Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 826 vs Yamaha YS624

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
giovanni

Toro 826 vs Yamaha YS624
Original Message   Feb 11, 2009 10:10 am
Hello....

I have just found this forum and would like to ask a question. I have tried to do some comparison on-line between these two machines. But I feel it is always better to ask the more experienced directly!

I have a Toro 826 that dates back to around the early 1980's. It is in pretty good condition for its age, and has served me well. Lately, it has not been throwing snow like it used to. Especially the heavy stuff. I am guesing that it needs new belts.

I have come across someone who is looking to get rid of his Yamaha YS624. He swares by its performance. He is an elderly man and can no longer use it. It dates back to the early 90's. I have seen his machine working but have not used it. It does seem like a strong machine.

I have an opportunity to take it from him at a very reasonable price.
My question is this. Is it worth me taking the Yamaha off his hands, and then selling my Toro? Or, should I be looking at investing the money into new belts for my Toro?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
longboat

Re: Toro 826 vs Yamaha YS624
Reply #1   Feb 11, 2009 10:54 am
Yamaha made great snowblowers, similar to Honda.  I would rate them above Toro.

The problem is that Yamaha no longer sells snowblowers here in the USA.  Therefore, finding parts may be a problem.  Check around with some local OPE dealers to see if they will service the Yamaha and if they can get parts for it.  If so, then go for it.  If not, then let us know where this Yamaha is so that one of us can buy it.

p.s. - if your Toro doesn't throw snow any better after a belt change, you might check out the Clarence Impeller Kit.

giovanni

Reply #2   Feb 11, 2009 12:40 pm
Thanks for the responswe!

Can you please clarify on what kit you are talking about? I am not familiar with it.
JeffM

Reply #3   Feb 11, 2009 8:06 pm
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/reviews/355-0-1.html
Underdog

Reply #4   Feb 11, 2009 9:19 pm
The YS624 is probably a 6hp.  so I'm not sure if it could keep up with an 8hp Toro.  Still you can never have enough snowblowers and those  Yamahas are something  worth trying out  (especially if the price is right) If you find its not for you just sell it.  You can easily find someone to take it off your hands.

This message was modified Feb 11, 2009 by Underdog

aa335

Reply #5   Feb 11, 2009 10:13 pm
Underdog wrote:
The YS624 is probably a 6hp.  so I'm not sure if it could keep up with an 8hp Toro.  Still you can never have enough snowblowers and those  Yamahas are something  worth trying out  (especially if the price is right) If you find its not for you just sell it.  You can easily find someone to take it off your hands. 

That's a nice condition Yammy.  I like the location of the chute crank, not having to bend down to turn it. 

How do those black bucket extension work for you?  I'm seeing them in the Canadian Honda models, but not for the US market.

Underdog

Reply #6   Feb 13, 2009 7:16 pm
aa335 wrote:
That's a nice condition Yammy.  I like the location of the chute crank, not having to bend down to turn it. 

How do those black bucket extension work for you?  I'm seeing them in the Canadian Honda models, but not for the US market.

I don't really have a need for the extensions. I rarely see that much snow. They're more for "effect."

This snowblower is not mine, only one I saw being sold recently with zero hrs.   I wish mine looked this nice.
You are right about the location of the chute crank.  Its very nice.  There are other "little things" that make the blower easy to use.
Some people refer to that as "over engineering"

This message was modified Feb 13, 2009 by Underdog

andre1

Reply #7   Apr 8, 2012 11:39 am
Hi I already own a Yamaha YS-624 since 25 years or so. That blower will be way better than your TORO. A 624 is a 6HP and is the equivalent of a 12 HP of any american made snow blower. When you will try it, you will not be able to come back to your TORO, no hard feeling, TORO is cheap machine if you compare with Yamaha, even those old machine are better than any new Cub Cadet, Toro, MTD or Huskvarna, imagine a new one. Just have compression tested thats all and make sure all cable work. Yamaha blower are still available in Canada and part are fairly easy to find for this machine. Hope will help.
Whoha

Reply #8   May 14, 2012 10:13 am
Andre1

You are right there!!! I sold my 88 YS828 this past year and bought a new Honda 2012 HS 928  wheel. My 25 year old Yamaha still out does the Honda by a wide margin. I would say my Yamaha had a 12hp motor in it if I was to compare the two. I would of bought a Yamaha if they were in the States AND if they had wheel versions.
mobiledynamics

Reply #9   Nov 19, 2012 9:15 pm
Holy Thread Bump

Is the Yammy really the Cats Paw.
I found one that *apparently* has 3 hrs of use on it. Seems alot for the asking price...but I don't entertaining the idea.
+ parts which will be real run IF/When I need them..
This message was modified Nov 19, 2012 by mobiledynamics
MN_Runner

Reply #10   Nov 23, 2012 9:31 pm
Whoha wrote:
Andre1

You are right there!!! I sold my 88 YS828 this past year and bought a new Honda 2012 HS 928  wheel. My 25 year old Yamaha still out does the Honda by a wide margin. I would say my Yamaha had a 12hp motor in it if I was to compare the two. I would of bought a Yamaha if they were in the States AND if they had wheel versions.

You could easily have driven up to Winnepeg as it is only 8 hours of driving.  I know you are a great mechanic so you could have easily removed the tracks and replaced them with the wheels.  It would have been a simple summer or fall project for you.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42