Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
heyyip

Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Original Message   Apr 5, 2007 11:00 am
I bought this machine because I needed a rugged machine that would last me. I would rather purchase a "Tim Taylor" machine rather than fuss with an inferior one. This beast has 13hp, 36" wide, locking diff, heated hand grips, light, elec start, ect.... I have a 100 foot paved driveway. It has snowed 4 times since I purchased it, and it has broke down on me 3 times.  everything from a factory recall that i wasnt notified of, so it burned belts (4)!!, to nuts & bolts falling out, chute breaking, auger stops turning, wheels stop driving, etc.... The dealer has a special place for it in his shop that they dont fill when it is at my place. I believe this machine would last forever,  if i dont use it. The dealer stood behind me 100% when I told them enough is enough I wanted something done, money back, or a replacement. Now it has snowed today, 20", I have a bad back and have to shovel while the ariens company sits on my $3000.00. Anybody else have this problem?
Replies: 31 - 40 of 113Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
nibbler

Impeller
Reply #31   Dec 23, 2008 8:12 am
Possible causes, least likely to most:
  1. Next time you remove the pulley cover measure the auger system pulley maybe its too small and the impeller RPM is too low;
  2. Make sure you put the choke in the "off" ( a.k.a. open or run) position;
  3. If you go too slow there isn't enough load on the engine the governor won't cause the engine to rev up, you can hear the difference when it happens, try a higher speed setting;
  4. The belt is too loose and slips whenever the auger/impeller is under load.
pvrp

Re: Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Reply #32   Dec 23, 2008 10:40 pm
nhmatt wrote:
Oh My God.  I had to join this site just to vent.

I think you may have bought the wrong machine for your needs.

nhmatt wrote:

1.)  The snowblower is balanced with all the weight under the wheels, so it rides up.  If you pull up on the handles the wheels just spin. 
Unlock the wheels and only one wheel spins.  Horrible, horrible traction.  Chains?  Tried it.  Weight kit?  Tried it.   This machine sucks.

You misunderstand the operation of the differential.  The idea is to have power going to both wheels, whether or
not you're turning.   Just like on a car this works very well as long as both wheels have traction.  But the way the
differential works is that it will end up sending all the power to the wheel which loses traction (like on ice).   If
you don't want this to happen you have to manually lock the wheels (the new limited slip differential will do this
for you).

nhmatt wrote:
2.) Chute is off center, so snow goes left easier than going right.

I don't see how the snow could exit the chute if it was in the center of the machine.  The snow comes
off the impeller tangent  to the rotation of its blades and if you want the direction to be "up", so you can
then send it somewhere useful, the chute will have to be on one side of the impeller.

nhmatt wrote:

3.) You will only need 3 gears:  Reverse, 1st and 6th.  Because the impeller/auger doesn't spin fast enough to get rid of more than 4" of snow at a pass if you go any faster than gear 1, and 6 will get you back to the garage after you get the piece of junk started again.  BAD GEAR RATIO!!!!!!!  I bet its because the pully is the same one used for a smaller bucket, but no one bothered to do the math on engine speed/auger speed.  Piss poor engineering.

This is why I think you picked the wrong model for your needs.  In my mind a 36" wide machine is for quickly clearing
a large area of snow that is not too thick.   For deep snow you want a narrow machine.  Especially for something like the
snowbank left by the city plow.  The first cut into this has to be the full width of the machine and 36" is asking too much.

Paul
This message was modified Dec 23, 2008 by pvrp
nhmatt

Reply #33   Dec 24, 2008 6:41 am
I absolutely bought the wrong machine.   But I don't undestand your point that a 13hp machine with a 36" bucket shouldn't be able to spit 6" of snow in the lowest gear possible.   This is the first time I've had someone suggest I should have a smaller machine, because I'm asking too much work from the biggest, baddest, snowblower ariens could make.    I believe my point WAS that this machine couldn't do the job I was asking of it, which is anthing more than 6" of powder.  Go figure, a snowblower that's affraid to get wet.

If you look at the honda the chute is directly at the top of the impeller, making the throwing distance the same to either side.  Also, they don't put the battery directly in the path of the snow coming out of the chute (not that you should waste your money on electric start with a honda).  Maybe that's the reason in 10 years it only clogged when I sucked up a blue tarp.

I will be the first to admit I bought the wrong machine.  Its great to turn as you head back to the garage to gas up (gas hog) or to tighten the belt, or to let the auger/impeller thaw out because it doesn't like to get wet.  Honestly, buy a cheap, cheap cheap machine instead of wasting your money on an expensive one that was built cheaply.

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #34   Dec 24, 2008 7:05 am
I have a Honda at work and at home and both have the chute off center.

nhmatt

Reply #35   Dec 24, 2008 11:00 am
Ok Ok.  I understand what you mean with the need for release of snow at the tangent to the circle, and how its going to be off-center no matter what if you want to get all you can from the centrifugal force of the impeller.  Just like throwing a discus.  But take a good look inside both chutes, working and not,  and you'll notice how much more the snow bounces around in the ariens, and how the chute/auger in the honda spins the snow out.  Maybe its the size/speed of the impellers, where a faster impeller would mean it could be smaller and therefore less of a difference from right to left or whatever you want. 

Honda throws the snow farther, and its not just the power of the motor.   I've had a lot of xtra time to think about it while I'm working on this machine, instead of actually using this machine.  Other ariens may be fine, but this one model is a dud.

This message was modified Dec 24, 2008 by nhmatt
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #36   Dec 24, 2008 3:16 pm
The Honda has a much smaller space between the impeller and the housing. This is why it throws like it does. If you install a Clarence impeller kit o n the Ariens it will become a new beast. I know because I did it on my 1128dle.
http://smllengns.tripod.com/

borat

Reply #37   Dec 24, 2008 6:22 pm
The clearance between the impeller vanes and housing on my  Simplicity looks to be around 1/16th of an inch.  It throws snow better than anything I've used before.  I agree that closer vane/housing tolerance will eject snow further and at a faster rate.
fpjungle

Reply #38   Dec 31, 2008 11:57 pm
I couldn't agree more that the 1336 Pro is an expensive piece of junk. I am looking foward to all the breakdowns described because i've been lucky there so far but I've got a 2 year old machine. My complaint is that it could not cut through 4" of powdered snow without clogging.  After an hour or so of this recently I had had it and sent it into a snow bank and got my shovel. After a half hour of shoveling, I broke the shovel over the 1336. Poor shovel!  I've tried silicone, WD40, belts, Etc.  I hear Honda is the one. Ariens chute design is a LOSER!!
borat

Reply #39   Jan 1, 2009 11:16 am
fpjungle wrote:
I couldn't agree more that the 1336 Pro is an expensive piece of junk. I am looking foward to all the breakdowns described because i've been lucky there so far but I've got a 2 year old machine. My complaint is that it could not cut through 4" of powdered snow without clogging.  After an hour or so of this recently I had had it and sent it into a snow bank and got my shovel. After a half hour of shoveling, I broke the shovel over the 1336. Poor shovel!  I've tried silicone, WD40, belts, Etc.  I hear Honda is the one. Ariens chute design is a LOSER!!

Don't rule out Simplicity/Snapper.  They're top notch.
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #40   Jan 1, 2009 11:39 am
I agree that the machines should not clog but they do. For aprox $35 and an hour install give Clarences impeller kit a try. Your machine will not clog and you will be amazed. I have a Honda and Ariens And yes the Honda is a quality machine but the Ariens once modified with the impeller kit becomes a new machine. Spend a few bucks and use what you got or sell it and spend more and get the Honda.

Replies: 31 - 40 of 113Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42