Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 28 or 32 inch Simplicity Pro Signature?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pgill

28 or 32 inch Simplicity Pro Signature?
Original Message   Dec 31, 2008 4:23 am
I had possed this question in the previous thread I had created, but I am posting it again here in hopes of getting some quick feedback.  I have purchased the 28inch model, but could change my mind if I call in the morning before they deliver it.

As far as my Simplicity goes, the dealer had both the 28 and 32 inch pro models.  I really debated between the two, as there was only a $200.00 difference.  I thought the 28" would be the way to go for the best power to width ratio, and the motors are the same as far as I can tell.  Dealers seem think it is only a tweak in the carb, or higher RPM that gives the 32"  the extra hp.  I don't mind the smaller cut, as either is bigger than my old machine, but what got me wondering was the tires.  between the two they are the same height, but the 32" has a significantly wider tire.  Will it drive through the heavy stuff much better, or does the added width of the auger make it equal again? 

I could probably call first thing in the morning and switch to the 32" if it was much better.  I was thinking the 28" should be equal because of the narrower width, it also felt like it had a little more weight up front than 32" which I hoped would help the augers to bite in a little more.  I thought that was odd since it was smaller up front, but the dealer thought so as well as we were looking at them.

I was also wondering if others typically use the wieghts that can be added on, and/or chains on the wheels?  Does anyone feel they make much difference, or recommend to get them or not?  Also, I asked the dealer to fill it with a synthetic oil.  Seems everything is going that way so I figure why not.  They said they would pick up some Ams Oil from the dealer down the road from them.  For future use, does anyone recommend something like Mobile One or Ams oil, others?  Perhaps a particular type of grease as well?  Wish I thought of asking the dealer what grease they use, I could have asked them to switch that as well if needed.  I'm sure it will be good enough to get me started, then I'll hit it with the grease gun anyway.

I like the 28 inch, just thought I would see if someone experienced with these things thought I should really go with 32 inch for some reason while I still have a choice.

Replies: 17 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: 28 or 32 inch Simplicity Pro Signature?
Reply #17   Jan 2, 2009 1:08 pm
If you're talking about the B&S 200000 series 305cc engine.  It's the same power.  I know it's marketed as a 9 to 11 h.p. engine.  They are either all very powerful 9 h.p. engines or 11 h.p. engines.  Mine's rated at 9.5 h.p.  I'd say 9.5 going on 11. 

Go to the B&S site, download their parts diagrams for the lowest rated 305cc engine then get the same for the highest rated 305cc engine.  Compare every part and tell me how many you find that are different. 

pgill

Reply #18   Jan 2, 2009 1:33 pm
borat wrote:
If you're talking about the B&S 200000 series 305cc engine.  It's the same power.  I know it's marketed as a 9 to 11 h.p. engine.  They are either all very powerful 9 h.p. engines or 11 h.p. engines.  Mine's rated at 9.5 h.p.  I'd say 9.5 going on 11. 

Go to the B&S site, download their parts diagrams for the lowest rated 305cc engine then get the same for the highest rated 305cc engine.  Compare every part and tell me how many you find that are different. 

Not sure what series the engine is, have to go outside and look sometime.  It is a B&S intek snow, but I believe it's 342cc 11.5hp.  The 32" pro series is also 342cc B&S rated for 13hp.  I'll have to look at the B&S site sometime for the fun of it.  Seems to have plenty of power anyway!
borat

Reply #19   Jan 2, 2009 1:39 pm
Being the larger 210000 series it's likely putting out 13 h.p.  Do a cross reference of parts sometime.  I'd be interested to see if the the 342cc  engines have any different parts across the power spectrum.
Replies: 17 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42