Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking at a new Snowblower need help deciding: Ariens vs Simplicity/Snapper

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
btw574

Looking at a new Snowblower need help deciding: Ariens vs Simplicity/Snapper
Original Message   Dec 10, 2009 11:58 pm
Well I am set on buying a new snow blower but I am trying to figure out which one.. I am looking at the new  Ariens Deluxe 27 and last years 27LE. Both are priced the same at the dealer $999

I am also looking at a 08/09  Snapper 1428 or a 08/09 Simplicity 1428 either one $999 as the dealers are willing to match the price of the Ariens. I ruled out the 09/10 machines from them as I am not sure of the motors for the chute rotation. Both these machines have the 305cc Snow MAx engines. I do like having the remote control for pitch  on the machine compared to Ariens not having it, it seems like a mistake by Ariens not to include it on their machines as it seems like a long reach to me to change it on the Ariens

The 08/09 27LE has the Briggs Snow Max 305cc while the 09/10 Deluxe 27" has the Briggs Snow series 250cc motor. Are there any differances between the Snow Max and Snow series engines other than the obvious of one being bigger. Are there any new design improvements to the 09/10 machine over last years model that would make me want to get the 09/10 model.

The Snapper/ Simplicity have cast iron gear boxes while Ariens has an Aluminum gear box. What are the internal differances between the insides of the units.

When you look at the units side by side on the floor its hard to tell any differances in design as far as engineering goes and most salespeople have no clue

What are the strenghts and weakness of these machines.

This message was modified Dec 11, 2009 by btw574
Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
skier1

Re: Looking at a new Snowblower need help deciding: Ariens vs Simplicity/Snapper
Reply #14   Sep 5, 2010 7:37 pm
Simplicity. The heavier chute parts and the like will hold up longer
aa335

Re: Looking at a new Snowblower need help deciding: Ariens vs Simplicity/Snapper
Reply #15   Sep 5, 2010 10:19 pm
Snapper is definitely very low-keyed on their marketing.  After walking into a dealer, I left with the feeling how did Snapper ever sell anything or say anything bad about another brand.  :)

Snapper, Simplicity, and John Deere are nearly identical at this point.  Briggs makes them all.  All three brands are decent quality.  Pick your favorite color.  You have two shades of red (and dark blue stripes), or green and yellow.
This message was modified Sep 5, 2010 by aa335
Targos

Reply #16   Sep 8, 2010 1:46 pm
My MTDs motor blew up, the connecting rod let go.

Then I went the rest of the winter without a blower, tried getting a replacement motor a few times but they never matched up with the machine I had. So I ended up shoveling the last 6 or 10 snowfalls last year a few were pretty large snowfalls 2 to 4 feet of snow. My driveway always seems to accumulate more snow then my neighbors, it must be how the wind blows on my street.

Other then the motor going I had constant trouble with it not being able to throw our heavy snow more then 4 or 5 feet. I live in Newfoundland Canada and we can be blowing snow for 4 to 6 months of the year here.

To be honest I didn't take great care of the machine, I changed the belts every year, oil on it twice a year and used good gas thats all i ever did with it. Last summer I oiled everything up and repainted the rust with a rustcheck spray paint then the motor gives out go figure.

I don't have a shed or garage now so it was stored outdoors under a tarp, I think when I had a shed with the old house it was holding up better. Before I get my new blower I am going to construct a little storage shed just big enough to house the machine.
This message was modified Sep 8, 2010 by Targos
trouts2

Reply #17   Sep 8, 2010 4:57 pm

It would be tough to fault MTD for a Tecumseh broken rod.  Tecumseh makes a great engine.  Finding a good second hand engine for an MTD is tough because of the PTO.   You could have taken the PTO out and used that in another 10hp with your crank cover.  You can swap out the PTO without even draining the oil.  You still have a good body so another engine is still an option.  The wear parts on those are easy to replace and fairly cheap.

An 8hp MTD on an average driveway around here should be good for 15 years at least.   Going after 7 years with changing oil often could have just been bad luck.  You also could be over taxing the engine i.e. going in a bit too aggressively.

Average snowfall for St. Johns is 127 inches.  Boston is 43. 

Your average snowfall for Dec, Nov and Apr is the same as the total per year for Boston.  That makes your Jan, Feb, Mar all in access of what we get here.

You are lifting three times the amount of snow per year than Boston and with drifting even more.  I would not know what to expect from an engine given the conditions. 

>>Other then the motor going I had constant trouble with it not being able to throw heavy

>>snow more then 4 or 5 feet

I don’t have a problem here with MTD’s.  Possibly because of where you are your snow is higher and wetter.  If your machine was setup right, belt tensioning, engine RPM and compression ok then you may just have snow that is too high & to wet more often than here.  If the neighbors are tossing and you are not then there's a problem.  I use about 10 machines a year and many MTD's.  They toss close to any other machine.

>>I don't have a shed or garage

A decent grill cover works very well on a snowblower.  Around here you can get a heavy duty cover with a cloth lining for $10. 

With the amount of snow you get I’d lean towards an Ariens with at least an 11hp for an average size 2 car wide driveway 6 car lengths long.   You might want to consider 14 or 16 inches of impeller diameter, also  auger rotation RPM and impeller RPM.  Ariens is at 130 on the augers and 1300 on the impeller. 

This message was modified Sep 8, 2010 by trouts2
giocam

Reply #18   Sep 26, 2010 5:47 pm
I am having trouble finding much online about Simplicity. Local people around me haven't seemed to even hear of them let alone be able to comment on them.

How do they stack up against Toro and Ariens when it comes to performance and quality/durability?
I am looking at the 1428 large frame model.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #19   Feb 17, 2011 1:19 am
giocam wrote:
I am having trouble finding much online about Simplicity. Local people around me haven't seemed to even hear of them let alone be able to comment on them.

How do they stack up against Toro and Ariens when it comes to performance and quality/durability?
I am looking at the 1428 large frame model.

Same in my situation.  Easy to find Ariens and Toro, but Simplicity?  I think there may be a dealer about 60 or so miles away.  Too bad.  I'd really like to check them out.  I've heard very good comments about Simplicity.  The thing is, you've got to consider the manufacturer's reputation, PLUS ease to getting the blower to and from the dealer for any kind of service.  Add to that the reputation of the dealer!

This message was modified Feb 17, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
borat

Reply #20   Feb 17, 2011 9:15 am
I have a 2006 Simplicity 305cc B&S engine 28".  Excellent machine.   Designed well and built like a tank.   Newer machines may not be as robust.  However, that can also be said about competing brands other than Yamaha and Honda.
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #21   Feb 19, 2011 10:33 am
 I  now use only  Husqvarna snow blowers ,having used others in the past..  Every Husqvarna model is well built and will last longer than  the others.   Ariens also. build a good machine  Most of the others including John Deere are just relabelled models built by MTD or Briggs and Stratton.

pipesbac

Reply #22   Feb 22, 2011 12:41 pm
Stay away from ARIENS. junk. junk machine - read my overview and problems. Not worth any $$$$$. Mark
Targos

Reply #23   Mar 8, 2015 9:57 pm
I purchased the Simplicity 1428 with cast iron gearbox, it has treated me well these past five years. No issues to mention only regular maintenance. They can handle all conditions for sure. It does blow snow really well and is build with a heavy gauge of steel. I have no regrets with the purchase whatsoever :)
Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42