Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 68 - 77 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
MetalKing

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #68   Dec 28, 2009 2:42 pm
aa335 wrote:
Are you considering the Ariens Deluxe 24" or the Ariens Deluxe Platinum 24"?

I was looking at the Deluxe 24 model.  I thought that if I paid for all the features that are included in the Platnum 24 that I would be getting within shouting distance of purchasing the Honda.  I believe that I can buy the Deluxe 24 for @$900.  Thanks.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #69   Dec 28, 2009 2:48 pm
Paul7 wrote:
I'm having trouble reconciling some of the prices noted throughout this thread.  I looked up the list MSRP for Honda, Simplicity, and Ariens commercial models and I'm not seeing where Honda is priced at twice what other are listed for.  For example:

Honda HS928WAS (28" wheels w/ electric start) listed at $2,679 US Dollars.
Simplicity Pro P1628E (28" wheels w/ electric start) listed at $2,250 US Dollars.  Difference is $429 or a 16% premium for the Honda.

Honda HS928TAS (28" tracks w/ electric start) listed at $2,799 US Dollars.
Ariens ST28DLET (28" tracks w/ electric start) listed at $2499 US Dollars.   Difference is $300 or a 11% premium for the Honda.

I compared the top of the line Pro-Commercial Simplicity and Pro model Ariens to the Commercial rated Honda's, which seems fair.  I know that one can claim that a lower end Simplicity or Ariens can do the same job as the Honda...but then one can also claim that a $10 shovel can do the same thing as any snow blower.  So to compare apples to apples I looked at the top of the line models for each brand.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the Simplicity's and Ariens are deeply discounted off of the MSRP and the Honda's are not...which might make the Honda's cost twice what the other Pro-models cost but I'm not sure that's the case.

BTW...I'm an Ariens man.  Not sure how that will play out over time because I was also an Oldsmobile man and we all know how that worked out.

I paid $2,537 for a 928TAS.  They gave me $150 off on the electric start which I didn't want but wanted a unit so $50 more ok. So my Toro 1028 was $1,699.99 The Honda 928TAS had tracks that adds to the cost of any unit and well worth it for me. Makes it $837 premium over the Toro. I figure the tracks are pretty expensive so no way to compare to Toro and another Ariens dealer I spoke with said Ariens didn't make good tracks. I have no idea, but he didn't sell Honda but suggested Honda if I wanted tracks.

I'm new to all this but I'd head down to a local dealer you trust and take a few of these out for a spin and see which one you like. If the Honda isn't worth an extra $800 then maybe a Simplicity or Toro or Ariens. I have to admit if I wanted wheels the Toro Skid steer is well worth trying out it's works so well that I can't see the others working as well for turning on a dime. The Honda does not turn as well as the Toro 1028 with skid steer on both wheels. Simplicity has just one wheel that locks as does some Ariens and the Ariens Limited slip on their high end models seemed useless when my wife and I tried it. YMMV, try them out that's what the dealer is for. I only wish I had tried the Honda instead of putting it off because of the price.
Buy what you like and what works for you.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #70   Dec 28, 2009 2:49 pm
Steve,

You did pretty good on the pricing of that 928TAS.  That's funny that  your wife wants in on the snowblowing action as well.  Don't worry about the 928 being wimpy compared to the 1132.  There are rare occasions when snow is deep and heavy enough for the 1132 beast to outshine the 928.

aa335

Reply #71   Dec 28, 2009 3:05 pm
MetalKing wrote:
I was looking at the Deluxe 24 model.  I thought that if I paid for all the features that are included in the Platnum 24 that I would be getting within shouting distance of purchasing the Honda.  I believe that I can buy the Deluxe 24 for @$900.  Thanks.

If you are looking for a Ariens Deluxe 24, the price differential is too great to cross shop a Honda 724.  May I interest you to consider the Ariens Deluxe Platinum 24" AND a singe stage Toro 221Q for about the same $$$ to one Honda HS724?  It may sound ludicrous, but it will become quite reasonable and smart decision later on.

The Platinum 24" at about $1300 is a good deal, all features considered.  It is quite feature loaded.  The 24", $1300 snowblower category is quite competitive so I think you are getting the best value here.  The Toro 221Q is $619, best performing single stage snowblower, IMO.
This message was modified Dec 28, 2009 by aa335
Paul7

Reply #72   Dec 28, 2009 4:51 pm
aa335 wrote:
Paul,

Just stay where you are.  Soon after the healthcare bill passes in the US, you will be paying what Canadians pay.  :)

Borat,

Just imagine if Canada send troops all over the world, how much more would you pay for a snowblower?

In all seriousness, there is no discounting or very little on Honda snowblower in my part of the country.  I got free delivery and a quart of oil. 

aa335,  I don't even want to think about it.   Oh wait, great news!  I just read that we're going to pay for the US Healthcare bill by imposing a 10% tax on tanning salon treatments!!!   Whew...for a minute there I was worried that it was going to affect my wallet. 
aa335

Reply #73   Dec 28, 2009 5:08 pm
Paul7 wrote:
I'm having trouble reconciling some of the prices noted throughout this thread.  I looked up the list MSRP for Honda, Simplicity, and Ariens commercial models and I'm not seeing where Honda is priced at twice what other are listed for.  For example:

I'm not sure why such high prices exists.  I believe Honda 2-stage snowblowers are produced in Japan.  Maybe US imposed protective tariffs?

Want to find out how expensive it is to buy a Harley Davidson in Japan?  You may have to slip a few Benjamins in the minister's pocket, a couple of Disneyland tickets,  and a promisary note for a parcel of land in California just to get an appointment with a sales agent.
This message was modified Dec 28, 2009 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #74   Dec 28, 2009 6:57 pm
aa335 wrote:
Steve,

You did pretty good on the pricing of that 928TAS.  That's funny that  your wife wants in on the snowblowing action as well.  Don't worry about the 928 being wimpy compared to the 1132.  There are rare occasions when snow is deep and heavy enough for the 1132 beast to outshine the 928.

Thanks, I figured I did get a good deal. My wife however is less than pleased. In the snow all 2 inches of it she had so much trouble wrangling the tracks that she just quit and gave up. This was after doing less than 1/2 of our driveway and she doesn't give up easily. She says she has too hard a time to turn it. She had no problem at the dealer. Here at our driveway up and down, forward and reverse not a problem, but turning is too much for her tiny frame. She wants the Toro as it was much easier for her to turn and doesn't care that it will not throw slush. (The Toro B&S engine is a bear for her to start and forward and reverse are tough for her with the Toro). I do not want to buy a riding mower and put a snow thrower on it. That's like $5k minimum. She flat out will not use the Honda too much for her.

No clue what I'm going to do now.... Any ideas?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Coldfingers

Reply #75   Dec 28, 2009 8:01 pm
Steve,

Not that this will help you now but I looked at the same blower as you did and I bought the ariens 9526 dlet because as you stated the honda was too hard to turn. I wanted the honda because of their reputation but the honda's tracks are in a locked position all the time, the ariens turns a lot easier as just one track pulls in the normal mode, you can lock both tracks if you want but then you have a hard time turning it as well. I still think the honda is a great machine though.

Coldfingers

borat

Reply #76   Dec 28, 2009 8:19 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Thanks, I figured I did get a good deal. My wife however is less than pleased. In the snow all 2 inches of it she had so much trouble wrangling the tracks that she just quit and gave up. This was after doing less than 1/2 of our driveway and she doesn't give up easily. She says she has too hard a time to turn it. She had no problem at the dealer. Here at our driveway up and down, forward and reverse not a problem, but turning is too much for her tiny frame. She wants the Toro as it was much easier for her to turn and doesn't care that it will not throw slush. (The Toro B&S engine is a bear for her to start and forward and reverse are tough for her with the Toro). I do not want to buy a riding mower and put a snow thrower on it. That's like $5k minimum. She flat out will not use the Honda too much for her.

How about a wheeled Honda?
Paul7

Reply #77   Dec 28, 2009 9:53 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Steve we've all been in your situation at one time or another.  Sometimes it seems like even when we do our due diligence and research on a product there some variable that make a purchase less than ideal.  If your dealer has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee you could return it for a Honda wheeled model.  If not you might be able to sell it yourself to someone and get something close to what you paid for it, then buy a machine that your wife can use.  Or if you still have your Toro 2 stage keep using but add an electric start unit to it and get a good Toro single stage for slush clean-up.  Bottom line though is that if your wife has to do some of the snow blowing at times and she can't handle the Honda tracks then it's the wrong machine for your household.
Replies: 68 - 77 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42