Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Wet slushy stuff

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
iLikeOrange

Wet slushy stuff
Original Message   Dec 26, 2009 9:18 am
We got a mess of this wet slushy stuff some were calling snow yesterday. Snow just can not be any heavier than this stuff. I knew it was gonna' Make the blower work hard. I have a 2005 Ariens 926 pro. There was maybe 5" of the stuff.  It was the biggest challenge the blower has seen and while it barked at me more than ever it was impressive to see and hear. The unit threw the stuff a minimum of 10 ' . This was for the pure slop. I thought for sure thr chute would clog on this, even though it has never has before.  There were moments that it filled up  but then but then "fudged?" out somehow. Never really missing a beat. Maybe stumbled but not missing. For the max throwing distance it didnt seem a whole lot shorter than  normal . It varried as the snow changed throughout the drive. The neighbours blower was benched and he resorted to the trusty shovel. I did his 2 contract jobs a few doors down and a couple more drives as well. All in all the blower earned its spot in the garage ( like it hadn't before? ).

STILL AN ISSUE is that irratating slipping fricktion slip drive. Never liked it never will. Damnit, when I say go, GO!!  Now it only happened a few times and recovers within seconds but it pissed me off every time. I've sealed the unit up to prevent water/snow intrusion but I'm goin' back in. They've peppered this drive housing with so many openings forcing its fate.  To me it is unacceptable behaviour and I want to beat it into submission. Can you tell I hate it?

I'll lighten up a bit and praise the differential. What a work of art it is and a pleasure to turn. Effortless one handed turns and goes where I piont it. I have a trigger to lock both wheels when needed like the super heavy EOD yesterday. It did not unlock immedeatly upon release but that is a minor adjustment I'll tend to shortly.

The motor, a 9.25hp some say is the same as their 11ish hp.  Now I have no idea if it is or not but I can say without reservation that this 9hp is plenty.  Who can't love more hp but I'm guessing that there can't be much difference. My driveway layout is such that I have to send that snow a long way and this unit does it.

All in all I am very impessed and can you beleive even with the fricktion slip "drive" I would do it again?

On a side note there were some single stage units around town that were doing an impressive job in the giant slurpee.

Tomorrow gonna' heat the garage  and give the beauty a mid-winter wax.

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Wet slushy stuff
Reply #11   Jan 1, 2010 5:05 pm
Yo Trouts: Reference this comment of yours: "The 3300 is the Briggs engine RPM, so not like Tecumseh at 3600." Are you saying that the overhead valve B&S snow engines run at 3300 maximum operating rpm? If so, I beg to differ. My 305cc engine runs at 3600 rpm. I have an electronic tach on the machine and can observe engine speed under various loads. At w.o.t., with a very heavy load, it might drop 50 to 100 rpm. Normally though, it stays pretty much at 3600.
Paul7

Reply #12   Jan 1, 2010 5:11 pm
trouts2 wrote:
The two stage I've had all toss to the right best. 

Single stages toss best forward and drop off fairly quickly as you go to either side.

I've had two newer 11.5 OHV Tecumsehs on Ariens machines (24, 28 inch) full great compression.  They were impressive in all conditions.  If I remember right the single stages could bet them at slush that was close to soup, all grey loose mush.  More like a frap than a slush cone.   Anything white stuff no matter how wet the Ariens would slop up and out the chute. 

I've only had 3 and 4.5 hp Toro and MTD machines.  The Toro 4.5's had Suzuki engines and a great engine.  They did very well in slop but they had full rubbers. 

I never had a big single stage but I thought the 7hp guys would be spectacular.  I think those are 4 cycle but they still must have high impeller speeds with good torque. 

My Ariens 722 is a 7 HP Tecumseh® Snow King® 2-Cycle with a displacement of 139cc.  It blows okay if the chute is aimed forward but terrible if it's aimed to the side.  I'm going to check the drive belt because I can't imagine that it would perform so poorly with a 7hp engine.  But then again I think that Ariens discontinued their single stage machines last year so maybe it's just not all that good.
trouts2

Reply #13   Jan 1, 2010 6:55 pm
Paul7: I've heard people bark about the 7hp Ariens machines but still it should be potent.  It almost sounds like my 3's and 4's could match yours.  They'll toss very wet slush 5-15 feet but there is a big difference between forward or to the side.

Borat: What's with the Yo?? Usually that form of address is  to be an insult. 

The 3300 comes from the factory.  I called the other day to find out about newer models auger and impeller speeds.  I asked about the 3300 RPM  which was a surprise.  The rep said refereing to the new Briggs engines that they "all" ran at 3300.  I had asked him to qualify that also and he did.  Now he may be talking generally meaning most and not every single model but as told to me by the rep the new Briggs engines as a group ran at 3300.  If yours is stock at 3600 then it could be just a variant engine or you may be running over REV'ed.   What does your manual say you should be running at?  Possibly Toro recommended speed is 3300 versus max for the block but then you're probably running SeaFrom and experiencing much better performance and higher revs.

This message was modified Jan 3, 2010 by trouts2
trouts2

Reply #14   Jan 1, 2010 7:37 pm
Borat: If you re-read the above posts the reference is to Toro Briggs engines.  They run at 3300 as told to me by the Toro factory and just checking their service manuals are goverened at 3300.  You have a Simplicity yes?  Your either running over reved or Simplicity has configured their engines at 3600.
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #15   Jan 1, 2010 8:25 pm
Trouts, maybe if you ran some Seafoam through your engines more often, you'd see 3600 rpm... (joke)

Contents under pressure....
borat

Reply #16   Jan 1, 2010 8:43 pm
Mr. Trouts: Borat: What's with the Yo?? Usually that form of address is to be an insult. On the contrary. Yo is no more of an insult that saying Hey Trouts. In what part of the country is using the term yo, an insult? I'm interested to know. Regarding your comments concerning engine rpm. Why not put a tach on those engines just to confirm their rpms. You are correct about the Simplicity and B&S engine being governed to run at 3600. I might be wrong but just about all of my four stroke OPE engines (pressure washer Mitsubishi, Champion generator, B&S roto-tiller) also run at 3600 rpm.
This message was modified Jan 1, 2010 by borat
snowmachine

Reply #17   Jan 2, 2010 4:52 am
My 305cc operates at a fixed 3600 RPM as well according to electronic tach. I notice in my engine owners manual the following statement: "Torque values are derived at 3060 RPM; horsepower values are derived at 3600 RPM" http://www.briggsandstratton.com/pdf/owners_manual/100%5C277104TRI_B-Domestic.pdf
borat

Reply #18   Jan 2, 2010 10:12 am
JohnnyBoyUpNorth wrote:
Trouts, maybe if you ran some Seafoam through your engines more often, you'd see 3600 rpm... (joke)

ZING!!!!!!!! Ouch.....
trouts2

Reply #19   Jan 2, 2010 10:14 am

Borat: Why not put a tach on those engines just to confirm their rpms.

?? Why would I want to do that?  If the reading was other than 3300 it would be non-factory so what is the point?

Borat: about all of my four stroke OPE engines (pressure washer Mitsubishi, Champion generator, B&S roto-tiller) also run at 3600 rpm.

Again what is the point?  Lots of Briggs OPE stuff runs at non-3600 settings.  Your stuff may run at 3600 so how does that relate to the discussion of Toro running at 3300?

This message was modified Jan 2, 2010 by trouts2
borat

Reply #20   Jan 2, 2010 3:22 pm
trouts2 wrote:

Borat: Why not put a tach on those engines just to confirm their rpms.

?? Why would I want to do that?  If the reading was other than 3300 it would be non-factory so what is the point?

Borat: about all of my four stroke OPE engines (pressure washer Mitsubishi, Champion generator, B&S roto-tiller) also run at 3600 rpm.

Again what is the point?  Lots of Briggs OPE stuff runs at non-3600 settings.  Your stuff may run at 3600 so how does that relate to the discussion of Toro running at 3300?

To the Sir, Honourable, Your Highness, Emperor of the Universe Trouts: Sounds like you might be skeert to find out!
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42