Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 16 - 25 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
amazer98

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #16   Dec 25, 2009 10:00 pm
It's interesting that Honda charges so much more for their snowblowers.  I don't quite understand what makes them substantially better than other brands.  My Ariens seems very solidly built and the new B&S SnowMax engine runs strong and smooth.  What more could you ask for?

Certainly Honda doesn't get away with charging big premium bucks for its lawnmowers.  They seem priced on par with brands like Snapper and Toro.  I had a Honda mower for 6 years until last summer.  The drive mechanism seized and the local OPE  (the only one in the area that agreed to do the job) estimated the fix at $300, so I decided to junk the mower.  Not a great testament to enduring quality, though it did perform quite well up to the moment it stopped working.

Anyway, let's say Honda makes good mowers and good snowblowers.  How do they justify or get away with charging almost double the going rate for a blower, while not pulling that stunt with their mowers?
mikiewest

Reply #17   Dec 25, 2009 10:09 pm
Part of the high price is for the "legendary" Honda engine and the hydrostatic transmission as opposed to a simple friction disc setup.
borat

Reply #18   Dec 25, 2009 11:01 pm
mikiewest wrote:
Part of the high price is for the "legendary" Honda engine and the hydrostatic transmission as opposed to a simple friction disc setup.

That's true. Their drive components are more sophisticated. Can't argue with that. Their build quality is top notch and engines are great. But the total package isn't great enough to get me to spend that kind of dough on a snow thrower. If and when my existing Simplicity is no longer up to the task, I may have no choice but to look at a Honda or a Yamaha. The way all the domestics are going, I can see nothing but mediocre machines from them in the future. Until that day, I will make sure the Simplicity is kept in good running condition. Have to agree with AA335 too. As long as there is a market and people are buying Hondas at that price, they'll continue to produce and sell them. I'm glad that people are buying them really. Somebody has to keep them in the snow thrower game. I certainly wouldn't want to see Honda get out of the snow thrower manufacturing business. Down the road, it looks like they might be the last place to go for a top notch machine.
mikiewest

Reply #19   Dec 26, 2009 3:03 pm
AA we r comparing snowblowers.Comparing a sports car to suv's is ridiculous.who cares how many enclaves u can buy for the price of a sports car.If you want to compare similar cars and you just like a Porsche better than a vette even though a vette is cheaper thats understandable.But I have never heard anyone say oh a Honda looks better than a Simplicity or Ariens.The bottom line is Honda is overpriced and overrated.My Simp Pro costs less than a honda 724,lt will last as long,cost less to maintain,easier to operate and kick the snot out of that little machine.It can keep up with a 928 which is really overpriced.
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #20   Dec 26, 2009 3:47 pm
I will put my Honda hs624wa up against you Simplicity next storm if you live local.  I have used all brands and own several Hondas , Ariens, Toro etc.   I like my Ariens 1128dle best but my little Honda 624 will give it a strong run for its money.  Why is it that some people are DIEHARD for the brand they own and against all others?  I like them all.  They all have pros and cons.  Honda is very expensive but worth the price you pay.  You get what you pay for. 
This message was modified Dec 26, 2009 by Knee_Biter

mikiewest

Reply #21   Dec 26, 2009 3:50 pm
yea ok keep spending $$ on overrated products.That 624 cant handle the volume of my blower.Get a real blower and then talk 2 me pal.You'll still be out cleaning while I'm inside sipping some nice warm coffee.24" width ..... ha.
This message was modified Dec 26, 2009 by mikiewest
amazer98

Reply #22   Dec 26, 2009 3:54 pm
Awww.. My Ariens Platinum 24 will have you both sitting in the drift kicking your machines in frustration and sobbing into your hot chocolate  :<)
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #23   Dec 26, 2009 3:56 pm
OK
This message was modified Dec 27, 2009 by Knee_Biter

amazer98

Reply #24   Dec 26, 2009 4:39 pm
OK, now that's a tad obsessive...  not so much that you have 4 blowers, but that you took the time to pose them for a formal portrait!  Now, I gotta ask: how many shovels do you have?
This message was modified Dec 26, 2009 by amazer98
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #25   Dec 26, 2009 4:50 pm
2 Shovels.  Those are only the ones that I took a picture of.

Replies: 16 - 25 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42