Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Gas string trimmer tune-up.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

Gas string trimmer tune-up.
Original Message   Mar 23, 2009 3:51 pm
Spring is almost here, and we been getting quite a few 60F plus days.  While waiting for the last snow storm/blizzard to arrive before preparing the snowblower for summer and fall hibernation, I thought I get in the spring cleaning mode and get my lawn equipment up and running. 

Besides getting new fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter, and a new spark plug, what is the proper way to service a diaphram carburetor?  What's involved?

Also, I need a new bump feed head.  Any recommendations on the quick and easy loading heads from Stihl, Shindaiwa-Echo brands?

This message was modified Mar 23, 2009 by aa335
Replies: 5 - 14 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Gas string trimmer tune-up.
Reply #5   Mar 24, 2009 1:16 pm
aa335:

You're obviously on the right track changing fuel lines/filters that need it.  If the carb is working fine, don't mess with it.   Chances are that it's not in that much of a need for dis-assembly to clean it.  A season of using Seafoam will take care of that. 

I used to use Stabil up until a few years ago when I found a bottle in my garage that had turned to a gel.  It wasn't even a year old.  Ever since then, it's been Seafoam all the way.   I went on an engine tune up/cleaning spree a couple of years ago.  All two stroke engines in a couple of chain saws, brush cutters, outboard motors and a four stroke lawn mower.   The effects of additives such as Seafoam etc. are difficult to measure.  I have found through experience that often, there will be no change in the engine's performance.  Understandable if the engine is well maintained and in good running order.  However, I did notice a considerable improvement in a 25 year old  Tecumseh two cycle engine on a Jiffy ice auger.  It had not seen much use and when I fired it up, it wouldn't rev out well, and overall ran poorly.  I put a full oz. of Seafoam into half a quart of fuel and ran that through the engine for a while.  It smoked quite a bit for a while, coughed and sputtered as per how it was running.  After three or four minutes, it began to smooth out and within five minutes, it was running like new.  That confirmed to me that the Seafoam actually works.  Now I run a bit of it each year through all of my engines.   I use a bit of a stronger mixture in my two cycle mixed fuel just to keep fuel systems in good shape.  It also works well for taking water out of fuel.   I run it in my car, truck, and eight motorcycle engines from my six cylinder liquid cooled Valkyrie to my single cylinder two stroke dirt bike.  Not saying that it's just because of the Seafoam but everything is running top notch.    

aa335

Reply #6   Mar 24, 2009 4:23 pm
borat wrote:
aa335:

You're obviously on the right track changing fuel lines/filters that need it.  If the carb is working fine, don't mess with it.   Chances are that it's not in that much of a need for dis-assembly to clean it.  A season of using Seafoam will take care of that. 

I used to use Stabil up until a few years ago when I found a bottle in my garage that had turned to a gel.  It wasn't even a year old.  Ever since then, it's been Seafoam all the way.   I went on an engine tune up/cleaning spree a couple of years ago.  All two stroke engines in a couple of chain saws, brush cutters, outboard motors and a four stroke lawn mower.   The effects of additives such as Seafoam etc. are difficult to measure.  I have found through experience that often, there will be no change in the engine's performance.  Understandable if the engine is well maintained and in good running order.  However, I did notice a considerable improvement in a 25 year old  Tecumseh two cycle engine on a Jiffy ice auger.  It had not seen much use and when I fired it up, it wouldn't rev out well, and overall ran poorly.  I put a full oz. of Seafoam into half a quart of fuel and ran that through the engine for a while.  It smoked quite a bit for a while, coughed and sputtered as per how it was running.  After three or four minutes, it began to smooth out and within five minutes, it was running like new.  That confirmed to me that the Seafoam actually works.  Now I run a bit of it each year through all of my engines.   I use a bit of a stronger mixture in my two cycle mixed fuel just to keep fuel systems in good shape.  It also works well for taking water out of fuel.   I run it in my car, truck, and eight motorcycle engines from my six cylinder liquid cooled Valkyrie to my single cylinder two stroke dirt bike.  Not saying that it's just because of the Seafoam but everything is running top notch.    

Sounds like a good practice for preventative maintenance on OPE.  I would use SeaFoam periodically on the string trimmer since the diaphram carb is a polymer.  I don't want to quickly deteriorate it by using too much of cleaners of any kind.  You are correct, a well maintained and good running engine does not see much improvement in performance since fuel additives are not power boosters.

I'm hesitant to use SeaFoam in my car though.  There is so much emission control and computers that it may throw a diagnostic code.  I don't tinker with new car engines with OBD-2 since it is beyond my knowledge. 

JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #7   Mar 24, 2009 5:57 pm
I treated a 02 VW Golf with a gas engine. The car had about 150 000 km on it. I did the gas tank, air breather and brake booster. Smoked a lot. I tend to drive like an old man suffering from motion sickness, so my car was gunked up. I was amazed. Not a subtle increase in this and that, the engine ran like it did the day I bought it. I was skeptical about sensors and everything, but I never had a problem.

I don't know why more people don't use it.

Contents under pressure....
borat

Reply #8   Mar 24, 2009 6:41 pm
aa335 wrote:
Sounds like a good practice for preventative maintenance on OPE.  I would use SeaFoam periodically on the string trimmer since the diaphram carb is a polymer.  I don't want to quickly deteriorate it by using too much of cleaners of any kind.  You are correct, a well maintained and good running engine does not see much improvement in performance since fuel additives are not power boosters.

I'm hesitant to use SeaFoam in my car though.  There is so much emission control and computers that it may throw a diagnostic code.  I don't tinker with new car engines with OBD-2 since it is beyond my knowledge. 

If you read the instructions on the can, I believe it states that is "oxygen sensor" safe.   I wouldn't worry about the polymer diaphragms either.   The mix ratio is pretty low. 

Seafoam has been around for a long time.  It's been a well kept secret and is not as readily available as Stabil.  Do a little research on it.  You'll be surprised how many people swear by it.

borat

Reply #9   Mar 24, 2009 6:42 pm
JohnnyBoyUpNorth wrote:
I treated a 02 VW Golf with a gas engine. The car had about 150 000 km on it. I did the gas tank, air breather and brake booster. Smoked a lot. I tend to drive like an old man suffering from motion sickness, so my car was gunked up. I was amazed. Not a subtle increase in this and that, the engine ran like it did the day I bought it. I was skeptical about sensors and everything, but I never had a problem.

How long have you been using Seafoam Johnny?
aa335

Reply #10   Mar 24, 2009 8:30 pm
JohnnyBoyUpNorth wrote:

Never had a problem with carbon build up on my car.  I let her breathe all the way to redline and stretch her legs daily.
aa335

Reply #11   Mar 24, 2009 8:32 pm
borat wrote:
If you read the instructions on the can, I believe it states that is "oxygen sensor" safe.   I wouldn't worry about the polymer diaphragms either.   The mix ratio is pretty low. 

Seafoam has been around for a long time.  It's been a well kept secret and is not as readily available as Stabil.  Do a little research on it.  You'll be surprised how many people swear by it.

Yes, I did caught the oxygen sensor safe part.  I'm a little cautious since the car has more sensors than I know about.
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #12   Mar 24, 2009 8:36 pm
I started using it when I was about 12 years old with model airplanes, so that would be about 23 years. I use it mostly as a penetrant. For this purpose it almost works too well; I've seen it loosen up punky welds when they were warmed up with a torch.

I've used it as a cleaner for my old ATV prior to opening the engine case and I've seen the before/after with it. It cleans so well that I am scared to run fresh oil in my engine after using it. I'll have some sacrificial cheapo oil to run an hour, then drain/fill again with the good stuff.

I always keep a stockpile of three or four cans. My opinion and vote is worth as much as any man's, and I swear by this liquid.

aa335

Reply #13   Mar 24, 2009 8:48 pm
JohnnyBoyUpNorth wrote:
I started using it when I was about 12 years old with model airplanes, so that would be about 23 years. I use it mostly as a penetrant. For this purpose it almost works too well; I've seen it loosen up punky welds when they were warmed up with a torch.

I have a glow plug .21 engine which hasn't been run for a while.  The inside may be gunked up a bit.  Do you think I can use SeaFoam on it?  I got too many things to do at this point to take apart the head and clean out the crankcase.
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #14   Mar 25, 2009 5:18 am
It's been a while, but I used to soak the whole engine in Seafoam. I'd take the fuel lines off, and turn the engine to bottom dead center.

It should work just fine. Scrape it as best you can, then fire it up. You might want to have a spare glow plug handy.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42