Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Removing the impeller from a Giant Vac leaf blower with a Briggs 11 hp 1" shaft engine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Underdog

Removing the impeller from a Giant Vac leaf blower with a Briggs 11 hp 1" shaft engine
Original Message   Oct 4, 2009 11:06 am
I was going to remove the impeller from this Giant Vac leaf blower. The engine though a rod and instead of tossing it in the "metal pile" at the dump I was going to replace the engine with a used on I had laying around (from a busted post hole digging earth auger). I searched the board and didn't come up with anything specific to this make. It does have a key that I can see. I'm still searching through the manufacturer's web site for instructions. I have it soaking in some BP blaster.
Anyone ever taken one of these impellers off briggs engine shaft (1").

Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
markejo

Re: Removing the impeller from a Giant Vac leaf blower with a Briggs 11 hp 1" shaft engine
Reply #4   Nov 13, 2009 5:31 pm
This is probably a dumb question, but could you clarify the pictures included in your post?

The pictures show 5 holes in the "top cap", 2 that appear to be threaded and 3 that are not.

The first two pictures in your post appear to show the bolt inserted through one of the non-threaded holes in the "top cap." If your impeller is like mine, the 3 non-threaded holes in the "top cap" line-up with threaded holes in the actual impeller.

The last picture in your post (the one that shows the impeller loosen from the shaft) shows two bolts that appear to be threaded into the "top cap" to force the impeller off.

Can you clarify if the bolts where threaded into the "top cap," or through the "cap" and into the holes in the actual impeller. Your assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
Underdog

Re: Removing the impeller from a Giant Vac leaf blower with a Briggs 11 hp 1" shaft engine
Reply #5   Nov 13, 2009 8:15 pm
markejo wrote:
This is probably a dumb question, but could you clarify the pictures included in your post?<BR><BR>The pictures show 5 holes in the &quot;top cap&quot;, 2 that appear to be threaded and 3 that are not. <BR><BR>The first two pictures in your post appear to show the bolt inserted through one of the non-threaded holes in the &quot;top cap.&quot; If your impeller is like mine, the 3 non-threaded holes in the &quot;top cap&quot; line-up with threaded holes in the actual impeller.<BR><BR>The last picture in your post (the one that shows the impeller loosen from the shaft) shows two bolts that appear to be threaded into the &quot;top cap&quot; to force the impeller off. <BR><BR>Can you clarify if the bolts where threaded into the &quot;top cap,&quot; or through the &quot;cap&quot; and into the holes in the actual impeller. Your assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
Sure. The bolts were not threaded into the top cap when they are being attached to the impeller. The threaded holes in the "TOP CAP" are only there to screw the bolts (once removed) into the topcap to exert a force and push the "top cap" off of the impeller. The three long bolts also have lock washers.
I have removed other impellers and this design is ingeniuos (in my opinion). By contrast, a Billy Goat blower impeller can be a bear to remove, and a Little Wonder impeller (once removed) will probably not fit any stock engine. Not that these other blowers aren't great machines.

Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42