Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > A Tip on a very good grease for outside applications

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

A Tip on a very good grease for outside applications
Original Message   Dec 13, 2008 10:09 am
Considering the latest rush on lubing snow throwers, I've finally decided to let the forum in on a couple top secret lubrications that I use.

These two products are for industrial applications such as exposed chains, cables, shafts, bushings etc.  It's black & very tacky but being in a spray can, goes on as easy as can be.  It sticks to stuff like sh!t on a blanket and lasts like nothing else.   I didn't buy this stuff.  I have a friend that worked at a pulp mill who had a supply of  it.  So you might have to do some searching on the INTERNET to track it down. 

I like it primarily because I can spray it on the chains inside the chassis.  I cover the friction drive surfaces with a rag and with the straw on the nozzle, I can direct the spray closely and accurately on the chain only, not all over the inside of the chassis.  If you can find this stuff, you'll like it. 

This message was modified Dec 13, 2008 by borat
Replies: 12 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Muskokaphotog

Re: A Tip on a very good grease for outside applications
Reply #12   Jan 14, 2009 10:53 pm
What mechanism do you know of that is exposed to the elements and often punished by rain, mud and sand? This mechanism also has to put up with occasional grass, twigs and more. It's called a bicycle gear and chain drive. For demanding outdoor applications requiring the optimum of lubing and rust prevention, I use hi grade chain lube from a bike store. DO NOT use WD-40. It is just too light and actually strips away some of the silicone lubricants that are apart of modern drives. For rust prevention, Crown Rust proofing spray is the best.
Bill_H

Re: A Tip on a very good grease for outside applications
Reply #13   Jan 14, 2009 11:26 pm
FYI, the Keystone doesn't seem to be easily obtained, but the Crown is available at acehardwareoutlet.com for 7.68 a can.
A place called toolfetch has it for  $79 a case, or  6.58 a can but seems to sell cases only.

I think I'll write both names down for the next time I am near my semi-local industrial hardware store.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 12 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42