Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Anyone add a remote hood to their chute? Ariens 8hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Justsomeguy

Anyone add a remote hood to their chute? Ariens 8hp
Original Message   Jan 16, 2009 4:47 pm
So I have a new Ariens, the chute swings 200 degrees pretty swiftly, though I wish the handle was behind the handlebars....And I wish it had a remote hood to change the distance the snow is thrown.
Has anyone modified their blower like this? Ariens simply said 'not an option on yours' which I new since it lacked mounting points etc etc. 
They never replied to my inquiry about simply buying the hardware from a higher model and I would then mount some tabs myself...
On a machine this size its a shame, since reaching the chute is kinda hard over the bars, and well when your blowin' you dont want to step in the snow to get around to it....
If I wanted remote Chute I would have had to get one size bigger machine, spend a few hundred more etc etc...
Anyone play around with a mod like this?
Tony

PS I saw a $1500 Toro with a 'joystick' that controlled both motions with one joystick-like handle, pretty trick!
Replies: 5 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dok545

Re: Anyone add a remote hood to their chute? Ariens 8hp
Reply #5   Jan 22, 2009 6:05 pm
I put one on my Ariens 824. Model 932101. The kit number was 724063. I bought it about 6 years ago right after I bought my machine. Got it from Ariens for  $100.00 plus shipping. The kit I bought fit model numbers- 924117,300,508,932101,309.  Hope that helps. Glen from Minnesota
Justsomeguy

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2009 9:37 pm
Thanks Dok545

I have a 921001 model, so its not an out-of-the-box fit. I have to find out more about this kit to see what I need to modify!
Thanks!
Tony

PS, to me when a machine get to be this big, a remote deflector is a must have.OR a big long reach handle....
This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by Justsomeguy
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #7   Feb 9, 2009 8:03 pm
I have added a chute rotator by using a 12 volt cordless drill and am in the process of adding a car wiper motor to control the chute extension angle to my old 5-24 MTD. My plan is to run both from a 6 volt battery (rotation speeds are slower) and a joystick commonly used for arcade games. Waiting for the joystick to arrive (ebay). Will add some photos & movie (if I can figure out how) as I complete the project over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
This message was modified Feb 9, 2009 by GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp
nibbler

Reply #8   Feb 10, 2009 7:00 am
I've never done it but I have a vague memory of someone using a bicycle gear shift lever and cable for something like this. I'm assuming you are talking about the deflector and not the rotator.
Justsomeguy

Reply #9   Feb 15, 2009 9:54 pm
Yes, the deflector.
Thanks for the ideas so far!
JSG
Replies: 5 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42