Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Anyone add a remote hood to their chute? Ariens 8hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Justsomeguy

Anyone add a remote hood to their chute? Ariens 8hp
Original Message   Jan 16, 2009 4:47 pm
So I have a new Ariens, the chute swings 200 degrees pretty swiftly, though I wish the handle was behind the handlebars....And I wish it had a remote hood to change the distance the snow is thrown.
Has anyone modified their blower like this? Ariens simply said 'not an option on yours' which I new since it lacked mounting points etc etc. 
They never replied to my inquiry about simply buying the hardware from a higher model and I would then mount some tabs myself...
On a machine this size its a shame, since reaching the chute is kinda hard over the bars, and well when your blowin' you dont want to step in the snow to get around to it....
If I wanted remote Chute I would have had to get one size bigger machine, spend a few hundred more etc etc...
Anyone play around with a mod like this?
Tony

PS I saw a $1500 Toro with a 'joystick' that controlled both motions with one joystick-like handle, pretty trick!
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Justsomeguy

Re: Anyone add a remote hood to their chute? Ariens 8hp
Reply #1   Jan 20, 2009 4:17 pm
No has done a deflector mod? On anything?
Bill_H

Reply #2   Jan 20, 2009 11:23 pm
If anyone had done this you'd probably have an answer by now, usually doesn't take too long. I can't help, haven't done it, not familiar with your machine. I'm just answering so you don't think you're being ignored. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard, though, as long as you don't demand that it's pretty.
Good Luck!

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Coldfingers

Reply #3   Jan 21, 2009 4:00 pm
I would think you could buy the factory parts and add them, don't know if the cost would be to high or not. The cable running to the handlebars would probably be the hardest thing to mount.
Justsomeguy

Reply #4   Jan 22, 2009 4:39 pm
Thanks guys.
My email to Ariens came back 'cant be done'. All I wanted was the parts, i can mount SS tabs on the chute and hood. Especially if I get one in front of me to measure off...
Tony
dok545

Reply #5   Jan 22, 2009 6:05 pm
I put one on my Ariens 824. Model 932101. The kit number was 724063. I bought it about 6 years ago right after I bought my machine. Got it from Ariens for  $100.00 plus shipping. The kit I bought fit model numbers- 924117,300,508,932101,309.  Hope that helps. Glen from Minnesota
Justsomeguy

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2009 9:37 pm
Thanks Dok545

I have a 921001 model, so its not an out-of-the-box fit. I have to find out more about this kit to see what I need to modify!
Thanks!
Tony

PS, to me when a machine get to be this big, a remote deflector is a must have.OR a big long reach handle....
This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by Justsomeguy
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #7   Feb 9, 2009 8:03 pm
I have added a chute rotator by using a 12 volt cordless drill and am in the process of adding a car wiper motor to control the chute extension angle to my old 5-24 MTD. My plan is to run both from a 6 volt battery (rotation speeds are slower) and a joystick commonly used for arcade games. Waiting for the joystick to arrive (ebay). Will add some photos & movie (if I can figure out how) as I complete the project over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
This message was modified Feb 9, 2009 by GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp
nibbler

Reply #8   Feb 10, 2009 7:00 am
I've never done it but I have a vague memory of someone using a bicycle gear shift lever and cable for something like this. I'm assuming you are talking about the deflector and not the rotator.
Justsomeguy

Reply #9   Feb 15, 2009 9:54 pm
Yes, the deflector.
Thanks for the ideas so far!
JSG
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42