Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > A Tip on a very good grease for outside applications

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

A Tip on a very good grease for outside applications
Original Message   Dec 13, 2008 10:09 am
Considering the latest rush on lubing snow throwers, I've finally decided to let the forum in on a couple top secret lubrications that I use.

These two products are for industrial applications such as exposed chains, cables, shafts, bushings etc.  It's black & very tacky but being in a spray can, goes on as easy as can be.  It sticks to stuff like sh!t on a blanket and lasts like nothing else.   I didn't buy this stuff.  I have a friend that worked at a pulp mill who had a supply of  it.  So you might have to do some searching on the INTERNET to track it down. 

I like it primarily because I can spray it on the chains inside the chassis.  I cover the friction drive surfaces with a rag and with the straw on the nozzle, I can direct the spray closely and accurately on the chain only, not all over the inside of the chassis.  If you can find this stuff, you'll like it. 

This message was modified Dec 13, 2008 by borat
Replies: 2 - 11 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: A Tip on a very good grease for outside applications
Reply #2   Dec 13, 2008 11:02 am
pvrp wrote:
I don't think grease is the best thing for chains.  You want the lubrification inside between the rollers
and the pins and only oil can get in there.  I remember a spray grease for motorcycle chains that was
supposed to foam its way inside but from something like a snowblower with very low speeds  I just
use 3-in-1 oil and oil it like a bicycle chain.  While turning the chain slowly apply one drop between
the each roller and the inside of its link plate, then one drop between each two adjacent link plates,
then the same for the other side of the chain so four passes in all.  Turn the chain a bit to get the oil
everywhere then run the chain inside a rag to get off the excess.

Paul

The ability for this product to penetrate is what makes it special.  It seeps into the slightest openings.  It comes out as a very thin  foamy liquid then firms up into a tacky but very slippery film.  If you look at the can, it states that it's used for chains.   Chains in outside applications in dirty wet conditions.   I use it on my dirt bike chain.  Being an industrial use product, you can rest assured that it works.    Believe me, this is the stuff.   
trouts2

Reply #3   Dec 13, 2008 11:05 am
  How about the middle ground?  I degrease the chain then work in liberal amounts of light oil then heavy grease on top applied with a paintbrush.  I like the spray grease and small nozzles which can get in places tough to reach.  I've just started using white lithium in a spray can which is about the only thing I've seen around in my area.  It would be nice to have some of those heavy tacky greases Borat mentioned but I've never seen them for sale.  Their probably available from heavy equipment and industrial suppliers which I generally don't frequent.  They might also be available from the bigger dealers that service the landscape professionals.   
borat

Reply #4   Dec 13, 2008 11:43 am
I love the smell of white lithium grease.  It almost smells a bit like pine.  I must say that it does have a very appealing  "nose", compared to most stuff I use.   I don't use it much in applications where it's exposed to the elements.  It doesn't hang in nearly as well as the the black stuff.
friiy

Reply #5   Dec 14, 2008 12:28 am
Areoshell 33 on lots of stuff,    and LPS 2 on cables and pullys...

Areoshell is good in wet enviroments down to -60 F and LPS will spray into cables and pullys and wipes off well...

If you guys are worried about your Snowthrowers rusting up on exposed metal,   try to use some LPS 3 sprayed and dryed over the area you want to protect.

Friy

mfduffy

Reply #6   Dec 14, 2008 5:02 pm
I'm no expert, by any means, but I've had good success with SuperLube grease. It's widely available (in a silver/gray tube) at ACE Hardware. That on chains and teeth combined with synthetic motor oil on the shafts and WD-40 on cables has proven sufficient for our Wisconsin winters. But I'm a newbie with a relatively new machine -- just thought I'd put it out there.
IMMike

Reply #7   Dec 16, 2008 6:46 am
  Chain and cable lubes are all pretty similar.  I use the Loctite "Gear, Chain, and Cable Lube" but if you're applying it regularly it really doesn't matter which one you use.  Yes, they work great for wire ripe, chain, and open gears.  You can get chain lube at any bike shop, or you can go to Fastenal or any other industrial-ish supplier and ask for chain and cable lube and they'll have something or other.
  White Lithium grease is the industry standard for a grease that won't wash off easily.  It's not the ultimate, but it's easy to get, inexpensive, and works well.   Some people call it 'marine grease'.  The ultimate would be a calcium sulphonate grease, but that's normally only used on heavy industrial equipment in very adverse conditions.

I.M.Mike
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #8   Jan 9, 2009 8:16 am
Borat, your comments reminded me of a well intentioned someone I know who decided it was time to do some maintenance and a thorough lubrication of his snowblower. Upon completion he was dismayed to find that while the auger turned, the machine would not move in any direction. You know the rest of the story... he was very diligent in greasing everything, including the friction wheels!

Thanks for the tip on the lubes. I'm no expert but I came across Bardahl chain lube & it seems to work well. I used it when I had the drive train disassembled, and it came out of the can a little foamy & runny but soon gelled up quite nicely. I don't know how well it would work if applied in the cold, because the directions say to pre-heat the chain with a 5 minute ride before you use it.

Cheers, Paul

https://t.me/pump_upp
borat

Reply #9   Jan 9, 2009 9:54 am
That's why it's important to use a product that will seep into chain links then get very tacky quickly.   The black spray grease I use is god awful stuff to have to clean up after being applied.  It sticks like gorilla snot.  I'm very careful how I apply it and I make sure I have a piece of cardboard on the garage floor to catch any drips if I get sloppy.  Once it's on and set up, it lasts and lasts.
MacLorry27

Reply #10   Jan 9, 2009 10:39 am

The problem with light oil is that while it penetrates, it doesn’t protect the chain and sprockets as well as heavy oil. The problem with "sticky" lubes is that they hold any dirt or grit they come in contact with and you end up with an abrasive paste rather than a lubricant. The best stuff I have found for chains is called Tri-Flow. It’s a light penetrating oil that displaces water, but it contains microscopic particles of Teflon that protect the chain and sprockets better than oil alone can do. The big market for it is bicycles, but I used it on my on and off road motorcycles for over 20 years with excellent results. It’s probably overkill for snow thrower chains, but it will certainly do the job.

borat

Reply #11   Jan 9, 2009 12:27 pm
I agree with the tacky stuff attracting and holding grit.  However, any lubrication will do that albeit to a lesser degree.  I have used a variety of chain lubes on my bikes.  My KLR650 has been a test bed for a number of designated chain lubes as well as the stuff I use on the snow blower.   I use O ring chains which, theoretically don't require manual lubrication.  I've read extensively on the subject as well as participate in forums where very experienced (read older) riders have tried various lubes over the years.  Most of them have concluded that WD-40 applied every 300 to 400 miles will extend chain life on a dual purpose bike being ridden in mixed conditions to well over 30000 miles.  Some objectors believe that WD-40 will wash out the grease being held in by the O rings.  That, apparently is untrue.  I have found that it will wash off grit and grime which would likely have an abrasive effect on the O rings if left unattended.  I've been using  WD-40 exclusively now for about 6000 miles.  I see no visible wear on chain or sprockets and have made one chain adjustment in the last 5000 miles or so.  The chain is looking very good but it only has 11000 miles on it so far. 

Being that snow throwing involves snow, water & salt, the black, tacky stuff on a snow thrower is perfect for that application.  There's no dust to worry about and it is resistant to washing off better than anything else I've seen or used.   Salty water will rust up components pretty fast.  On a snow thrower, the more resistant the lube is to washing off, the better. 

This message was modified Jan 9, 2009 by borat
Replies: 2 - 11 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42