Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 932027 snowblower won't drive when cold

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mtbmike

Ariens 932027 snowblower won't drive when cold
Original Message   Jan 19, 2009 7:04 pm
HI! new to the forum, looks like lots of great reading here, glad to have found it.

wonder if I could get some advice on my Ariens 7hp, ST724, model# is 932027

problem started as wouldn't disengage drive when i pulled in the clutch, continued
to chug forward, wheels were locked when i dragged it backwards.

did some maintenance. Replaced the drive belt, the friction wheel looked pretty good
to me, still plenty of rubber on it.

problem remained, and now for the past 2 uses, it hasn't wanted to drive forward or
reverse at all when cold (stored in unheated garage). VERY hard to shift to any gear,
pretty much had to force it. Pushed it forward, within a minute or 2 it was driving itself,
although i *think* top speed was less that it used to be (could be wrong here..)

do i have a friction wheel problem, or possible some sort of contamination on the
friction plate? any ideas would be much appreciated

thanks!
Replies: 13 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Snowmann

Re: Ariens 932027 snowblower won't drive when cold
Reply #13   Jan 30, 2009 6:21 pm
mtbmike wrote:
the spring that i can't place is pretty light-weight. Its about the same caliper as
the springs that are under the hand grips for the levers, if you can follow that.

snowman, it seems to me that there's just no tension on the belt. Unsure
where the spring goes in the configuration. Could you tell me where to look?

if you can look at this ariens manual, go to page 4, the spring looks like part # 52

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/032342F.pdf

can't understand where it hooks up tho.

thanks very much

See the part of the frame where the hex bushings are pressed in for the drive plate shaft? Kind of folded down in the front? This spring attaches to the traction drive idler arm and hooks into a small divot at the bottom of this frontal folded down section of the frame. The spring isn't symmetrical so make sure it is oriented right. The longer goes downward and hooks at the bottom edge of the frame in the notch.
mtbmike

Reply #14   Jan 30, 2009 8:16 pm
snowman, thanks but i'm still having problems.
found 2 notches where the spring might hook
but neither seems to be correct. can you view this
pic - i have it hooked to the left slot, there is also a
slot visible way to the right side

This message was modified Jan 30, 2009 by mtbmike
Snowmann

Reply #15   Jan 30, 2009 8:41 pm
That's the right spot. Put the belt on to orient and tension the idler so the spring does not come off.
mtbmike

Reply #16   Feb 1, 2009 4:21 pm
thanks a million, snowman. Believe everything is running well now. Possible snow on tuesday, that will be the test!
Replies: 13 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42