Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 104 - 113 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mikemilton

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #104   Jan 16, 2010 3:16 pm
&lt;BR&gt;<BR> Steve_Cebu wrote:
Is that the Honda HSM1590i? It sure looks like it. I didn't think they made those any more. No doubt with skid steer on the treads it would be a breeze to turn. That's also a hybrid engine as well right?&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;I bet it weighs a ton, but probably moves snow with authority!&lt;BR&gt;
&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;

It is actually the 1336i (which is current). It will turn about its own center (with the tracks moving in opposite directions).
The motor is gas only but the drive is 2 24V motors (one for each track) which the the 'hybrid' part. and it is about 500lbs.
One can move it out of the garage on electric only and start it outdoors (no fumes)
It throws snow at least 50' and is rated to move 90 tons per hour.
The drive adjusts to the snow load automatically The auger height is powered (and adjustable on the fly).

All very nice but *not* cheap

here is a link to the dealer page:

http://www.honda.ca/HPower/Models/ModelOverview?L=E&amp;Type=SnowBlowers&amp;Series=HSM1336&amp;Model=HSM1336iC
This message was modified Jan 16, 2010 by mikemilton
snowmachine

Reply #105   Jan 16, 2010 4:15 pm
Wow! Up to 62 foot throwing distance. http://tinyurl.com/ydtb7rm
Steve_Cebu

Reply #106   Jan 16, 2010 5:48 pm
mikemilton wrote:
&lt;BR&gt;<BR> &lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;

It is actually the 1336i (which is current). It will turn about its own center (with the tracks moving in opposite directions).
The motor is gas only but the drive is 2 24V motors (one for each track) which the the 'hybrid' part. and it is about 500lbs.
One can move it out of the garage on electric only and start it outdoors (no fumes)
It throws snow at least 50' and is rated to move 90 tons per hour.
The drive adjusts to the snow load automatically The auger height is powered (and adjustable on the fly).

All very nice but *not* cheap

here is a link to the dealer page:

http://www.honda.ca/HPower/Models/ModelOverview?L=E&amp;Type=SnowBlowers&amp;Series=HSM1336&amp;Model=HSM1336iC

I see it's a Canadian only model. But $8,300CDN is far away from being cheap. Love the fact that it has tracks that allow it to turn, too bad Honda only uses that system on their highest model.

Very impressive machine you have there!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #107   Jan 24, 2010 10:34 am
Mikemilton, with a kilometer of driveway to walk, you may want to adopt this fellow's idea;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaMZxymdaHI

Maybe some old skis attached to the bottom of a tall bar stool!!!

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
mikemilton

Reply #108   Jan 30, 2010 4:45 pm
priceless... add a chair and a drink holder and you are done

Thanks, m
MN_Runner

Reply #109   Dec 17, 2010 11:23 pm
The 2010 price difference between HS724WA and HS928WA is only $200.  Essentially you are paying $200 more for additional 2HP and 4" width.  The 6.5 HP is okay for most scenarios but can be taxing when the snow is deep (i.e., EOD), which was the primary reason for switching to HS928WAS.  If the dealer had HS928WA in stock, I would have bought that in the first place instead of HS724WA but it only had 928WAS in stock and was $400 more compared to 724WA.   So for $400, you are getting additional 2hp, 4" width, electric start and a gas gauge.  One thing I miss about HS724 is its super quietness as the HS928 is a bit louder (it is a relative comparison).  However, HS928 has not given me any impression it is ever taxed or lacked power so it was an appropriate upgrade.  Turning with my 928WAS is getting easier and quicker so hopefully it will be much easier in Jan 2011.  I am also doing weights to compliment my 125LB body.  I do like the way Honda is built and made when I compare its construction against similar Toro and Ariens models. Paying $2400 for a new HS928WAS is not an easy feeling but then again operating a snowblower you always wanted is priceless.
starwarrior

Reply #110   Dec 19, 2010 4:14 am
Why Not?

Lets just look at the engine. American companies are only interested in manufacturing cheap junk. 

Briggs engines blocks are made of pot metal cheese and Techumseh is no longer in existance. Briggs does have a line of cast engine blocks, mostly for their performance product line and costs 3 times more that a Honda engine. ( Don't expect to see them on a consumer product any time soon)

Buy for resale products hold about 98% of the market and these companies are only interested in manufacturing their products as cheap as they possibly can. The few exceptions are companies like Honda who manufacture precision engineered machines and manufacturing costs are simply alot higher.

There is a big difference between pot metal castings and T6061 machined aluminum housings both in price and in quality.

Starwarrior

This message was modified Dec 19, 2010 by starwarrior
alty

Reply #111   Dec 19, 2010 3:30 pm
[starwarrior]  -   "Lets just look at the engine. American companies are only interested in manufacturing cheap junk. "

WOW !

aa335

Reply #112   Dec 19, 2010 3:58 pm
starwarrior wrote:
There is a big difference between pot metal castings and T6061 machined aluminum housings both in price and in quality.

Starwarrior

I have 2 Honda snowblowers, both with GX commercial grade engines, and have yet to see a T6061 machined aluminum engine block.  They look like cast aluminum to me, with steel liners. 

My father's snowblower has a gc160 engine and it's not really a stellar engine to write home about.  It does the job, I don't particularly get too excited about it, but I don't think there's nothing better about it compared to a Briggs and Stratton engine of similar design.

No one company is exempt from going cheap to make a sale, domestic or foreign nameplate, regardless of country of manufacturer or origin.  Toyota is the first comes to mind, with the world's best selling car Corolla, has the most safety recall so far.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #113   Dec 19, 2010 9:23 pm
joed wrote:
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?

Must be a Canadian Import Tariff.  The HS 928TAS in US dollars is 2900.00 and the US Dollar is almost the same as the Canadian these days, less than 1% difference. Either that or the dealer's just Ripping You Off.

The Honda Engine is superior to whatever is on the Toro & Ariens, and the Honda has an actual Transmission, not the 'friction wheel' drive system the Toro & Ariens machines use.  That Hydrostatic Transmission was why I spent the extra money on the Honda Snowblower.

Replies: 104 - 113 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42