Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicty 1224e, 1226e, or P1524e

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cuzzinolaf

Simplicty 1224e, 1226e, or P1524e
Original Message   Oct 14, 2009 11:02 pm
I can't figure out which model to get. My local dealer doesn't have the L1428e (the one I want) and doesn't think he can get anymore this season since he sold a bunch already. He has the three I mentioned above in stock. I like the idea of the bigger 13.5 Snow Max engine in the Signature Series. I like the Sig Series one because of the features and the Easy Turn steering. My fiancee might have to use it if I'm away and I'm traveling. I also like the construction of it but the $600 increase from the 1226 is hard to justify. Is the Easy Turn good for turning in both direction or just one. Is there a big enough difference in power between the Snow Max 13.50 and the Snow Series 11.50?

I'm not sure I want the 1226 because it has the 11.50 engine. I currently don't need anything bigger but hope to buy a house with a larger driveway in the future. I'm wondering if she could handled the the size of the 1226 if needed?

And lastly, the 1224 would definitely work for what I need now.  I'm not sure if it would work in the future but I could always sell it and get what was needed. It is appealing because of the price and that it has the same size engine as the 1226. I don't mind the manual chute control but wish it had the remote deflector.

Can anyone help me decide? This forum has been a huge help and led me to Simplicity. Now I just need to figure out which one is best and which one I actually need.
Replies: 4 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cuzzinolaf

Re: Simplicty 1224e, 1226e, or P1524e
Reply #4   Oct 15, 2009 2:43 pm
Thanks for the feedback.

I went and looked at the Snappers during lunch and wasn't impressed at all for something that is supposed to be the same machine. I looked at the Deeres again this morning and they seem in sync with the Simplicity.

Another thing that I can't decide on is the engine size. We don't get feet of snow often like some in NY or in Northern WI on here. We do get the occasional 1 footers and more. Is the 11.50 torque adequate or should I really look for the 13.50 or even the Snow Series Max? I'd rather have too much than too little and was wondering what some thought about the the difference in power IF I don't get a 1428.

Also, does the L1428e have the electric chute control? I just found a dealer with one and he said his doesn't. On their website it lists all the Large Frame models with it.
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by cuzzinolaf
borat

Reply #5   Oct 15, 2009 4:35 pm
Go for the power. Try to get something with the 305cc engine. It's listed as being anything from 9 to 11 h.p. Which I find amusing. I did a parts number comparison between a 9 h.p. and an 11 h.p. engine. Every comparable part on each engine shared the identical number. So, either all of the engines are 9 h.p. or 11 h.p. I've owned a couple of 10 h.p. Tecumseh engines on two previous Craftsman snow throwers. Considering the performance of my Simplicity compared to the 10 h.p. engines, I'd say it's leaning toward 11 h.p. rather than 9.
mikiewest

Reply #6   Oct 15, 2009 6:32 pm
Cuzz thats a left over model.All of the new ones have the elec chute.Try to get the price down and get the manual chute rotator.I have a simp pro w/the manual chute rotator.I got a $100 off the price in the middle of the winter.It was sitting to an identical model w/the elec chute rotator.I prefer a simple machine with less of a chance of breaking down when I need it most.
snowgo

Reply #7   Oct 15, 2009 7:09 pm
I just got back from checking out another snow blower. This time it was a Snapper 1428 ... which I thought was supposed to be almost identical to the Simplicity 1428. I had looked at a Snapper 1428 at another dealer last week and it sure didn't look the same as the one I saw today. This one had a manual chute control whereas the one I saw last week had an electric chute control. What's up with that???

Also for what it's worth, I asked today's dealer his thoughts on electric chute controls. He told me that he used to carry some MTD models a few years ago that had that feature and they were nothing but trouble ... so he doesn't carry them anymore. He said that moisture would get inside where the wiring was and create all kinds of problems.

I tell ya, shopping for a snow blower can be very confusing!

(By the way, I don't mean to dissuade anybody from buying the Simplicity 1428, but since I just heard this today [from a store owner no less], I thought it might be good info to pass along. I really don't know how much "weight" to put into the dealer's comments. I'm hoping the knowledgeable people here can help sort through this).
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by snowgo
jack

Reply #8   Nov 8, 2009 6:36 pm
go with the I1224E. according to a dealer i know, he says same engine, lighter machine. i'm gonna buy one 850.00.
This message was modified Nov 9, 2009 by jack
Summerwinds

Simplicity 924i, Toro 3650

Reply #9   Nov 12, 2009 6:38 pm
My advice is to stay away from the electric chute rotator and go with the manual. Electricity and water don't mix. Frankly I think it is a little silly to have a "Joystick" control on a snow blower. Remember that snowblowers are used in the worst of conditions and frigid temperatures, blowing snow and ice are bound to freeze up an electric chute rotator. When buying s snowblower it's best to keep things simple and avoid the frills.
borat

Reply #10   Nov 12, 2009 6:53 pm
Summerwinds wrote:
My advice is to stay away from the electric chute rotator and go with the manual. Electricity and water don't mix. Frankly I think it is a little silly to have a "Joystick" control on a snow blower. Remember that snowblowers are used in the worst of conditions and frigid temperatures, blowing snow and ice are bound to freeze up an electric chute rotator. When buying s snowblower it's best to keep things simple and avoid the frills.

Making waaaaaaay too much sense.
jack

Reply #11   Nov 15, 2009 3:48 pm
so what not to like on the L1224E same engine as 1226 lighter and easier to menuver about 8 hp which should be strong enough for any job. real good price so why spend more and get the job done with this model at hundreds less. simplicity quality.
Replies: 4 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42