   Jan 24, 2005 4:44 pm
Hi AJace,

Yes, it would be considered voiding the warranty, but I only turned the governor one complete turn.  I know exactly where to put it back if an issue comes up.  Truthfully, 80-100 RPM's was so little, you almost couldn't hear a difference in the engine.  It's such a slight amount, even with a sharp ear, I had to check the RPM meter to know exactly how much it actually went up. 

Richie
Emmo

Reply #6   Jan 24, 2005 4:46 pm
Richie,

Does this help you?

Three different rpms for three different versions of the same engine.

AJace

Reply #7   Jan 24, 2005 4:50 pm
It's good to hear that a simple fix solved the problem for you.  I don't plan on touching my engine settings anytime soon, if ever.

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #8   Jan 24, 2005 5:03 pm
Hey Emmo,

Toro has several model numbers for my engine.  The LH31SA or HMSK80.  Going by the models you shown on that link you posted, it appears I adjusted my governor inbetween the lowest and the highest RPM of those 3 motors.  Not bad, thank you. 

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Jan 24, 2005 5:10 pm
By Emmo's link, it appears it depends on the model you have.

I'm not an expert on these engines but I do believe it possible to get an extra horsepower from OHV's and jetting.

Glad to hear you got it working better. 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #10   Jan 24, 2005 5:32 pm
Hi there Marshall,

I do believe OHV engines are more efficient, therefore afford you a better more powerful engine, especially in the area of low end torque.  But how much extra do they afford an engine?  From what I've seen, there appears to be a lot of playing with RPM from model to model.  What are the manufacturers doing to these engines to increase their advertised horse power?  If they are generally leaving the cubic centermeters the same, typically 318cc's, is simply increasing the operating RPM where a good portion of this horse power comes from?  I know on 2-stroke engines I used to race, changing exhaust mufflers has a drastic impact on engine performance, from a snail to a jack-rabbit just by switching a "can" type muffler to a high performance tuned exhaust. 

JoGo, right now that seems to be the $64,000 question.  I'd like to think it is that simple, but I'm not done investigating this to make a stand.  I'm trying to get my hands on the exploded view manuals for some of these engines.  I want to look at the carbs for starters, I'm curious if the jetting is the same, and I want to see if the heads are the same part numbers.   

Richie
Marshall

Reply #11   Jan 24, 2005 6:03 pm
Richie wrote:
Hi there Marshall,

I do believe OHV engines are more efficient, therefore afford you a better more powerful engine, especially in the area of low end torque.  But how much extra do they afford an engine?  From what I've seen, there appears to be a lot of playing with RPM from model to model.  What are the manufacturers doing to these engines to increase their advertised horse power?  If they are generally leaving the cubic centermeters the same, typically 318cc's, is simply increasing the operating RPM where a good portion of this horse power comes from?  I know on 2-stroke engines I used to race, changing exhaust mufflers has a drastic impact on engine performance, from a snail to a jack-rabbit just by switching a "can" type muffler to a high performance tuned exhaust. 

JoGo, right now that seems to be the $64,000 question.  I'd like to think it is that simple, but I'm not done investigating this to make a stand.  I'm trying to get my hands on the exploded view manuals for some of these engines.  I want to look at the carbs for starters, I'm curious if the jetting is the same, and I want to see if the heads are the same part numbers.   

Hi Richie,

In Emmo's link it show's three different 9HP models of the same engine, running at three different RPM's. Although RPM's can effect how much HP an engine puts out, if it has the extra HP available, I don't think RPM's are what make or account for the extra horsepower on an engine rated at higher HP. So, I believe they are gaining extra HP through other means, be it OHV's, jetting, heads, breathing, pistons, exhuast, etc.

Just my .02 cents.       
Emmo

Reply #12   Jan 24, 2005 6:20 pm
Certainly part of the difference is pure displacement. 

The 11hp L-head has a 3.312X2.532 Bore & stroke  (358 cc)

The 11hp OHV has a  3.125X2.532 B & S  (318 cc)

YET both of the 9 hp motors have the same 318 cc displacement.

I'm sure it's a combo of displacement, heads, rpms and probably carbs.

Maybe lint or Marty or whoever has seen the guts of a bunch of these could enlighten us.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #13   Jan 24, 2005 6:26 pm
Hi again Marshall,

I'm sure you are correct but Tecumseh engines models are confusing me.  For example, Nibbler asked for a part number or serial number.  I just came from the garage and found the model number stamped on my engine.  It is, LH318SA.  There is also a
"Spec" number, 156563G.  Here's the confusing part, the link Emmo was kind enough to dig out for me shows ALL 9hp models, yet Toro says this is a 8hp engine.  So I have a DE-rated 9hp??  Is Toro calling a 9hp an 8hp for EPA reasons???  Also, speaking about Emmo's link, you'll also notice that the two engines with charging systems have a much higher governed operating RPM than one without lighting or an alternator.  If I go by those, now that I confirmed my engine model number, I set my governed engine speed lower than what it should be.  In fact, that link may actually prove it certainly was way too low.  What do you think? Thank you all for the assistance you are giving me.

Richie
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #14   Jan 24, 2005 6:28 pm
Time for someone to get inside information from the manufacturer...

An inside informant !  

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #15   Jan 24, 2005 6:44 pm
How about it T-Man? Inquiring minds want to know!

Marc

Just reviewed Emmos' chart and found three different crankshaft service #'s. I assume this could account for differences in HP for engines of the same displacement. . This could mean the weight of the rotating mass in the engines are different and could also effect HP.

Marc

This message was modified Jan 24, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
robmints

Reply #16   Jan 24, 2005 7:31 pm
Richie wrote:
Hi Nibbler,

Thanks for the concerns, I appreciate it.  I really hope that members of this forum won't start playing with their governors as I have.  It was not my intention to rally everyone to touch factory set components, not to mention warranty issues. 

Yes Ritchie, You are right. No messing with stuff we shouldn't.

But where exactly is that screw? I don't need to adjust it much. Just until it throws further than Ross's machine. You know the guy across the street with the Porcshe.

Do you think a Tec L head can hold 15 pounds of boost?

Or how about just a little taste of nitrous when it's nice and sunny on the weekend and everyone is outside brushing off the cars?
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #17   Jan 24, 2005 8:09 pm
Hey Rob,

Now you're talking I have no problem helping you break a rich guys chops  Remember, I felt my Toro was running slower than it should and I also have the tach/hour meter installed as a guide.  But, if you must experiment; just inside where the red throttle lever is, about a 1/4"-1/2" inside that slot the lever rides in, you'll see a very little silver allen head screw.  I turned it about one turn clockwise or less.  One important thing, you have to have a very good flashlight pointed in there when doing this.  Even with the light, its actually hard to tell it is even turning.  Keep your eyes sharp while doing it.  I'd hate to have you come back on the board and tell us you made the adjustment and the engine turned at 4,000 RPM's   I also did this while it was running at max RPM so I could hear what was going on in addition to cheching the RPM meter.

Richie
Marshall

Reply #18   Jan 24, 2005 10:48 pm
"Here's the confusing part, the link Emmo was kind enough to dig out for me shows ALL 9hp models, yet Toro says this is a 8hp engine.  So I have a DE-rated 9hp??  Is Toro calling a 9hp an 8hp for EPA reasons??? "

Richie,

I know what you're saying and geeze, it's a nightmere to try have the answers! Want to see a big offender? Look at Sears Lawnmowers that run a 7HP Briggs, explain that one one to me. Rob hit on the reason for it, it's marketing and being the most powerful kid on the block. 

But you know, as long as the snow blows far enough and the grass gets cut nicely without tremendous bog downs when doing either, what the heck do I care what they label it as long as I didn't over pay for something I didn't get?
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #19   Jan 24, 2005 11:56 pm
Marshall,

I just realized that exact thing just before going to bed, exactly what you posted.  What made me realize this was because we were trying to find engine specifications for a Tecumseh 8hp l-head engine, but couldn't.   Why can't any of us find it, because it doesn't exist.  A Toro 828 LXE is actually a 9hp L-head, the model engine number proved it.  So anyone that has purchase this snowblower, you can feel a bit happier you have a larger engine that you didn't even know you received, but due to an industry wide marketing ploy, you paid for it somewhere along the line.  As you pointed out, Marshall, this is obviously an industry wide thing and certainly some type of marketing ploy is at the bottom of it.  I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but it seems that because I felt my engine was running a bit slower at operating RPM, this ordeal seems to have uncovered one of this industries dirty little secrets, I think.  I also fully agree with you, as long as the machine does what is expected, I have no problem with it.  Lets see what tomorrow brings.  Thanks again, Marshall.   

Richie
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #20   Jan 25, 2005 11:01 am
Hi folks,

This is straight from the Tecumseh engine company.  I only spoke to them about L-head engines, since that is what concerns me with my Toro 828 LXE.  After getting transferred 6 times, I finally spoke with a very knowledgeable tech.  Horsepower is made strictly by carburetion.  The jetting of the engine does it all.  According to him, if you have an 8 hp engine and want it to make it into a 10hp, find out what jetting they use in the 10hp and make the switch.  He insisted it's all in the jetting, jetting is everything.  He did continue and say a dealer may not want to do it for you because you're messing with emissions.  Also, Toro derated this HMSK90 saying it's an 8hp. 

As for my initial suspicions about my governed no-load engine speed of 3,300 as I received my snowblower, he says it was set about the middle of the road on mine.  Generally, at the factory, they can be set as low as 3,150 RPM's or as high as 3,450 RPMs.  At the higher setting of 3,450, which is well within spec, you would see a marked performance increase.  This is why some machines of the same make and model can perform differently.  Using my tuning ear, I set mine to 3,400 RPM's, so at least my ear is still pretty good.  But finally I have the information I was looking for.

Richie
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #21   Jan 25, 2005 11:05 am
Excellent Richie... !

Glad you got some definitive answers...

...and thanks for shring 'em here...

Dave...

Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

jubol

Reply #22   Jan 25, 2005 11:28 am
  Richie,

Do you have have to change the Jet or do you change the carb assmbly??

If, the jet, I assume it has to be the high speed one. Am I correct ?

Fred  

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #23   Jan 25, 2005 11:37 am
Wow, so with a jet swap I could have an ariens 1024 instead of an 824 :)  That's amazing.  Remember back in the day when cylinder bore actually affected HP?  Now it almost seems like (for the HMSK line anyway) that "one bore fits all"(ok, most)  It's a great discovery, Richie, but nothing I think i 'll take advantage of, or maybe i will.  I get an occaisional back fire on throttle down, so when i'm "in there" tweaking it out, i just might swap, if i can get the parts.  we'll see

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #24   Jan 25, 2005 11:55 am
Hi Fred,

As the tech explained to me, jetting does it all.  He didn't say the carb assembly has to be replaced, strictly jetting.  In fact, I did specifically ask about the 10hp engines having the same 318cc's and what makes it a 10hp as opposed to an 8 or 9.  Is it a different crank or muffler and such that Tecumseh uses; he was very insistant about it being jetting.  As for exactly what type of jet or the jet size, one must look in a service manual or find the exploded views of a specific engine.  That will tell you the jetting you need.  Re-jetting actually is pretty easy.  I used to do it on my twin cylinder, twin carb Skidoo 500cc snowmobile.  Jetting was crucial on those recreational machines because you really wanted to match the carb jetting to the altitude were going to be playing in.  Hope this helps a bit.  Maybe someone can locate the service manuals for us so we can order some jetting, assuming some want to play

Terrapin, try not to chop the throttle down so quickly.  Easing the engine down from operating RPM will stop it from backfiring.  If you do make a jetting change, please let use know.  Thanks.

Richie
JohnEDavies

Reply #25   Jan 25, 2005 12:27 pm
I find this entire thread very interesting. I have been wondering about the differences between the 9 and 11 bhp OHV Snow King engines, since they too appear to be identical. Does anyone know if the stuff discussed previously (particularly jetting) about the L-head engines applies to the OHV?

I wouldn't mind a little bit more more ooomph from my 926DLE.

John

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by JohnEDavies
Marshall

Reply #26   Jan 25, 2005 12:50 pm
Good info Richie, I figured it was probably jetting.

Ust to re-jet the Mikuni carbs on by bikes and my Merc outboards to gain HP, worked best with air intake and exhuast flow increased to match.

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #27   Jan 25, 2005 1:06 pm
Richie wrote:

Terrapin, try not to chop the throttle down so quickly.  Easing the engine down from operating RPM will stop it from backfiring.  If you do make a jetting change, please let use know.  Thanks.

Yeah, that's what i've been doing but every now and again, i forget and the neighbors know it   I still think there are some mixture issues that linger, as if i let it idle for a while(more than 60 seconds or so) if i raise the throttle it falters, sputters, and if i raise too quick, it stalls.  If it just popped every now and again on throttle down i wouldn't be too concerned.  But with the sputter on throttle up, i def think it's a wee bit on the rich side, as the exhaust puff that result looks just like when its choked for too long.  I do think mines a bit on the fat side, but i'm also inclined to leave it cause when i load it down hard it's just got all kinds of oomph.  I first want to have a chunk of time to play with it where its cold, but not so cold my fingers go numb. we'll see.  Anybody know a place i can get my SB dyno'ed if i rejet ??? :)

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
AJace

Reply #28   Jan 25, 2005 4:37 pm
This is very interesting.  Thank you Richie for posting this information, and taking the time to research this. 

jubol

Reply #29   Jan 25, 2005 4:49 pm
  Richie,

Based on your info, Toro is charging $100. 00 more for the 1028LXE over the 828LXE, just for a JET difference!!

Sounds like Toro is ripping off the public!!

Greater HP out of the same displacement, means shorter engine life!

Fred      

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #30   Jan 25, 2005 5:05 pm
Hi Fred,

I'm not thrilled either about this, but I believe it is just as Marshall pointed out yesterday.  This is an industry wide thing that goes on and I have no doubt Briggs & Stratton ranks their engines in the same manner.  As for Toro, they don't make the engines, they purchase them from Tecumseh.  In fact, any snowblower manufacturer that uses Tecumseh engines are doing this, Ariens and the others as well.  As I said before, maybe this is one of those dirty little industry secrets we've discovered.  I'll get my hands on the real service manual and look at the parts myself before I make a final judgment.  Of course, paying very close attention to carburetion components between engines

Richie
jubol

Reply #31   Jan 25, 2005 5:16 pm
  Richie,

I know Tec makes the engine. But is Toro paying $100.00 more for the engine?

No way!  Maybe $5.00 more. Still a RIP OFF by Toro and the Rest!!

Fred   

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #32   Jan 25, 2005 5:16 pm
well now heres a real can of worms....

the tecumseh ohv engines arent really that new.

they just have new style carbs on them.built this way to pass emmissions regulations.

as far as the engine producing more power with a larger jet thats simple enough.the jet they are refering to is what is actually called the main nozzle .its a pink colored tube held in place with 2 o rings right up the middle of the carb.cost is very resonable ,couple bucks at most.

the tricky part is going to be getting one.

you will have to wander around a bit and copy the model and serial numbers of a new machine.then see your friendly parts guy and tell him that you left gas in your machine ant it turned the carb gummy.

of course the only piece thet really gets rotten is the main nozzle.

they may just sell you one that way

if you promise to behave i will get part numbers for the nozzle and even check  some other stuff in the carb and engine

the bowl nut on these newer engines can also affect performance if gummy but i think they are the same on the 9 10 and 11,but ill check part #

later snowshoveler

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #33   Jan 25, 2005 5:30 pm
Hey Snow!!

Where the heck have you been? Glad you haven't missed all the fun and it looks like you stopped by just in time.  That sounds great about the part numbers.  It would save me a lot of work getting manuals.  I'm curious, what if the consumer simply wanted a carb rebuild kit and you had the model number of the snowblower? Don't you get all new jets or the main nozzle with it, or do they expect you to just clean and reinstall them and simply supply all the gaskets?  BTW...I'll be real good At least I'll try.

Richie
Emmo

Reply #34   Jan 25, 2005 6:25 pm
jubol wrote:
  Richie,

I know Tec makes the engine. But is Toro paying $100.00 more for the engine?

No way!  Maybe $5.00 more. Still a RIP OFF by Toro and the Rest!!

Fred   

Pretty close Fred,  at Tulsa Engine Warehouse, the difference between the Tec 9hp and 11hp L-heads is about $6!

Tulsa Engine Warehouse
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #35   Jan 25, 2005 6:30 pm
Yep...

Sounds like the corporation marketing and money makin' machine at work...

Same engine... different inexpensive/same-priced carburator jets... a lot of profit for a different HP sticker...

Buyer beware !  

Dave...

Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

snowshoveler

Reply #36   Jan 25, 2005 8:14 pm
you may get the bowl nut with your kit but the main nozzle is a special order deal.i have replaced them but only when rebuilding a green carb.thats one that had gas in it for a while.

and we all know that gas will rot in one of those real fast.

seems that the more different metals you put in a carb the faster it goes sour ,then things get messy.

im still unsure of the horsepower difference,i think its more than just the carb.

im betting there is a bore and stroke change.

ill know tomorrow,soon as i get to the microfiche cards.

hmmm i feel like a secret agent...

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
snowshoveler

Reply #37   Jan 26, 2005 9:11 pm
okay here is the info that i found on the tecumseh engines.

the 8,8.5,9, 10, 10.5,11L heads all have the same piston... part # 35776a

the 10,11,12,12.5,13 ohv all have the same piston...part #40011

only differences i could find (and i might add i was on my lunch break) was in the carb.

the bowl nut (aka high speed)  part #s 640005 ,640024 ,640012 ,640137. sells for6.56 to 11.46

and main nozzle (aka plastic tube) part # 640005 ,640013.sells for 1.73 to 3.53

all prices are canadian and subject to change without notice bla bla bla ha ha

so it would seem that there is little difference between the engines.

next i went to the service manual and found that the l head engines all have the same bore and stroke but there are 2 different

cubic inch displacements .

didnt get to look for the dislacement info on the ohv engines.

so far its kinda interesting

later chris.

ps i dont know which carb takes which nozzle or bowl nut...i will need engine spec numbers for that.

Marshall

Reply #38   Jan 26, 2005 9:14 pm
Shoveler, small blocks and big blocks huh? LOL

Thanks for you efforts and time!
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #39   Jan 26, 2005 9:23 pm
I assume we are talking about the newer non adjustable jet engines. What about the older engines with the adjustable jets? We would also like to get a few inexpensive "horses" under our air boxes!

Marc 

This message was modified Jan 26, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #40   Jan 26, 2005 9:29 pm
Hi there Chris,

I was thinking about this today and was actually hoping the Tecumseh representative was pulling my chain on the phone the other day.  From your preliminary findings, its looking like you may have helped uncover something disturbing, to say the least.  Although I am familiar with carburetion and how important it is to performance with these engines, (from my racing days) this really makes me sit back and scratch my head.  I'd really have been ticked off if I had paid the extra money for the 10 hp version of my snowblower.  In fact, if it was an OHV 10 hp, I would have.  Thanks for going to the trouble of helping out on this one.  I would like to find the actual jetting or main nozzle for my engine and toss it in for kicks.  It might make me feel better knowing I beat them at their own game 

Richie
18Degrees

Reply #41   Jan 26, 2005 11:51 pm
If someone would make a aftermarket high horsepower carb with an hour meter and Pri-G injector, they could sell it for $247.97 to each one of us!

18 Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
AJace

Reply #42   Jan 27, 2005 12:28 am
Sounding more like a dirty secret.    Here I was going to pay $400 for 3 more horses.  Now I only have to pay $4-$14. 

Degrees, I'd second that carb. 

Majorxlr8n

Reply #43   Jan 27, 2005 2:02 am
I covered this very subject in depth on the WTB Lawnmower forum...

I too searched & found out that there WERE different head/piston/connecting rod/carb combinations. That line the Tecumseh rep gave about jetting is HOGWASH. You guys are too quick to "jump on the bandwagon". Chris (Snowshoveller) is the only one besides me that realizes this. On a single cylinder, small cubic inch (15 ci?) OPE engine, you just aren't going to pick up TWO or THREE HORSEPOWER by a jetting change. NO WAY. I've changed jetting on automotive engines & dynoed them - I have found that I never gained more than 10-15hp on a properly carburated engine. These engines were all in excess of 400 cubic inches, mostly Pontiacs (400, 406, 428, 434, 440, 455, 462, 473, 480, 496ci) powerplants. Those "odd numbered" ci displacements are different rod/stroke/piston height/crankshafts to obtain some LARGE displacements, and better rod/stroke ratios for high RPM drag engines (6500 RPM+). These Tecumseh's have about 15 cubic inches, so I want someone to provide me with PROOF that a jetting change can yield 2 or 3 more HP on such a small engine. Its done by changing a COMBINATION of other engine components that will change: compression ratio, head flow, higher CFM carb (CFM=cubic feet per minute, a measurement of airflow). These items will provide a small, believable hp increase. Carb jetting alone on a one-lunged engine will not.

Mods - if you can go back (if possible) to WTB & obtain the thread where I posted my findings, it may shed some light here. I spent quite a bit of time researching this & wish not to "reinvent the wheel".

Nuff said...

Marty

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #44   Jan 27, 2005 6:56 am
Preliminary findings means just that.  But thus far, its seeming correct for the most part.  I think were Snowshoveler is going to find a slight difference is in the cubic inches or CC's of at least one version of the 11 hp, either L-head or OHV.  We are not talking about 15 cu. in., rather 19.43 cu. or 318 cc's on the 8-10 hp and I believe 21.82 cu. in. or 357.58 cc's on say, an 11 hp.  Governed RPM seems to vary widely as well.  From as low as 3,150 RPM's to as high as 3,700.  Whether you have an alternator for lighting or battery charging requires a different governed setting as opposed to an engine without those features. These engines also run at only about 50% of what they are capable of which is in the mid 3,000 RPM range.  If anything, this is all very interesting and has turned out to be a great discussion.  In the end, Snow is our only insider here having access to information that will solve all of this.  When he's done looking into this, I'll go by his decision whether confirming or tossing all of this out. 

Richie
18Degrees

Reply #45   Jan 27, 2005 8:56 am
Majorxlr8n,  Thank you for your information.                                                                                                                                                                       18 degrees
This message was modified Jan 27, 2005 by 18Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
AJace

Reply #46   Jan 27, 2005 1:51 pm
Yes, I'll second that thanks!      Thanks for your time and energy spent on this.  You all are teaching me things here. 

Termy

Reply #47   Jan 27, 2005 5:58 pm
buttlint is the master of governor operation and HP ratings. He is the one who taught me. I am a little surprised he has not been here yet.

Majorxlr8n

Reply #48   Jan 27, 2005 8:39 pm
Richie wrote:
 We are not talking about 15 cu. in., rather 19.43 cu. or 318 cc's on the 8-10 hp and I believe 21.82 cu. in. or 357.58 cc's on say, an 11 hp.

Even if its THIRTY cubic inches, a jetting change will NOT yield 2 or 3 hp...

Marty

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #49   Jan 27, 2005 9:02 pm
Majorxlr8n wrote:

Even if its THIRTY cubic inches, a jetting change will NOT yield 2 or 3 hp...

Nobody has said it would.  To keep confusion, if any, to a minimum, I was correcting the 15 cu. in. in your post to exactly what engine sizes are in question. 

Richie
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #50   Jan 27, 2005 9:15 pm
Marty if you can remember what it was titled I can find it.....

Let me know and I will go get it and copy it here....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #51   Jan 28, 2005 10:04 am
Hi folks,

This is a quote from a friend who deals with Tecumseh engines.  He too has been trying to get a few questions answered for me and spoke with a Tecumseh rep yeserday.  Below is what he was told by a different tech than I spoke with.  

Richie this is straight from Tecumseh engineers. There is no difference between a 8 thru 11 hp Tecumseh snowblower carb . The difference is in the intakes and valves. But there is no difference in the carbs. Don.

Richie
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #52   Jan 29, 2005 2:18 pm
I got tired of getting different answers from different Techs at Tecumseh, so I did the research on my own to find the difference, at least comparing the differences between an 8 or 9 hp L-head to a 10 hp L-head.

Everything is the same on an 8-10, including carburetor, jetting, head, crank, exhaust valve, intake valve, cam shaft.  The difference is that the piston and connecting rod are different.  I was also told from a mechanic that works on these engines that the Tecumseh 11 hp OHV engine uses a new cheaper type of carburetor.  So, is it really worth the extra money for a 10 hp L-head, that is up to the buyer.  Is it worth the extra money for the 11 hp OHV engine, I'd always prefer an OHV over an L-head.  Just depends on how deep your pockets are.

Richie
Marshall

Reply #53   Jan 29, 2005 2:38 pm
Hey Richie,

Thanks for you input and hard work looking for this info.

How are we suppose to know which is correct?
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #54   Jan 29, 2005 3:00 pm
Marshall wrote:
Hey Richie,

Thanks for you input and hard work looking for this info.

How are we suppose to know which is correct?

Hi there Marshall,

That's another great valid question.  How I determined all of this is that I got a look at all the part numbers for the engines in question.  I made a list of all the possible reasons for increased horse power which include all the components listed above in my evaluation of all of this.  The part numbers where exact for all except for what I mentioned as different.  What else is there to use except for the actual part exploded views for each type of engine?  So I have to look at this as solved. 

What I don't know is what the cost is, if say, you wanted to rebuild or modify your 8 or 9 and decided to make it a 10 hp.  Off the top of my head I've have to say if you are doing the work yourself, the price difference must be negligible.  SnowRemover (Chris) may be able to shed some light on that fact.

The one thing I have done is get my hands on a brand new reverted EPA carburetor for my snowblower.  Visually it is an absolute duplicate to the one on my machine now including the exact governor bracket, and as mentioned, is brand new never used.  The difference is that it has the rich/lean adjustment screws installed, and fully tested.  So I won't have any more of these rough running issues.  I'll even have the option of being able to adjust the carb for given temperatures.  I'm sure these snowblowers may run differently if the temperature is 15 degrees as opposed to 28 degrees.  I should have it in my hands by Tuesday or Wednesday.  Thanks Marc for your assistance with the new carburetor

Richie
Marshall

Reply #55   Jan 29, 2005 3:06 pm
Ah, Ok. I missed the part where you looked at every part and part number. I would say that is pretty detailed and would have to hold water. LOL 

Did you mean Snowshoveler Chris?

Good work Richie, thanks for taking the time to do it and post your results here. Hope you get a Blizzard as a reward.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #56   Jan 29, 2005 3:10 pm
Marshall wrote:

Did you mean Snowshoveler Chris?

Yes, I meant Snowshoveler (Chris) I missed that typo.

Richie
18Degrees

Reply #57   Jan 30, 2005 9:52 am
Richie,

thanks for all your long work in research.                                             18 degrees

AJace

Reply #58   Jan 30, 2005 4:05 pm
Wow, there had to be something more to it.  Thanks Richie for your love of research and information on this topic.  It's just great. 

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #59   Jan 30, 2005 4:10 pm
You are all very welcome, thank you.

Richie
KohlerTech

Reply #60   Feb 18, 2006 9:25 pm
Del
This message was modified Jul 1, 2010 by KohlerTech
whitetail

Reply #61   Feb 22, 2006 12:40 am
Several engine builders have what they call eng families they are the same bore and stroke valves and pistons, BUT they do change the camshaft. Different cam grind can give eng more compression/HP. This I know for a fact in my Kohler K301 -12hp I put in the Kohler 18hp OHV cam nothing else other than gaskets/seal...WOW what a difference! Can do any job now in higher gear, burns little more gas but job is faster.  So if the hp is higher and the rest is the same check the camshaft most of the time its a low cost upgrade.
nibbler

Reply #62   Feb 22, 2006 8:58 am
KohlerTech wrote:

BTW: has it been discussed what advertised HP REALLY means?

I'll bite, how about starting a new discussion about advertised HP.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #63   Feb 23, 2006 9:37 am
Hi Guys!

The obvious-Every engine has a spec#.Regardless of the stickers if the spec #'s are the same the engine is the same.

Not sure about Tecumseh but if you remember the Briggs -Simplicity situation last spring we confirmed that the 9 through12 HP Briggs were the exact same engine. We also found that several of the engines in that run did not appear in the Briggs catalog of engines. The phantom models were produced for Simplicity by Briggs on special order and were simply re:stickered. If anyone missed that discussion search for the thread "Converation with Simplicity".

Marc  

Garandman

Reply #64   Feb 23, 2006 12:24 pm
The Intek Snow engines brochure shows the same net horsepower and net torque curves for the 9 and 11 hp models.

Net hp is a max of 6 for the 6.5 & 7.5; about 9 for the 9 & 11 at 3600rpm; and about 9.8 for the 13 at 3600.

Net torque is max 9 ft lbs for the 6.5&7.5; a little over 13 for the 9&11; and 16 for the 13.

I've only ever found one reference to torque for Tecumseh snow engines, and it is a graphic that is not readable.....
jogo

Reply #65   Feb 23, 2006 5:36 pm
Thanks for starting a great thread, and thanks for everyones input. I found this to be veddddddyyyyy interesting.

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
RedCoupe

Reply #66   Feb 28, 2006 4:45 pm
Fyi....copy of post regarding discussion I had with Tecumseh past November on power specifics of the 9.25 and 11Hp motors.  

Bob....
wally

Reply #67   Mar 2, 2006 8:23 pm
FYI.....

I'm told that the difference between a Mercury 50 hp 4-stroke Outboard and a Mercury 60hp 4-stroke Outboard is a carburator restricter plate (reducing the air/gas mixture and thus making a potential 60 hp motor into a 50 hp motor).  I personally haven't verified this.... but I know an authorized Mercury outboard mechanic who told me this in confidence.

*(:>)*

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #68   Mar 3, 2006 6:23 pm
KohlerTech wrote:

FWIW: Most HP ratings are for a specific RPM. Usually they do not change HP ratings just by governor settings. In fact they cannot, legally. There has to be a discernable difference between and engine that is sold as 9 HP and one that is sold as 10. Can be 1 one cent part, but it has to be there. (more than just a sticker) Many times the rated HP is at an RPM above the governor setting. In which case the engine would never see that point.

Hi Nate,

What  may be taught to a companies sales force or technicians and what the public (consumer) is sold are two different things.  Last year Marc discovered just how deep all this goes from his quote below.  

mml4 wrote:

Not sure about Tecumseh but if you remember the Briggs -Simplicity situation last spring we confirmed that the 9 through12 HP Briggs were the exact same engine. We also found that several of the engines in that run did not appear in the Briggs catalog of engines. The phantom models were produced for Simplicity by Briggs on special order and were simply re:stickered. If anyone missed that discussion search for the thread "Converation with Simplicity".

Marc  

Glad to see this post is still being tossed around.  Hopefully in the last year it has helped save the consumer a lot of money by not purchasing the higher horse power engines.

Richie

Richie
jubol

Reply #69   Mar 4, 2006 6:56 am
Richie,

I bought a 9HP OHV, 27 in cut snowblower.

The HP rating was on the blower body, not the engine!!

When I checked  my engine spec with Tecumseh, I was told that I have an 11 HP OHV Engine!!!!

Also going to their web site, my Spec numbers on my series engine is an 11 HP engine.

So I paid for 9 HP and got 11 HP!!!

Not Bad.

Fred 

Garandman

Reply #70   Mar 4, 2006 7:25 am
wally wrote:
FYI.....

I'm told that the difference between a Mercury 50 hp 4-stroke Outboard and a Mercury 60hp 4-stroke Outboard is a carburator restricter plate (reducing the air/gas mixture and thus making a potential 60 hp motor into a 50 hp motor).  I personally haven't verified this.... but I know an authorized Mercury outboard mechanic who told me this in confidence.

*(:>)*

Smaller Mercury outboards are made by Tohatsu. There's no restrictor plate. The 25hp and the 30hp are the same, the 25hp is simply measured at lower rpm.

According to the Briggs and Stratton Intek Snow brochure, the 9 & 11 hp motors have identical hp and identical torque values. I'm sure you all can do the math involved.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #71   Mar 4, 2006 8:15 am
jubol wrote:
Richie,

I bought a 9HP OHV, 27 in cut snowblower.

The HP rating was on the blower body, not the engine!!

When I checked  my engine spec with Tecumseh, I was told that I have an 11 HP OHV Engine!!!!

Also going to their web site, my Spec numbers on my series engine is an 11 HP engine.

So I paid for 9 HP and got 11 HP!!!

Hi Fred,

That is really great!  Which blower was that, the Husquvarna? 

Richie
jubol

Reply #72   Mar 4, 2006 8:30 am
Hi Richie,

Yes it was!!

Fred

Snowbound

Reply #73   Mar 4, 2006 5:25 pm
What is the actual horsepower rating of my recently purchased (Feb 15) Craftsman - Briggs & Stratton  11.5 hp Snow Thrower? 

Also, what is the estimated gas consumption measured in gallons-per-hour while running the engine on high speed as recommended by the company?  The gas tank holds one gallon.

nibbler

Reply #74   Mar 5, 2006 11:14 am
Snowbound

I won't comment on the HP rating since that has been covered extensively and with much speculation. For anyone to really be able to comment they need the exact make and model of the engine, not the blower.

. As far as gas consumption is concerned you can't really give an accurate estimate since it all depends on load. Heavy wet snow will use much more gas than light fluffy stuff. The throttle on every blower I've used actually limits how high the governor can go. When the manual  throttle is in the high position the governor will try to maintain a constant operating RPM as the load on the machine changes. More load means more gas. I find I can do about 6-15 driveways of heavy wet snow before I need to refuel. Since you should top off the tank before starting up to begin with it doesn't really matter  how long it will last unless you are doing either more than one driveway or your driveway is huge.
Snowbound

Reply #75   Mar 5, 2006 7:26 pm
Thanks Nibbler.
Replies: 1 - 75 of 75View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42