Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130 SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

John Deere 1130 SE
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:07 pm
I did a search and found a few references to this machine but no answers.  Any one have one of these?  15.5 snow max engine, heated hand grips, 30" wide.  I can't find a listing for auger diameter or impeller diameter.  I called John Deere and the guy that was suppose to be the snow thrower expert didn't know either. 

What is the Easy Steer drive system?  The literature says: 

• Easy Steer® drive system giving continuous power to both wheels and auto speed adjustment
  • Is it similar to the Ariens auto differential? 

I've heard that the units are built by B&S which translates to Simplicity.  They do have cast iron gear cases like the Simplicity.  The chute control is different than the simplicity and so is the turning method so they are not exactly the same.  I'm trying to compare the Simplicity L1530E to the JD 1130SE.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Replies: 84 - 93 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Santaclause

Re: John Deere 1130 SE
    Reply #84   Jan 31, 2009 6:44 pm
    yes sir you will have issue probably  I returned my Jd 1130 today and bought a cub cadet 930 from a dealer not a big box
    Uconn411

Reply #85   Feb 3, 2009 10:58 am
    Hello Everyone.  I've been following this discussion b/c I have a 928E that has had the same slippage problems, and for around $2 in weatherstripping, I have a simple solution that might help.

I was clearing my driveway in the last snowstorm, and it was raining/sleeting at the same time.  I almost immediately lost my drive.  Took it back into the garage, and removed the belt cover.  The problem is, the rear of where the cover seats, is where the metal from the snowblower frame dips down.  Water was going down this metal, and guess what?  The friction disc is right below.  It gets wet = loss of drive.  Once you take off the cover and see the relationship between the edge of the frame and position of the friction disc, you will understand why it so easily gets water on the disc.

So I dried up the water and cleaned up the friction disc using brake cleaner.  Then, I used a strip of weather stripping that I attached to the frame.  It is a little tricky putting this weather stripping in there, it goes behind the pulleys and the spring, and just lies flat on that metal edge that dips down.  Make sure it does not touch the engine.  Once on, it will help block water from simply falling onto the friction disc.  It works fine now, and the friction disc is able to do its job w/o getting wet and slipping.

It is part #46 in this diagram (but I just used regular weather stripping):  http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=snapper&mn=E115328E+(1695096)+32%22+11.5+HP+Two+Stage+Large+Frame+Snow+Thrower+Euro+Series+8&dn=11122

As mentioned in this thread, this part should of came standard with our blowers, but it didn't.  I suspect JD is fully aware of this problem, but doesn't want to pay a repairman to come out and apply a $2 piece of weather stripping.  There should be a better way to protect the friction disc from getting wet.  JD could have put a slight lip on the edge of the metal, to prevent water from just falling in.
    This message was modified Feb 3, 2009 by Uconn411
    natf

Reply #86   Feb 3, 2009 3:03 pm
    I need a new snow blower.  Most dealers have sold out of snow blowers in the area (southern NH) and are now stocking spring equipment.  Up until now I've gotten by with a 1970 Ariens 7HP 24" model.  A local dealer quoted me out $230 just for the part that has broken with a potential $500 more if the augers or drive shaft break while they try to get them apart (they have rusted together).

While looking for a new snowblower I came across the John Deere 1130SE at a local Lowes.  They had several left but most had repair tags for "wheels slipping".  They supposedly have been fixed (the sales rep mentioned the oil/grease on the friction disk but did not mention the melting snow leaking onto it).  Now to the point - they offered to sell me a John Deere 1130SE for $1,000.  They went right to that price so I suspect there may be even more wiggle room than that.

Given the problems with this model, and what appears to be a known fix (install the missing parts or weather stripping) what do you think is a fair price for this snow blower?  Would you buy one for $1,000?
    This message was modified Feb 3, 2009 by natf
    redsox

Reply #87   Feb 3, 2009 6:36 pm
     Hello natf,

I own the 1130se and was able to talk the management down to 1200.00 after mine had drive problems. I thought that was a steal 1,000 is a true winning price. Look at my previous post I sealed with tape problem gone. You will not find a blower with this kind of motor and torque for less than 1500.00. Just my thoughts others would rather pay 1700.00 and not put a small fix to there new blower. I do understand that some people feel you pay good money and there should be no problems.

Don

Bill_H

Reply #88   Feb 3, 2009 7:18 pm
    Aside from The Great Drive Problem, this appears to be one of the better machines out there. If you're willing to tinker a bit - or perhaps even talk the dealer into replacing the "missing" Part #46 mentioned above - that's an awesome price.

But if you're willing to tinker a bit you might consider taking one of the slipping-drive-repair-tagged ones at the dealers off his hands for, say, $700 or so. Find one that's otherwise as-new, fit the weatherproofing, and you'll have a hell of a machine for just over half price.

I'm not in the market for a blower at this time, but if I were I'd grab one that somebody hates because "they got a brand new machine with problems" - then fix it for a few bucks.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
    blackjack3

Reply #89   Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm
    Any updates on this drive problem?Has Deere provided any info to anyone on providing a free  upgrade on a kit to correct the problem?
    speedraser

Reply #90   Mar 16, 2009 12:17 pm
    I had the same drive issues on my brand new 1130SE and i have done 2 things and now awaiting any other snowfalls to test out..  

1.  i bought a small sheet of aluminum and made a small shield that  i bolted to the location of that gastet part # 46 in above referenced diagram.  it acts as both a snow deflector, and i sealed underneath it with silicone.  ( also put some weatherstripping on the bottom of the belt cover ends which essentially seals all the way across that end of the cover now).     this should eliminate the water dripping down from the snow melting on the engine issue.

2.  i did look at the hex shaft and there did seem to be a significant amount of lubricant which i could see could cause the issues as well.  I cleaned the shaft and drive plate with brake cleaner and re-lubricated the shaft with bearing greese which is much thicker and shouldn't fly off.  When i sprayed brake cleaner to clean the black residue from the drive plate, it came right off, which would lead me to believe the slippage could have been caused by the lubricant as well, (lubricant mixing with the rubber drive wheel on that plate causing the rubbery black residue on the drive plate ).  

so whether it was water dripping causing the slipping, or lubricant flying off the hex shaft, I addressed both and now am waiting to see if i get any more snow.

Brian
    trekguy

Reply #91   Apr 7, 2009 6:45 pm
    Local dealer called, and requested that I bring in the 1130Se asap for some retro fix for the drive problem.  I didn't talk to him, so I don't know exactly what that will be.  He said he wants them ALL taken care of before mower season starts.  Anyway, if you haven't been contacted yet... you may want to give them a call... apparently, there is a fix, and you may as well let them do it.  I'll report back when it's finished.
    dean

Reply #92   Apr 26, 2009 10:51 am
    trekguy wrote:
    Local dealer called, and requested that I bring in the 1130Se asap for some retro fix for the drive problem.  I didn't talk to him, so I don't know exactly what that will be.  He said he wants them ALL taken care of before mower season starts.  Anyway, if you haven't been contacted yet... you may want to give them a call... apparently, there is a fix, and you may as well let them do it.  I'll report back when it's finished.

Hi trek, did you get your machine back?

I just picked one of these up at my local Lowes store yesterday for $800, ($890 on seasonal closeout with 10% coupon) new, never started. If the two that were sitting there were not sold by next weekend the guy said they would go up on a shelf until this Fall.

Do you guys think I should just ring my local JD dealer on Monday, or should i go with calling B&S or JD directly? Looks like a beast of a machine, just hoping to see if there is a service bulletin out yet and if there really is a kit to fix it that can be provided to the JD dealer.

trekguy

Reply #93   May 2, 2009 4:10 pm
    Got it back with a different plastic cover.  I think they double-checked adjustments, as well... and cleaned the disk.  My retired Dad had time to spare, so he ran it to the dealer... I didn't talk to them myself.  Guess I won't know for sure til next winter, whether or not the problem is fully resolved.  The dealer said to let him know how it goes.  They are fully aware of the problem, so I wouldn't hesitate to give your's a call... they should know exactly what's what.  I will say again that besides that drive hiccup, the machine throws snow like nobody's business!  The last storm we had dumped 22 inches of heavy, wet snow in my yard..... the 1130 went through it like it was nothing.
    Replies: 84 - 93 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42