Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Powerland line of snowblowers?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
grump

Powerland line of snowblowers?
Original Message   Nov 6, 2009 9:26 am
One is shown here: http://www.powerlandonline.com/product/PDST24/Snow_Blower_24_65_HP_on_Sale__free_shipping.html

Any information on who makes it, reliability etc appreciated.  Searching online was fruitless.

It doesn't seem to have pinned wheels....  am also curious how easily it'd navigate.
Replies: 19 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
snowmachine

Re: Powerland line of snowblowers?
Reply #19   Feb 9, 2010 10:22 pm
EagleRhino wrote:
Here are some reviews on Costco's website.  Doesn't look good ...

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11497650/reviews.htm

Those reviews make an MTD look like a high end Honda. :-)
snowmachine

Reply #20   Feb 9, 2010 10:22 pm
EagleRhino wrote:
Here are some reviews on Costco's website.  Doesn't look good ...

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11497650/reviews.htm

Those reviews make an MTD look like a high end Honda. :-)
teseglet

Reply #21   Dec 18, 2010 9:16 pm
So here it is over a year after I first purchased the Powerland 24" and have used it 10+ times. The Good: The engine is fantastic... in sub 0 F weather it still starts with 1 easy pull after 2 pumps of the prime (and while there is electric start it is more effort to put a power cord in an outlet than give a pull on the engine cord) Following some other guidance, I set the scraper clearance the thickness of a dime, and this machine does a phenomenal job of clearing a path down to the driveway as if it were a 1 stage When the snow is dry,the auger really pumps it out... about 20'... but recently plowed 8" of very very wet heavy snow, but, good news, still tossed it 3' - 5' and did not get all jammed up While this is my first snowblower, so I have no comparison, my personal opinion is it pretty easy to maneuver. The Bad: Literally on the very last pass of last season I pushed the blower into a large pile of very wet, heavy icy snow and the drive belt came off. I called Powerland to complain and they sent me some more free belts. Now that I know how to put the belt on, I think the original may have been installed faulty because it made a much different moaning sound when engaging When I was doing a pre-winter prep a couple weeks back I found one of the tires down and seal broken... and before I found out the trick of using a rope around the circumference and tightening it to get a bead again, I took both tires to the local bike shop to put in tubes so I won't have to worry mid-winter... but it set me back over $80 for parts and labor (I know, I got ripped off) In summary, the unit is all metal, but maybe not the highest quality metal. At least the wheels are not plastic like some of the new hardware store versions. The mechanicals are all pretty basic and serviceable. There is no sign of of rust or wear and looks like I got it a month ago, not a year ago. No oil is consumed. For maintenance, I use Mobil 1 0W-40 and Mobil 1 grease. I put Sta-bil in the gas and just turn off the gas switch and run the engine until the gas burns off in that cavity at the end of the season. Not even a hint of hesitation for start up when the new season began. If there are no belts or tire issues I would be dazzled with this machine relative to it's cost, but a year later am still very happy I made the purchase decision.
gruffmk

Reply #22   Feb 23, 2011 8:57 am
Powerland products are made by American SD Power, Inc.  The engines are made by Loncin (China).  After much investigation on the internet, I was able to acquire this info and actually communicate with both firms regarding parts.  For engine parts, contact:
Debbie Sewell
1200 Minters Chapel
Suite 200
Grapevine, Tx. 76051

866-393-3968
Fax: 817-442-5402
debbie@awsglobal.net

If you should purchase one and it doesn't start out of the box, disconnect the yellow wire coming out of the starter box.  It is connected to the low oil sensor and sometimes gets stuck during shipping.  Should start after disconnecting.  DO NOT RECONNECT THE WIRE WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING - you'll blow the ignition coil.

Also, make sure you tighten BOTH ends of the drive shaft (screw/nut) along the sidewalls of the driveshaft casing.  The screw end will work itself loose and come off, leaving you stranded with no drive power.  You should check this before each use.

You can also contact Lafayette Hannibel @ jr.hannibel@americansdpower.com
teseglet

Powerland 24" still running after 4 years - Labor of Love
Reply #23   Apr 14, 2013 8:51 pm
Here is an update from some posts I left several years ago. Still running after 4 seasons. This Powerland snowblower is a labor of love... had to add tubes to both tires in year #2 and then get replacement belts after the originals got eaten up at an inopportune time during a storm. The shoes also were worn out after 3 seasons and needed replaced. With that said, I just summarized (? - is that the inverse of winterize?) this blower today now that winter #4 is winding down and it is still running and throwing snow, despite it's obvious low quality. The big difference between '09 and today is the cost is now 40% more (based on what I saw at some on-line sites I saw that still carry it). All told I've had to "invest" ~ $140 additional in parts and labor over 4 years to keep it going (beyond oil and gas costs). Not sure if that is normal or not. The great news is this Honda clone engine still starts on the first pull, even in sub-zero temperatures (I use Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic in it). Over 4 years I've got roughly $600 invested in this snowblower... hopefully I can double it's lifespan from here.... but still happy with my purchase decision.
sscotsman

Re: Powerland 24" still running after 4 years - Labor of Love
Reply #24   Apr 16, 2013 10:32 pm
teseglet wrote:
All told I've had to "invest" ~ $140 additional in parts and labor over 4 years to keep it going (beyond oil and gas costs). Not sure if that is normal or not.

No, that really isnt normal at all..
for a new snowblower, really nothing at all should go wrong in only 4 years..
after 10 to 20 years, you can expect parts to begin needing replacement, but if things are going wrong immediately,
well..you know the reason! ;) I dont need to spell it out..

Im using a 40-year old Ariens, and my total investment in parts and labor over 4 years has been zero dollars,
beyond oil and gas costs..I expect it go on this way indefinitely..

Scot
This message was modified Apr 16, 2013 by sscotsman
Replies: 19 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42