Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 28 or 32 inch Simplicity Pro Signature?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pgill

28 or 32 inch Simplicity Pro Signature?
Original Message   Dec 31, 2008 4:23 am
I had possed this question in the previous thread I had created, but I am posting it again here in hopes of getting some quick feedback.  I have purchased the 28inch model, but could change my mind if I call in the morning before they deliver it.

As far as my Simplicity goes, the dealer had both the 28 and 32 inch pro models.  I really debated between the two, as there was only a $200.00 difference.  I thought the 28" would be the way to go for the best power to width ratio, and the motors are the same as far as I can tell.  Dealers seem think it is only a tweak in the carb, or higher RPM that gives the 32"  the extra hp.  I don't mind the smaller cut, as either is bigger than my old machine, but what got me wondering was the tires.  between the two they are the same height, but the 32" has a significantly wider tire.  Will it drive through the heavy stuff much better, or does the added width of the auger make it equal again? 

I could probably call first thing in the morning and switch to the 32" if it was much better.  I was thinking the 28" should be equal because of the narrower width, it also felt like it had a little more weight up front than 32" which I hoped would help the augers to bite in a little more.  I thought that was odd since it was smaller up front, but the dealer thought so as well as we were looking at them.

I was also wondering if others typically use the wieghts that can be added on, and/or chains on the wheels?  Does anyone feel they make much difference, or recommend to get them or not?  Also, I asked the dealer to fill it with a synthetic oil.  Seems everything is going that way so I figure why not.  They said they would pick up some Ams Oil from the dealer down the road from them.  For future use, does anyone recommend something like Mobile One or Ams oil, others?  Perhaps a particular type of grease as well?  Wish I thought of asking the dealer what grease they use, I could have asked them to switch that as well if needed.  I'm sure it will be good enough to get me started, then I'll hit it with the grease gun anyway.

I like the 28 inch, just thought I would see if someone experienced with these things thought I should really go with 32 inch for some reason while I still have a choice.

Replies: 7 - 16 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
montyss

Re: 28 or 32 inch Simplicity Pro Signature?
Reply #7   Dec 31, 2008 5:19 pm
Pete   Can you tell where the dealer is that has the  Simplicity pro still ?
pgill

Reply #8   Dec 31, 2008 5:44 pm
montyss wrote:
Pete   Can you tell where the dealer is that has the  Simplicity
George Kahler Sales, Rome NY. I believe they have two 28 inch and one 32 inch pro simplicity left.  Hope that helps.
Bill_H

Reply #9   Jan 1, 2009 11:33 pm
A bit late for the OP, but I've been thinking about this as I debated my next (if ever) purchase.

28" vs. 32":  aside from storage issues why not go with the larger one? It's only 4 inches so it may not save you a pass down a long driveway, then again it just might. Wider would save a pass on most driveways, and that is a big point for 50' or longer driveways. (Mine is 110') 32" is a nice width for a single pass on a sidewalk, my 28 is just a little bit too narrow.
Personally, I'd have a 42" if I could store it - the space at the front of my garage between the door is 36" so my 28 is fine and a 32 would be no trouble. 40 or more would stick out, forcing me to move it to the back of the garage, and then face the possibility of having to take out a vehicle to get the blower out to the driveway. That's the deal-killer.

I don't understand the worry about enough HP for a wider one, isn't that why we have gears? There's a certain amount of snow out there, and the wider one will pick up more to feed to the same impeller. If it's too much, you just slow down a little. If you're bogging down the engine at that point you'd want to slow down anyway. I only see this as an issue for the first pass. I think we all go less than full width on subsequent passes if it is so deep the machine is struggling. In my opinion, I think it's a non-issue, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.  Am I?

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Paul7

Reply #10   Jan 1, 2009 11:59 pm
From my perspective the power to width ratio isn't too meaningful except for the first cut into a new snowfall.  If the snow is deep I rarely take a full cut on subsequent passes in order to keep snow from falling to the cleared side of the front chute. 

The choice between the 2 models is not a decision to sweat over.  They are both BEASTS, and each will handle whatever falls from the sky.
aa335

Reply #11   Jan 2, 2009 1:28 am
Bill_H wrote:
A bit late for the OP, but I've been thinking about this as I debated my next (if ever) purchase.

28" vs. 32":  aside from storage issues why not go with the larger one? It's only 4 inches so it may not save you a pass down a long driveway, then again it just might. Wider would save a pass on most driveways, and that is a big point for 50' or longer driveways. (Mine is 110') 32" is a nice width for a single pass on a sidewalk, my 28 is just a little bit too narrow.
Personally, I'd have a 42" if I could store it - the space at the front of my garage between the door is 36" so my 28 is fine and a 32 would be no trouble. 40 or more would stick out, forcing me to move it to the back of the garage, and then face the possibility of having to take out a vehicle to get the blower out to the driveway. That's the deal-killer.

I don't understand the worry about enough HP for a wider one, isn't that why we have gears? There's a certain amount of snow out there, and the wider one will pick up more to feed to the same impeller. If it's too much, you just slow down a little. If you're bogging down the engine at that point you'd want to slow down anyway. I only see this as an issue for the first pass. I think we all go less than full width on subsequent passes if it is so deep the machine is struggling. In my opinion, I think it's a non-issue, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.  Am I?

You do have a point.  I have a 32" and I also do have to slow down when cutting into EOD pile.  Its a speed that balance getting the right amount of snow into the impeller while not too fast that the auger wants to ride over the snow.   When the snow is nice and consistent (soft and no ice patches on driveway), it's great to have a wide bucket.  However, when the pavement is uneven with ice or snow patches, I think the larger bucket tends to wander a bit more.  So for less than ideal snow, I'd prefer the 28" bucket because its more maneuverable and I can correct the wandering better.

I'd love to get a 42" blower, but something of that size, I want the weight of a tractor to keep that bucket in check.  I think that's just too large of a snowblower for a walk behind.  I can't get something that wide pass my car's rear bumper and the garage door.    I don't want to deal with moving a car around to get the snowblower outside. 

borat

Reply #12   Jan 2, 2009 10:58 am
My previous two Craftsman snow throwers were both powered by a 10 h.p. Tecumseh L-head.   Machine no. 1 was a 10-32, machine no. 2 was a 10-28.   All I can say about the two is that the 32 inch machine couldn't keep up with the 28".   Even when the 32 was running at it's best (newest) and the 28 was running at it worst (oldest) the 28 would out-work the 32".   From my experience, power is an issue.  Four inches of additional width is a 14% increase.   I don't know what that equates to volumetrically, but I believe that if you're going wider, more power is essential.  Personally, I'd want at least one more h.p. per two inches of extra width.    
This message was modified Jan 2, 2009 by borat
aa335

Reply #13   Jan 2, 2009 11:28 am
borat wrote:
My previous two Craftsman snow throwers were both powered by a 10 h.p. Tecumseh L-head.   Machine no. 1 was a 10-32, machine no. 2 was a 10-28.   All I can say about the two is that the 32 inch machine couldn't keep up with the 28".   Even when the 32 was running at it's best (newest) and the 28 was running at it worst (oldest) the 28 would out-work the 32".   From my experience, power is an issue.  Four inches of additional with is a 14% increase.   I don't know what that equates to volumetrically, but I believe that if you're going wider, more power is essential.  Personally, I'd want at least one more h.p. per two inches of extra width.    

In addition to more horsepower, I think the impeller would have to be sized larger or at least spin at a higher RPM to effectively move the larger volume of snow collected by the larger width augers.  I see a lot of snowblowers where a 32" snowblower has the same impeller diameter as a 28" machine.

I think the Simplicity models and some commercial duty models size their impeller larger for larger width.  Not all manufacturers do this, however. 

borat

Reply #14   Jan 2, 2009 12:22 pm
Increasing Impeller speed/volume makes sense. 
pgill

Reply #15   Jan 2, 2009 12:46 pm
I have to say after my initial use I really like the 28".  The 32" would have been to big to manuver for me.  I know it doesn't seem like to much difference between the two, but for me it would be.  My previous blower was a 24", so I like the increase, but could not fit the 32" through a couple of tight areas.  Given the choice, I prefer more power in most applications.  The 28" has the best power to width ratio according to the stats on paper.  I would be willing to bet it is actually better than that.  I don't think there is any difference between the motors in the 28 and 32.  I  bet the 28 is putting out the same power, only running at a lower RPM perhaps.  Which may mean that the 28" motor isn't working as hard and may outlive the other.  Ofcourse, if this is the case you could easily bump up the RPM a touch to get the same power as the 32".  One benefit is the 28" will probably also run a bit longer on a tank as well.
aa335

Reply #16   Jan 2, 2009 12:59 pm
pgill wrote:
I have to say after my initial use I really like the 28".  The 32" would have been to big to manuver for me.  I know it doesn't seem like to much difference between the two, but for me it would be.  My previous blower was a 24", so I like the increase, but could not fit the 32" through a couple of tight areas.  Given the choice, I prefer more power in most applications.  The 28" has the best power to width ratio according to the stats on paper.  I would be willing to bet it is actually better than that.  I don't think there is any difference between the motors in the 28 and 32.  I  bet the 28 is putting out the same power, only running at a lower RPM perhaps.  Which may mean that the 28" motor isn't working as hard and may outlive the other.  Ofcourse, if this is the case you could easily bump up the RPM a touch to get the same power as the 32".  One benefit is the 28" will probably also run a bit longer on a tank as well.

Glad you're happy and enjoying your new purchase.  I originally wanted a 28" but they didn't have the exact configuration in stock so I just went up on the size.  I really like the HS928 for overall size and balance.

One additional benefit of the 28" is that you will be getting more exercise.  On your 40' x 150' driveway, you'll need to make at least two additional passes and (300 foot more walking distance).  This maybe a benefit or additional work for you.  Not thats a bad thing.  I enjoy snowblowing so there's no hurry to get it done.  I would snowblow my neighbors property too, but I don't want the parents getting mad at me for trying to get their kids off the butt away from the Nintendo and do some yard work.  Heheh.

Since the engine is the same, isn't there someway to modify the engine so that you can select the normal and "boosted" mode on the fly?

Replies: 7 - 16 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42