Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
heyyip

Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Original Message   Apr 5, 2007 11:00 am
I bought this machine because I needed a rugged machine that would last me. I would rather purchase a "Tim Taylor" machine rather than fuss with an inferior one. This beast has 13hp, 36" wide, locking diff, heated hand grips, light, elec start, ect.... I have a 100 foot paved driveway. It has snowed 4 times since I purchased it, and it has broke down on me 3 times.  everything from a factory recall that i wasnt notified of, so it burned belts (4)!!, to nuts & bolts falling out, chute breaking, auger stops turning, wheels stop driving, etc.... The dealer has a special place for it in his shop that they dont fill when it is at my place. I believe this machine would last forever,  if i dont use it. The dealer stood behind me 100% when I told them enough is enough I wanted something done, money back, or a replacement. Now it has snowed today, 20", I have a bad back and have to shovel while the ariens company sits on my $3000.00. Anybody else have this problem?
Replies: 41 - 50 of 113Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jdmcsnow

Re: Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Reply #41   Jan 16, 2009 10:32 am
I've had a 12/36 ST for 11 years, using it for business approximately 60 hrs a season in various states of snow conditions from slushy to chunky ice. I've ran news papers through it and made confetti, hit conrete trowels and chunked them out into scrap metal, ran gravel like a machine gun and basically abused the machine. I maintain and paint it regularly. In the off season it gets all points maint. Before xmas 08, I was having carb issues and had to order a new carb from Ariens. (11yrs of abuse later) While it was on order, a storm was expected and since I have alot of people counting on me, I decided it was time to upgrade to the machine I had been drooling over for 5 or so years. The 1336 DLE.  So December 27, 2008 I bought it for 3345.00 in Denver. This machine is above and beyond the awesomeness of the 12/36. I have to down throw snow because it is a launcher. The automatic differential is great, the quick turn chute is an arm saver, and heated handles means I can go gloveless if I want. If you are having problems, you either got a lemon, or the setup is wrong from the dealer. (govener, carb or?) I would not go around bad mouthing the best snow removal machines ever made. All others are just inferior, period. Hopefully they (Ariens, not your dealer) will hook you up with another machine or dial it in properly for you.

Good Luck

xenorias

Reply #42   Jan 16, 2009 11:22 am
I accidentally ran over a Sears catalog with my Ariens 1130DLE, and it turned it in confettis... My wife wasn't too happy about that! The catalog, of course... The snowblower did not suffer any damage at all.

I just had to stop the engine to remove the plastic bag that had wrapped around the auger axle... And pickup all those tiny pieces of paper before they fly in the neighbor's front yard!

nhmatt

Reply #43   Jan 18, 2009 8:47 am
There is an Ariens dealer 8 minutes from my house, and although I didn't purchase my snowblower from them the proximity of this dealer (I get everything else from them, chainsaws, mowers, trimmers, blowers ect) was the decisive reason I strayed from Honda.  POINT BLANK:   The manager of this store owns the 1336dle as his personal snowblower and he AGREES with me that this is a poorly designed machine.  I was there buying belts and I started getting into my gripes and HE REAFFIRMED EVERY MISGIVING I HAVE ABOUT THIS MACHINE!!!!!!!!!  That's when I knew I wasn't crazy.  The bucket, impeller, weight, balance are out-of-whack.  It may do a great job on easy snow but you will be disappointed.  His only suggestion was to throttle down the motor a bit and "GO SLOW".  So much for the larger machine.

One thing I will say about Ariens is they are easy to work on, and in the single year I've had mine I should know.  I like the way on my honda I don't have to line up the auger (in the dark)  find the sheared bolt through the grease on the axle(in the dark) and tap through the broken piece then reinsert my new shear bolt (in the dark).

The automatic chute on the 1336dle is nice- when it works

The differential is nice when youre turning.  My model has a wheel lock and not the trigger.  I find the wheels spin out when I don't have it locked, because I'm either trying to scrape up something or I'm going too fast.   This would be a nice feature to actually be able to "use", mostly I only use it when I have to lug it back to the garage because something is "out of tune".   This machine clogs with slush, and will jam the impeller.  I don't believe there are any different parts on my machine than any other. 

In no way,shap,or form does this machine even come close to the throwing distance of a Honda.

The motor is strong enough, but loud and uses too much gas.   Is it tuned?  As tuned as its going to get.

jdmcsnow

Reply #44   Jan 26, 2009 9:34 pm
Well, all I can say is the Ariens12/36ST I had ate everything that was thrown at it, commercially a money maker for 11 hard years. I've only been running this new 1336DLE Pro for a month so I don't know if problems are coming or not. So far its been chawing up ice plow truck berms and last night I ate a Sunday Vail Daily and kept on going. I haven't busted a shear pin yet. Today it was 32 degree slushy blower clogging crap and I was worried. NO PROBLEM!!  It was like Niagra Falls flying out of there. The temp swings have been awful since I've had this machine, and I have'nt clogged a chute yet. I can't understand why yours can't handle your driveway?...It has to be crippled somehow.

Confused, Hope you get it dialed

nhmatt

Reply #45   Jan 27, 2009 7:52 pm
I didn't get it dialed.  I got it SOLD!  I bought a 2007 HS1132tas for $1500, and then dumped the orange piece of junk on craigslist.  Glad to be rid of it. 

The Ariens shear pins are pretty tough to break, much harder than the Honda but I hated the way you have to line the impeller up, then knock out the left-over piece in the center (all full of grease and hard to see in the dark)  then finally tap in the new one.  The Honda's are on  the outside, parallel to the auger and fall out when they break.  I could change one in the dark.

I'm surprised your unit does very well in wet snow.  I've never had a snowblower clog as often as that Ariens.   The only time my old Honda clogged was when I sucked up a blue tarp by accident.    The new Honda is an absolute beast.  I'm guessing it would tire me out if using all day, but I'm done my driveway at least 1/2 hour sooner, and it does a MUCH better job.  The Ariens moved r easy when not running, and the differential is nice when you're on tar and making tight corners but these are things that are great in the showroom, and of very little importance when actually using a snowblower.   I used to have 4 properties that I cleared myself with my old honda 828, and other than a few shearpins there was not one single issue in 8 years of operation. 

Ariens sucks.

cloggedchute

Reply #46   Mar 2, 2009 11:16 am
My Ariens kept clogging and dumping "logs" of wet snow instead of throwing the snow - I was unhappy - especially after reading this thread and the complaints of others.  I decided to call Ariens before taking a sledge hammer to the machine.

They said, "check the impellor drive belt - it has probably stretched and is slipping, preventing the impellor from throwing properly.  Take the belt cover off, hold down the auger handle and see if belt is tight."  I tried that  - the belt was so loose I am surprised it could throw any snow.   Only took two 1/2" wrenches to loosen idler pulley and move it to tighten belt when engaged.  I took the snowblower out again in today's 8" of heavy, wet snow and it threw it further than it had ever thrown!!!

So, if blower is not throwing well, check impellor belt tension before getting ticked off.  I didn't do this until forcing the machine through the job - would have taken a third of the time if I had checked and adjusted the belt before I started, or when I saw it wasn't throwing well.

terrier

Reply #47   Mar 2, 2009 5:48 pm
Had a Honda 928 with tracks. Biggest piece of crap ever. Sold to some guy who thought Hondas were the best thing going. Bought an Ariens 9526DLE two years ago. Best snowblower I have ever had, no trouble at all, throws far better than the Honda ever did, without all the Honda issues.
aa335

Reply #48   Mar 2, 2009 7:13 pm
terrier wrote:
Had a Honda 928 with tracks. Biggest piece of crap ever. Sold to some guy who thought Hondas were the best thing going. Bought an Ariens 9526DLE two years ago. Best snowblower I have ever had, no trouble at all, throws far better than the Honda ever did, without all the Honda issues.

You sold your Honda 928 to a guy that thought that Hondas were the best thing going.  And you bought Ariens 9526DLE, the best snowblower you ever had.  Awesome! That's great!!!  Both the Honda guy and the Ariens guy got what they wanted.  Its a win-win situation. 

The Honda 928 with tracks is known as Honda HS928TA.  Of course being the previous owner of this snowblower, you already knew that.  And if you had spent reasonable amount of seat time getting to know and setting up your equipment as well as adjusting your technique of snowblowing, you may have come to a reasonable conclusion that this piece of equipment has some capabilities and some quirks of its own.  Your current snowblower, the Ariens 9526DLE, has been well praised for having the right balance of power and maneuverability, and the cutting width is suitable to most homeowners.  Its price is neither inexpensive or exorbitant. 

Can you elaborate on your disappointment with examples on how the Honda is a "biggest piece of crap"?  Absolutes such as "best, ever, and all" are inaccurate and rarely exempt from exception to the rule.  Provide examples of throwing distances of the two products you mentioned and "all the Honda issues" would be a good start.  No one wants to be an uninformed buyer spending $2500 on an snowblower and not be happy with it.

This message was modified Mar 3, 2009 by aa335
nhmatt

Reply #49   Mar 2, 2009 7:48 pm
terrier wrote:

Sorry, I call Bull Sh*t.  There's no Ariens that comes close to a Honda.  No way. I've owned both and have had the pleasure (and displeasure) of testing both machines side by side on the same driveway with the same snow.   If you don't like tracks, I can understand.  Hard(er) to turn, more money, harder to turn, more money, harder to turn.  Great having a differential in a world where you only have snow and no ice.  That $3,000 Ariens could not handle a 5% grade.  Easy turning = Bad traction.  Good for the showroom but bad for the driveway.

Ok, if you don't need tracks then don't get tracks.  But if you need tracks they're better than anything.  I can scrape a hockey pond with my Honda AFTER a 200'  trip into the woods.  I can also dig through packed snow.  The Ariens was great with 6" of powder, but even on the lowest speed the impeller can't throw a whole bucket of snow REGARDLESS of any clearance kit or whatever. 

Check the prices on a used snowblower, and that's a good indication on the quality/customer satisfaction of a machine.  Honda's hold their value better than Ariens.  Much, much, much better.

No friggin' way.  A Honda would eat an Ariens. 

aa335

Reply #50   Mar 2, 2009 9:40 pm
Go easy on the guy, or gal.  Give him/her a chance to explain.
This message was modified Mar 2, 2009 by aa335
Replies: 41 - 50 of 113Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42