Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130 SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

John Deere 1130 SE
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:07 pm
I did a search and found a few references to this machine but no answers.  Any one have one of these?  15.5 snow max engine, heated hand grips, 30" wide.  I can't find a listing for auger diameter or impeller diameter.  I called John Deere and the guy that was suppose to be the snow thrower expert didn't know either. 

What is the Easy Steer drive system?  The literature says: 

• Easy Steer® drive system giving continuous power to both wheels and auto speed adjustment
  • Is it similar to the Ariens auto differential? 

I've heard that the units are built by B&S which translates to Simplicity.  They do have cast iron gear cases like the Simplicity.  The chute control is different than the simplicity and so is the turning method so they are not exactly the same.  I'm trying to compare the Simplicity L1530E to the JD 1130SE.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Replies: 240 - 249 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    lanningjw

Re: John Deere 1130 SE
    Reply #240   Jan 31, 2010 11:02 am
    Just change 5 hour break in oil to Mobile one synthetic. I think the BS engine is running smother and quieter now with the new oil! Starts on the first or second pull after hitting the primer a couple of time. I only have to crank the choke one click and the engine fires up.
    This message was modified Jan 31, 2010 by lanningjw
    unrulee

Reply #241   Feb 3, 2010 11:55 pm
    This is my first post here, hello to all!

I'm a mechanic at a JD dealership and I purchased a 1130se this year.  I have good luck with my machine, but like many of you, it would occationally slip in the lower gears (F or R). 

From what I have seen at my location in central ND, Deere doesn't have anything for solutions.

After reading the info posted here I sealed up the gearcase underneath the engine.  I used JD "combine sealant" (yes, that's what it's called).  I used it since it matches the green paint and it costs less than $10.  Once we finally got some snow I am happy to report that the slippage problem is gone.

Locally we have come up with another solution for the slippage problem.........there are two springs that actually press the rubber drive wheel into the steel wheel.  The are located at the very bottom of transmission housing.  Remove those two springs and take them to your local hardware store and match them up with replacement springs that have a larger wire diameter (they will be stiffer and will press the wheels together tighter), but are still the same length.  To get the springs installed you may have to remove the engagement cable (I did) and re-adjust the length of the cable once you get the new springs on.  The handle will be slightly stiffer, but not horrible.  Total cost for this mod is less than $5.

Hope this helps!

This message was modified Feb 4, 2010 by unrulee
    Catt

Reply #242   Feb 4, 2010 1:05 am
    Welcome unrulee!  I also considered changing these two springs if the sealing hadn't solved my problem.  I never tried it but was wondering if the extra pressure would help.  I'm going to leave mine with only the sealant  since it's been working great, but here's a picture to help if anyone else want's to try unrulee's spring suggestion.  These springs are the limiting factor for the amount of pressure the aluminum disc applies to the rubber drive wheel. 

This message was modified Feb 4, 2010 by Catt
    Catt

Reply #243   Feb 4, 2010 1:48 am
    I've been doing a little experimenting with the chute.  I wanted to see if I can cut down on the amount of snow that drops on the machine from the chute.  The idea is to keep the snow stream going up the chute rather than some of it flying out due to momentum from the impeller rotation.  I'm not sure how well this will work especially with slush, but if it's a problem I can remove it.  I used the same plastic that I used to line the back of the chute.

Catt

Reply #244   Feb 4, 2010 1:16 pm
    Swoods,  I got a new toy!  I didn't find a Lawn Boy mower, but I did find a Billy Goat Outback brush mower with a 13HP Honda engine.  It's in really good shape, but I'll probably go through it and maybe put on some new paint where needed.  It's also green!
    This message was modified Feb 4, 2010 by Catt
    aa335

Reply #245   Feb 4, 2010 1:45 pm
    Catt wrote:
    I've been doing a little experimenting with the chute.  I wanted to see if I can cut down on the amount of snow that drops on the machine from the chute.  The idea is to keep the snow stream going up the chute rather than some of it flying out due to momentum from the impeller rotation.  I'm not sure how well this will work especially with slush, but if it's a problem I can remove it.  I used the same plastic that I used to line the back of the chute.

Looks good.  Hope you see some improvements.  My snowblower also drops snow on the side next to the chute as well.  It doesn't do it all the time, mostly with the light powdery stuff.  I think the atomization of the light snow slows down the velocity as it leaves the chute, then falling back down.
    Catt

Reply #246   Feb 4, 2010 3:16 pm

Interesting… I see that Yamaha has something similar on the chute of their snowblower. 

Take a look:
    http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/32052-0-1.html

aa335

Reply #247   Feb 4, 2010 3:41 pm
    I think the principle behind the plastic lining is to act as an insulator.  When the snow hits the metal chute, the heat is conducted away the snow, and refreezes on the metal surface.  Think of sticking your warm tongue on a cold flag pole.  Don't try it.  :)
    borat

Reply #248   Feb 4, 2010 5:34 pm
    Yo Catt: Let us know how that chute mod works out. I might be inclined to try it myself.
    Catt

Reply #249   Feb 5, 2010 10:15 am

Chute Update (I’m not sure what to call this lower piece of plastic that I added to the chute)  -  Please keep in mind that my testing is limited and results may vary with different snow conditions.

Today we had around 3” of medium weight snow.  The snow coming out of the chute pretty much looks identical weather blowing to the left or to the right.  Snow dust will still accumulate on the blower which in my case was mostly blow back coming from a slight wind.  I also had some snow dust  that drops from the upper part of the chute.   I can say that no snow drops out of the lower portion of the chute onto the snowblower.  I can’t say just yet if it is worth a large effort to put it on a machine, but I’m planning to leave it on my machine. I may try a taller size in the future just out of curiosity.

Replies: 240 - 249 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42