Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
heyyip

Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Original Message   Apr 5, 2007 11:00 am
I bought this machine because I needed a rugged machine that would last me. I would rather purchase a "Tim Taylor" machine rather than fuss with an inferior one. This beast has 13hp, 36" wide, locking diff, heated hand grips, light, elec start, ect.... I have a 100 foot paved driveway. It has snowed 4 times since I purchased it, and it has broke down on me 3 times.  everything from a factory recall that i wasnt notified of, so it burned belts (4)!!, to nuts & bolts falling out, chute breaking, auger stops turning, wheels stop driving, etc.... The dealer has a special place for it in his shop that they dont fill when it is at my place. I believe this machine would last forever,  if i dont use it. The dealer stood behind me 100% when I told them enough is enough I wanted something done, money back, or a replacement. Now it has snowed today, 20", I have a bad back and have to shovel while the ariens company sits on my $3000.00. Anybody else have this problem?
Replies: 76 - 85 of 113Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
terrier

Re: Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Reply #76   Mar 10, 2009 5:28 pm
You would seem to imply that I may be some type of representative for one of the domestic car manufacturers. I'm not. I do however own several businesses that have no relation at all to automobiles. I notice that you were totally unable to respond logically to my comments regarding toyota recalls and rusted out 1995 to 2000 pickups. You don't seem to be interested in verifying any of your prejudices or in discovering that the body of your pickup may fall off the frame. Numerous instances of this happening. Toyota admits these trucks are so dangerous that toyota will buy them back if necessary. In toyota's favour, this is an extremely responsible course of action for them to take. You might try selling your potentially dangerous pickup back to toyota.
My Ariens 9526DLE is still working flawlessly, during it's second season. I did have an issue with the machine spitting snow forward on occasion. Phoned the dealer, I was supplied with a baffle that simply bolted on in about a minute. There was no charge from either the dealer or Ariens for this. Dealer got baffle to me in about 3 days. Excellent company, excellent dealer.
borat

Reply #77   Mar 10, 2009 6:47 pm
terrier wrote:
You would seem to imply that I may be some type of representative for one of the domestic car manufacturers. I'm not. I do however own several businesses that have no relation at all to automobiles. I notice that you were totally unable to respond logically to my comments regarding toyota recalls and rusted out 1995 to 2000 pickups. You don't seem to be interested in verifying any of your prejudices or in discovering that the body of your pickup may fall off the frame. Numerous instances of this happening. Toyota admits these trucks are so dangerous that toyota will buy them back if necessary. In toyota's favour, this is an extremely responsible course of action for them to take. You might try selling your potentially dangerous pickup back to toyota.
My Ariens 9526DLE is still working flawlessly, during it's second season. I did have an issue with the machine spitting snow forward on occasion. Phoned the dealer, I was supplied with a baffle that simply bolted on in about a minute. There was no charge from either the dealer or Ariens for this. Dealer got baffle to me in about 3 days. Excellent company, excellent dealer.

I didn't respond to your comments because I'm not familiar with what you've said nor have I heard elsewhere of your claims.     Is there a possibility that the Toyota models you're referring to were built in the USA or Canada?  I'm pleased to announce that mine was built in Japan.  I made damned sure of that when I bought it.   By the way, the body on my Toyota is as sound as a new truck and probably stronger that what's available today.

Speaking of not responding to queries, I don't recall your response to my question concerning why the domestic auto manufacturers have been losing market share for the last thirty years and virtually unable to sell enough cars in the last five years to stay viable.  Willing to comment on that?  

Glad to hear you like your Ariens.  We'll be here to assist you when you need guidance for inevitable  future issues.

Paul7

Reply #78   Mar 11, 2009 12:49 am
borat wrote:

If you can think of another reason consumers  are buying Asian vehicles in preference to domestics, I'd be interested in hearing it,

Borat I think that a "part" of the reason has to do with a very poor marketing strategy on the part of companies like GM.   Unlike Toyota and Honda, who are focused on building brand loyalty, GM seems to be more interested in launching a new model every 4-5 years. 

For example Toyota came out with the Camray in 1983 and that model continues to flourish today.  By contrast in 1983 I bought a Chevrolet Citation (mid sized family car).  Chevrolet made the Citation from 1980 to 1985.  Then they replaced it with the Chevy Celebrity which was produced until 1989 when it was replaced by the Lumina, which was subsequently replaced by the Impala.  

Detroit strategy to launch a new model every few years makes brand loyalty impossibility.  I loved my Chevy Citation but it's hard to be a repeat customer or recommend a model that’s out of production.  Toyota's strategy was to stay committed to the Camary model and simply keep making it better. Obviously someone that bought a Toyota Camary in 1983 and loved it can still be a repeat buyer and a brand advocate today. 

borat

Reply #79   Mar 11, 2009 10:14 am
This message was modified Mar 11, 2009 by borat
nhmatt

Reply #80   Mar 15, 2009 8:50 pm
I chewed up a gutter downspout with my Honda, but had to stop and unwind a set of Chrismas lights that got tangled in the auger.  Wire is strong.  I also chewed up 2" chunks of solid ice and spit them over 40', so I don't think the augers are flimsy but I'll let you know if I break one.  I also chewed up a plastic snow shovel,  it bit the handle into 3" dowels, but choked on the large plastic blade and I had to stop and chew it  out with a sawzall. 

Why was I hitting all this stuff?  Because the trac model digs down, and doesn't ride on top like the Ariens.  Tracks don't ride up over snowbanks, and Ariens is famous for it so I don't believe that point either.   I don't like the Honda because I like Honda.  I like what works.  Period.   I'm sure the Ariens would work for someone who is just blowing a path or whatever.   But 3 grand?  Sorry.  Overpriced for what you get and I hope you like working on them because they shake themselves apart like an old Harley.

This message was modified Mar 18, 2009 by nhmatt
terrier

Reply #81   Mar 16, 2009 5:35 pm
NHMatt:
My two year old Ariens 9526 DLE simply has not had ANY of the problems or issues you you are so keen to describe at length. I buy new snowblowers every few years because it pleases me to do so. The last three have been Ariens of various sizes and horsepower, kept on average three years. Essentially no problems with any of them. Obviously your experience has been different. I truly hated my Honda 928 for five years until I couldn't stand it any more. COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE PIECE OF CRAP, JUNK WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT. Different people buy different snowblowers based on their perceived need. You obviously have a real, meaningful relationship with your Honda. Whatever turns you on. My Honda 928 didn't do all the remarkable things yours does. It was simply NOT a good machine, tool, whatever you want to call it. You seem to really enjoy, appreciate, like your Honda snowblower. That's good. If you're into machinery, it's good to own and use a machine that does the job for you. Like you, I totally don't care about the brand of snowblower that I own/use. Maybe next time I'll try a differnt brand, who knows?
borat

Reply #82   Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm
terrier wrote:
NHMatt:
My two year old Ariens 9526 DLE simply has not had ANY of the problems or issues you you are so keen to describe at length. I buy new snowblowers every few years because it pleases me to do so. The last three have been Ariens of various sizes and horsepower, kept on average three years. Essentially no problems with any of them. Obviously your experience has been different. I truly hated my Honda 928 for five years until I couldn't stand it any more. COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE PIECE OF CRAP, JUNK WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT. Different people buy different snowblowers based on their perceived need. You obviously have a real, meaningful relationship with your Honda. Whatever turns you on. My Honda 928 didn't do all the remarkable things yours does. It was simply NOT a good machine, tool, whatever you want to call it. You seem to really enjoy, appreciate, like your Honda snowblower. That's good. If you're into machinery, it's good to own and use a machine that does the job for you. Like you, I totally don't care about the brand of snowblower that I own/use. Maybe next time I'll try a differnt brand, who knows?

I'm a little perplexed with your comment about replacing your machine every three years because it pleases you to do so.   It's obviously apparent that economics plays no part in your decision making process.  Virtually any machine will last three years and perform more than adequately.  Replacing an Ariens every three years sounds like a bit of an expensive habit.  Not that I'm questioning your decision to do so.  It's your money.  I prefer to buy one hight quality machine, take care of it and run it for ten years or longer.  The thousand plus that I'm not spending on newer snow throwers in that duration buys me other things to enjoy.  I would wager  that 90% of the participant of this forum are long term owners and would rather have one good machine for many years rather than turning them over every three years.  It is an unusual concept.  I heard of it for leasing cars.  Never snow throwers though.   Glad it works for you.   
aa335

Reply #83   Mar 17, 2009 11:17 pm
terrier wrote:
NHMatt:

I'm actually surprised that the Honda 928 which was disliked so much was the one snowblower that was kept the longest (5 years versus 3 years average for the Ariens).  Maybe it's the tracks that doesn't work for you.  The Honda could have sold after 1 year and would not lose much money since they have good resale.  Why keep it around for so long?

On the other hand, a newer (and better?) Ariens was bought on average every 3 years.  Snowblowers don't change that much in the last 10 years, maybe a few more plastic components, more powerful engines, and few more creature comforts such as electric remote chutes and grip warmers.  I'm just trying to understand your logic, that's all.  But it's your money. 

This message was modified Mar 18, 2009 by aa335
aa335

Reply #84   Mar 17, 2009 11:34 pm
borat wrote:
I'll tell you what aa335, I know plenty of guys who switched to Tacomas.  Every one, to a man, said it was the best move they've made.  Considering the number of people employed in the N.A. vehicle manufacturing sector, you can rest assured that there will be representatives participating in the forums.  It is unlikely they would present a case for the competition.  If you have any concerns regarding vehicle quality, get yourself a copy of Consumer Reports Magazine and compare the repair records for whatever you're thinking of buying.  I'm certain that you're astute enough to do your research and analyze your results to make the best choice.  Let us know how it goes.    

From recently and limited exposure, either on forums or publications, the Tacoma is an excellent truck.  With a few exception to the "big 3" fans off-brand bashing without substantial evidence, I consider those are outliers data points, noted for completeness, but are statistically ignored.

At this point, I'm considering whether I really need a truck or a AWD SUV (read tall wagon) would suffice. 

This message was modified Mar 18, 2009 by aa335
nhmatt

Reply #85   Mar 18, 2009 7:38 pm
terrier wrote:
NHMatt:

You're just jealous.  Jealous of the love my Honda snowblower and I share.  What we have together is special.  You WISH you were so happy with yours, which is why you seem so keen on trading them in every 3 years for the newest floosy.  I bet another piece of equipment broke your heart and that's why you won't commit.  Was it a fickle weed wacker?  A jealous and tempermental leaf blower that tossed you down this jaded path?  I don't want to know.  So you buy one every three years because it pleases you?   Whatever turns YOU on buddy, but I'd say I'm like most people who'd rather give money to a dentist than spend money on something you already have.   Also, you have yet to explain why you didn't like the Honda.  Not one example, just a blanket statement "big piece of crap!" is supposed to persuade.  Didn't "work" for you?  You sure you read the instruction manual?

Replies: 76 - 85 of 113Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42