Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > NEW HONDA 1132TAS engine/carb problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
zekeman

NEW HONDA 1132TAS engine/carb problem
Original Message   Dec 30, 2008 4:55 am
Just picked up a new Honda 1132 TAS and I am having a problem with the carb/engine. It seems as though there is only a slight defference between the slow throttle setting and the fast setting. I took the carb cover off and the throttle linkage is moving fine although it will not stay in the upper most fast setting unless I hold it there with the throttle lever so I adjusted(tightened) the locknut on the throttle lever and that seemed to help alot to hold it at fast idle BUT the locknut will keep loosening up as you use the throttle from slow to fast...Also the fast idle surges up and down and as I mentioned the slow and fast difference is not that great, example: As I move the throttle lever slowly from slow to fast there is no noticeable difference(no variable speed of the engine) until I get to fast and even that seems just a bit more than slow, I think possibly the slow idle setting is set too high..This is too bad especially on a new HONDA 3000.00 machine. Anyone have any thoughts?.. I also should mention that I still own my HS828 tracked Honda and the throttle control on that works like a charm from really low to high and anywhere in between.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
zekeman

Re: NEW HONDA 1132TAS engine/carb problem
Reply #11   Dec 31, 2008 6:28 am
Forgot to mention that Honda parts wanted $4.50 plus $4.00 shipping for the locknut and I paid .50 from my local hardware store..not bad
aa335

Reply #12   Dec 31, 2008 12:22 pm
zekeman wrote:
Forgot to mention that Honda parts wanted $4.50 plus $4.00 shipping for the locknut and I paid .50 from my local hardware store..not bad

Isn't amazing how much they charge for these little things?  I ordered the shear pins on line but I am getting the 6mm locknut for the shear pin from local hardware store. 
borat

Reply #13   Dec 31, 2008 12:42 pm
aa335 wrote:
Isn't amazing how much they charge for these little things?  I ordered the shear pins on line but I am getting the 6mm locknut for the shear pin from local hardware store. 

Dealerships gouge big time when it comes to parts.  That's where the gold is.   Mark up is out of this world.  Five hundred to 1000 percent is not uncommon.   For instance, that nylock nut can be bought for as cheaply as ten to fifteen cents.    They sell if for $4.50.   At ten cents, that reflects a mark up of four thousand five hundred percent (4500%).   That's nuts!     I refuse to buy parts from a dealership that can be obtained somewhere else.  It's like throwing money out the window.  Even belts are unnecessarily expensive at a dealer.  I take my old belt to a bearing supply outlet, tell them what the belt is used for and they sell me a replacement for one fourth the cost at a dealership.  I thoroughly understand that a dealer has to make a buck, but $4.50 for a single lock nut?  Please...  It's examples like that which dealerships should be embarrassed to try to pull off.  It's gouging at it's extreme.  I had to buy three 5 mm stainless steel screws for one of my bikes the other day.  I went to my usual Fastenal dealer and they just gave them to me.  No charge.  They do that every time I go in for one or two fasteners.  As much as I appreciate their generosity. I leave them a buck for the screws just the same.   Mark up on parts is hideous at a dealership. 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #14   Dec 31, 2008 1:09 pm
mech12 wrote:
if you purchased this new ,  take it back or to a certified honda dealer. once you mess with it the warranty is NO GOOD.  i have had to do this in my shop,  nothing worse than the backyard guy that thinks with a book he can fix anything. i had a new unit come in and he had carb parts in a plastic bag.   he was miffed that he got charged... i voided his warranty.  tough lesson ..... 

I could understand (maybe) your charging him for the carb assembly repair.  However, if you determined that the machine was a-ok in all repects after that, voiding his warranty is not called for.Is your business so successful that you can treat customers this way?

The guy would have gotten better treatment at Sears!

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
aa335

Reply #15   Dec 31, 2008 1:22 pm
borat wrote:
Dealerships gouge big time when it comes to parts.  That's where the gold is.   Mark up is out of this world.  Five hundred to 1000 percent is not uncommon.   For instance, that nylock nut can be bought for as cheaply as ten to fifteen cents.    They sell if for $4.50.   At ten cents, that reflects a mark up of four thousand five hundred percent (4500%).   That's nuts!     I refuse to buy parts from a dealership that can be obtained somewhere else.  It's like throwing money out the window.  Even belts are unnecessarily expensive at a dealer.  I take my old belt to a bearing supply outlet, tell them what the belt is used for and they sell me a replacement for one fourth the cost at a dealership.  I thoroughly understand that a dealer has to make a buck, but $4.50 for a single lock nut?  Please...  It's examples like that which dealerships should be embarrassed to try to pull off.  It's gouging at it's extreme.  I had to buy three 5 mm stainless steel screws for one of my bikes the other day.  I went to my usual Fastenal dealer and they just gave them to me.  No charge.  They do that every time I go in for one or two fasteners.  As much as I appreciate their generosity. I leave them a buck for the screws just the same.   Mark up on parts is hideous at a dealership. 

I understand they have to make a buck or two to stay in business, but this is not making money, it's robbery.   The other day, I went in the dealership to purchase skid shoes.  After being passed on from the snowblower sales guy to the parts sales guy, I was quoted $50 for a pair of skid shoes.  I asked "That much for skid shoes???"  He said yes with a straight face.  Then I asked, " Does that include sales tax?".  He said "No, with tax it comes out to $55."  I politely thanked him for his time looking up the parts but I I will pass.  After minute tooling behind the computer, he comes back and said "That also includes all the hardware" as if he was giving me the deal of the century.  I guess it would be a bargain if he had charged me $6 for each one of those 8mm bolts and washers.  Again, I politely thanked him but declined. 

Just a week before going to the dealership, I called this same dealership and asked about the same part for price and availability, I was quoted $43.  I found online for $39 but have to pay for shipping.  So with tax buying locally, it was about the a buck or two difference.  Somehow a week later and showing up in person to pick it up, the price jumped $7 from $43 to $50.  Amazing!  I felt like the guy behind the parts counter was making up any price and if I was willing to pay, it is good for him.

This sort of things is probably why we are such a disposable society.  It costs to much to go to dealership to find parts and service things ourselves.  Just buy a new one every few years and not deal with the headaches of looking for parts and getting ripped off.

I'm all for supporting my local business and the sales tax goes to my town, but when have to hand them my shirt to keep them in business, I go elsewhere.

aa335

Reply #16   Dec 31, 2008 1:26 pm
mml4 wrote:
I could understand (maybe) your charging him for the carb assembly repair.  However, if you determined that the machine was a-ok in all repects after that, voiding his warranty is not called for.Is your business so successful that you can treat customers this way?

The guy would have gotten better treatment at Sears!

Marc

The customer was not  treated fairly.  He got a lesson by paying through the nose and left a bitter taste in his mouth.  I doubt this would bring repeated business. 
borat

Reply #17   Dec 31, 2008 2:00 pm
Here's a tip to save money on skids. 

Go to a scrap yard and buy 14" of  1" x 1/4" flat bar.  The harder the better.  Cut it in half and bend the ends up slightly.  Take the shaped pieces of flat bar and the skids off of your snow thrower and go to a welding shop.  Have them weld the flat bar to the bottom of the skid just shy of being flush with the mounting side.  Clean them up and paint them if you want then attach to your machine.  You should be set for at least twenty years depending on hardness of the steel plate.    Welding might cost you $30.00 at a shop if you're paying for it. 

mech12

Reply #18   Jan 2, 2009 2:31 pm

if customers would read the owners manual, it clearly states only authorized dealers can do repairs.  if all these people can fix stuff why is my industry always looking for mechanics. if you had a problem with your new car and started tinkering with it and brought a bag into the dealership with sensors and maybe a throttle plate would they say thanks for the help  we wont charge you.   NO WAY..  the warranty clearly states a defect in manufacturing or workmanship.  i have had some tecumseh carbs come thur leaking gas,  the rubber seat was in upside down.  warranty covered this.  lets use this as an example.. he brings this carb in to me all dissassembled... from looking at stuff in bag would i be able to determine this.. no

borat

Reply #19   Jan 2, 2009 2:46 pm
mech12 wrote:

if customers would read the owners manual, it clearly states only authorized dealers can do repairs.  if all these people can fix stuff why is my industry always looking for mechanics. if you had a problem with your new car and started tinkering with it and brought a bag into the dealership with sensors and maybe a throttle plate would they say thanks for the help  we wont charge you.   NO WAY..  the warranty clearly states a defect in manufacturing or workmanship.  i have had some tecumseh carbs come thur leaking gas,  the rubber seat was in upside down.  warranty covered this.  lets use this as an example.. he brings this carb in to me all dissassembled... from looking at stuff in bag would i be able to determine this.. no

Is there a factory representative standing over your shoulder every time you do a repair?  A lot the decision is at your discretion.  If you know there is a problem with a carb and a guy is in a hard place, tries to fix it and can't, there's no way you could just put the carb back together for him, put it through as warranty work and leave it at that?  After all, bringing it to you in parts saved you the time to take it off and dis-assemble it right?  Cut your work in half.  You put it through as warranty work and you're money ahead.   Voiding the guy's warranty, particularly if there's a known problem that he tried to fix is a cheap shot.   One of the many reasons I love to deal with dealerships.    
aa335

Reply #20   Jan 2, 2009 3:12 pm
mech12 wrote:

I see you point.  However, not many people read manuals these days.  It's littered with "cautions" and "warnings" in multiple locations to appease the lawyers.  I struggle sometimes what is a caution and what is warning.  Yes, it is clearly stated in black and white (or red) not to mess around with your snowblower or your warranty will be voided.  After reading a page or two full of bold text and red and white, I stopped reading those repeated warnings and cautions and scan for the smaller text.  That's what's important to me, it has useful information and it has not been repeated 20 pages before it.   Having said that, I still believe in "RTFM" (Read The Fantastic Manual) before operating any piece of equipment.

I agree that it is not possible or easy to troubleshoot what failed when a customer bring you a bag of parts.   It's not like bringing a disassembled automatic transmission.  Those stuff in the little bag can be put back together like a jigsaw puzzle and you can then file the warranty claim, I suggests.  It is at your discretion whether the customer disassembly of parts constitutes more or less time to fix it properly.  Now if you don't like your customer and like to stick the legalese warranty policy to him, that's at your discretion too.  However, that customer also have brother, sisters, uncles, aunts, ect.. that may need/want to buy or service equipment.  Wouldn't you want your customer base to expand?

This message was modified Jan 2, 2009 by aa335
Replies: 11 - 20 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42