Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Power Clear 210R 38587, 421 Q 38588

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
alicemagooey

Toro Power Clear 210R 38587, 421 Q 38588
Original Message   Nov 23, 2009 12:57 pm
Hello..I think i have read all the other snow blower posts.I could not find the information i was looking for.

Looking for a relatively lightweight, relatively compact snow blower.Not electric..but single stage gas seems like it may be fine for our needs.
please advise, as i have a couple specific questions.

specs and details.( our personal specs)
older operator..needs something easy to use and self propelled and not too heavy or difficult to store.

do not want electric ( tried it..)

am looking at the new Toro Power clear series.
Either the 210R38587or 89..
OR
 421 Q 38588

i cannot find reviews for the power clear which tell me the following information.:
(this is where i need your help)

we have snow falls of about 8-10 inches pretty regularly throughout the winter. I think these above machines will handle that.
*****If anyone has experience with them, advice gratefully will be received.***

MY MAIN QUESTION: can THESE MACHINES also handle snow which the city snow blowers have made into "mountains" at the end of the driveway?
The chutes appear to be about 8 inches tall in these blowers.. at least in the 210R.

We would have to 'run the snow blower straight into the mountain," and let it munch up and chew and blow the snow away from there.

hopefully someone here can help.
many thanks
alice
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Toro Power Clear 210R 38587, 421 Q 38588
Reply #7   Nov 23, 2009 9:16 pm
First I've heard of using mid grade gas. Not sure why. All two stroke engines and four stroke OPE engines that I've owned run fine on regular fuel. As a matter of fact, I also run regular fuel in all of my motorcycles, ATVs, and automobiles. You might want to ask the salesperson why he recommends mid grade fuel.
seabird

Reply #8   Nov 23, 2009 10:32 pm
i'm a big fan of single stage snowblowers and the toros are the way to go, imo, if buying one - i have owned several and they are great machines.  having said this if storage space and time was not an issue i would probably recommend a mid sized 2 stage snowblower in your situation - something like an ariens deluxe 24.  more versitile and able to handle more snow situations.  with a single stage, it will get through the EOD but not w/o having to use a shovel to break up etc and this in itself can be a chore.  with a 2 stage you are getting a machine that has a drive mechanism and able to handle more diffucult snowfalls.
superbuick

Reply #9   Nov 24, 2009 12:18 am
No offense to the guys on this board who also work at OPE shops (and have great knowledge thatt hey share with us) but I've found every sales guy at OPE shops to have extremely poor product knowledge.  There is no reason to use mid grade gas at all - it offers no benefit. 

With regards to solid ice at the end of the driveway, a single stage is not ideal for this.  Icy/slushy snow will be fine, but solid ice - a two stage is better.  Everywhere else I've found the single stage to be a bit faster to work with and clear all the way to the pavement.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #10   Nov 24, 2009 12:49 am
IMO I think the 210R will get damaged with the EOD. Those paddles will probably brake apart with hard iced and compacted EOD.
This message was modified Nov 24, 2009 by hirschallan

aa335

Reply #11   Nov 24, 2009 4:56 pm
superbuick wrote:
No offense to the guys on this board who also work at OPE shops (and have great knowledge thatt hey share with us) but I've found every sales guy at OPE shops to have extremely poor product knowledge.  There is no reason to use mid grade gas at all - it offers no benefit. 

With regards to solid ice at the end of the driveway, a single stage is not ideal for this.  Icy/slushy snow will be fine, but solid ice - a two stage is better.  Everywhere else I've found the single stage to be a bit faster to work with and clear all the way to the pavement.

From my experience, there are some OPE sales guy that are new and don't know their stuff, and some farts that know their stuff but aren't willing to share or educate the average consumer.  They fear that once you're armed with knowledge and made an informed decision, you'll quickly run to Home Depot to save 20 bucks. 
This message was modified Nov 24, 2009 by aa335
clint

Reply #12   Nov 24, 2009 8:35 pm
"IMO I think the 210R will get damaged with the EOD. Those paddles will probably brake apart with hard iced and compacted EOD."
I have never seen a set of Toro paddles destroyed by EOD in my area. (Southern Ontario)
I'm not saying that it has never happened in the history of mankind, but the paddles are pliable and tend too stop when they encounter rocks or ice. They can burn belts, but people generally let go of the bails before that happens.
Steel augers dont fare as well when they take a hit and replacing shear pins can be a pain in the butt that some dont want too deal with. Repairs can get expensive.
EOD is the toughest part of snowblowing. Knowing what you are dealing with will determine how you approach getting rid of it.
Powering thru it is one method, but its not the only way.

WoodyWW

Reply #13   Nov 29, 2009 2:49 pm
MY MAIN QUESTION: can THESE MACHINES also handle snow which the city snow blowers have made into "mountains" at the end of the driveway?

Basically, no. But you also want a lighter machine (which is still 80 lbs. or so) that's easier to store. There's no real way to reconcile those 2 criteria, IMO. The EOD snow/ice mountain can be difficult for  even a 24" 7-8 hp 2 stage snow blower, & they weigh what, 200 lbs roughly? Here in E. Mass., I wind up "chopping" the EOD mass with a metal snow shovel. Then there are big heavy snow/ice "chunks", like small boulders, that I have to pick up & throw off the driveway. I wonder if even the largest 2 stage snow blowers can get thru EOD where it's partly turned to large ice chunks?

Not  saying not to try a single stage, if you can deal with the EOD mess with a shovel. And/Or check out snow plow truck guys in your area; where I am, $30-$40 per blizzard, problem solved, in about 10 minutes......
borat

Reply #14   Nov 29, 2009 4:19 pm
I doubt that there is a consumer grade snow thrower that will process solid chunks of thick ice. Particularly anything over 4" thick. That would be enough to bend the augers, possibly jamb the impeller and block the ejection hole. Two inch thick probably. Three in maybe. Anything over... well.....I have my doubts.
aa335

Reply #15   Nov 30, 2009 10:11 am
Some of the newer two stage snowblowers have serrated auger that is designed to chip away at the ice.  However, ramming this auger into solid ice is puts a lot of stress on the snowblower, which is not designed for this kind of duty on for extended periods.  A snowblower is designed to blow snow, not as a ice grinder. 

However, there are ways to reduce the stress and shock transmitted such as salting and chipping away as much of the ice as you can.  Also, try to clear the EOD pile as soon as you can and not wait for to compact and harden.  From a safety standpoint, I would not want the snowblower to be throwing solid objects such as ice any distance.
This message was modified Nov 30, 2009 by aa335
oldcrow

If it ain't broke, try harder

Reply #16   Jan 17, 2010 9:54 pm
If, as I do, you live in an area that remains snowcovered from late Nov thru late April, you may want to consider giving up some ground to the EOD. I know that's heresy, but hear me out.

EOD sucks, but is it really necessary to remove it with every pass of the snowplow? For me, the answer is no. You don't want a mountain built up, but a small hump is not likely to trap anyone in their driveway. We get a lot of snow here, often for days on end - and it would be a full-time job eliminating EOD. My wife and I both have full-time jobs, and mother nature doesn't always respect our schedules - know what I mean?

Prompt action will help keep EOD under control. But unless you're available 24/7 to do battle, it's impossible to keep a clean apron between you and the street under these conditions. I'm not saying just give up, but consider MANAGING, as opposed to eliminating the problem.

For Example:
If your driveway has little or no slope, a small or moderate EOD hump is unlikely to prevent egress. Likewise, if your drive slopes down toward the street, the same holds true. If your drive slopes UP to the street, that can be a bit trickier - but still managable. The lay of the land is a key factor here, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Once a mini glacier establishes itself beneath the snow, I tend to co-exist with it. Not once have I become hung up in EOD while backing out - and that's without using 4WD. The secret is to keep the powder cleaned off so the sun can harden and flatten it over time (like an ice road). That's not too difficult, even if you can't get to it after every snowfall (which can be every day for two weeks). I've been through it all, folks - the shingle scrapers, the splitting mauls, everything short of a jackhammer. Soon as you're finished, that SOB in the plow truck comes around and starts the whole cycle over again. Rather than raise my blood pressure, I've chosen to accept EOD as a fact of life. All about shades of grey, my friends.

If you get to the plow pilings promply after each heavy snowfall, that's usually enough to keep the hump under control. For this purpose, either of the Toro models you mentioned should work just fine. I use the 421Q, and it hasn't let me down yet. I wouldn't buy a two-stage model, unless you anticipate non-EOD depths of 20+ inches on a regular basis. Even the big boys have trouble with solid EOD.
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42