Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 22 Inch 20071 Fuel Tank Leak

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
markd98422

Toro 22 Inch 20071 Fuel Tank Leak
Original Message   Jul 14, 2009 3:50 pm
My 2007 model has developed a leak in the fuel tank.  It seems to be a crack where the tank seam is.  Anyone else having the same problem?  This problem has cropped up before with Toro.  The engine is produced by Tecumseh and Toro says it is a Tecumseh problem.  Seems Tecumseh has sold their power engine division to a company called Certified Parts.  All I get is the runaround from both companies.  The fuel tank is on back-order which leads me to think that others are having the same problem.  The mower has been sitting in the repair shop since mid-May and it is going nowhere fast.

I recommend any others with the same problem to start contacting Toro to get them off their butts.  Also, contact the Consumer Products Safety Commission to report the problem.  A recall may be in order if this problem is wide spread.

Thanks Everyone

Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
clint

Re: Toro 22 Inch 20071 Fuel Tank Leak
Reply #1   Jul 14, 2009 6:47 pm
Mark.
Tanks splitting on Tecumseh LV195EA engines isnt a common problem.
Briggs has had the seam splitting problem for the last 20 years and at one time did a have recall and continue too replace tanks under warranty.
With your machine being a 2007 model (2 years old) neither Toro or Tecumseh should have a problem replacing the tank.......If they can get one.
There is not much anybody can do if the tank is on back order.
Dealer distributors have been pretty good about filling Tecumseh parts orders on the commonly used parts. Less commonly ordered parts (like fuel tanks) may be harder too get.
There should be plenty of those tanks (37947) in the junkyards. If you need the machine, that might be an alternative?

friiy

Reply #2   Jul 15, 2009 1:52 am
Back in 1990 or so.... Briggs had a recall with 5 hp Quantum fuel tanks with a leaky fuel valve....

All were recalled, one out of 4 was made with plastic valve mounting area too thin due to a batch of bad tank molds.. It cost Briggs XXX milions to recall and pay dealer to replace them.... I use to keep the extra stickers that came with the tanks (I had two inches of stickers after 1 year)....

Friiy
borat

Reply #3   Jul 21, 2009 7:24 pm
If a replacement tank will not be readily available, why not fix the defective unit? I'd report the problem to the dealer, have them order a replacement tank if available then try to repair the old one. If the old one can be permanently repaired, job done. If not, I'd jury rig something that would do the job rather than wait for ever for something that might never arrive.
mkfarnam

Reply #4   Jul 27, 2009 12:13 am
Tecumseh has been out of business for over 5 years now.
This message was modified Jul 27, 2009 by mkfarnam

drhayes

Reply #5   Aug 31, 2009 9:17 am
I just developed the same problem. I did find the part available online (almost 30$ when you include shipping and taxes!). I did a quick patch using a fuel patch epoxy / fiberglass cloth (10$) from local auto parts. Still leaking a little bit, so glad the part has been ordered. Looking for a diagram showing how the motor is assembled so I can refer to it when I am installing the new part. Did not chase the warranty. I don't have the time to spend on that rabbit chase.
fiosfiend

Reply #6   Aug 31, 2009 2:51 pm
I have had this happen to TWO tanks on the same mower now.  Frankly I think this gas tank is a pretty crappy design.  I mean really, how hard is it to make a one piece gas tank for this size mower??  My first tank ruptured within two months of purchase and was replaced under warranty and now it's happened again in less then two years.  I emailed Toro about the situation and they completely blew me off.  I have to believe that this is not an uncommon problem with this model yet they refuse to even discuss the issue.  Pretty lousy customer support if you ask me.
mccancd

Reply #7   Sep 13, 2009 7:56 am
I have a Toro 22 inch mower with the same problem.  It developed shortly after I purchased the mower.  I contacted Toro, but got no response from them.  The leak appears to be around the tank seam, so I filled the mower only part way to avoid having the gas reach the seam.  This worked while the leak was minimal, but the seam continues to get worse.  I may try to patch the tank somehow; it appears that I have not been the only person with the problem; nor the only person that Toro has ignored.  I will not purchase another Toro product.

I would  be willing to join a class action against Toro if this problem is widespread.

mccancd

Reply #8   Sep 13, 2009 7:56 am
I have a Toro 22 inch mower with the same problem.  It developed shortly after I purchased the mower.  I contacted Toro, but got no response from them.  The leak appears to be around the tank seam, so I filled the mower only part way to avoid having the gas reach the seam.  This worked while the leak was minimal, but the seam continues to get worse.  I may try to patch the tank somehow; it appears that I have not been the only person with the problem; nor the only person that Toro has ignored.  I will not purchase another Toro product.

I would  be willing to join a class action against Toro if this problem is widespread.

shebeto7

Reply #9   Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm
My 2007 model also developed a leak around the tank seam.  I ordered another and replaced and now less than a year later, the second tank has developed the same crack around the tank seam.  Conveniently, Toro claims ignorance on the issue and says to contact a local service provider.  I contacted one here in Austin, TX and was told the tanks are on back order and that they had 50 something request for the tanks. 
borat

Reply #10   Mar 17, 2010 10:17 pm
You can try to repair the tank using JB Weld. 

Take the tank off, drain all the fuel from it.  Try to pry open the leaking area of the seam and put some JB Weld in the crack.

If that's not possible, you can try heating the seam with a soldering tool  or open flame to plastic weld it together.   Be very careful of the possibility of gasoline vapour ignition.  Probably best to purge the tank with hot water and allow it to dry before introducing open flame to it. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42