Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow thrower cab

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

Snow thrower cab
Original Message   Dec 9, 2008 5:08 pm
I asked this question as part of another post but thought that it would get a better response if I posted it as a stand alone thread.  I am considering a snow cab for my snow thrower.  First do you think that they are a good investment or is a snow thrower better without one?  Second, if you do have one and think that they are worth the effort to buy and install, which one would you recomend?  Borat, gave me a nice link in the other thread and there is a how to install video that I found interesting here: http://www.classicaccessories.com/instructions/.

How important is it to have one that has the easy on, easy off feature.  It was toughted as good for storage.  Thanks for the input,

Rick

Replies: 33 - 42 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
bill46

Re: Snow thrower cab
Reply #33   Dec 27, 2008 11:09 am
I'm in the process of installing a Classic snow thrower cab, yep, it does take 3 hours to install but from what you are all saying, its worth it the effort.  When you install it take your time, don't rush.  My question is, Classic provides a bag to install on the auger housing as a counter weight, is it worth installing?
Clay

Reply #34   Dec 27, 2008 11:24 am
I think that the counter weight is dependant on your machine balance point.  On my snow thrower I did not install it because I didn't like the way that it mounted to the unit ( two bolts make dents in the metal of the thrower).  I thought that it would be a source of rust. 

On taking 3 hours, mine took me about an hour and I am a putzer, in other words, I check and recheck and then fiddle and then think some more.  With the Deluxe version I laid out all of the parts so that I could find the right ones first.  Then since it was in the single digits outside, I built the entire removeable cab in the heated comfort of my living room.  It was pretty basic:  LF (lower front) to UF (upper front) for two of the four sides.  LR (Lower rear or was it lower back?) to UR (upper rear) for two more of the four sides.  Put the other brace pieces on to make the removeable top and then put the skin on.  The parts to the machine were to cross sections and two verticle sections.  If you have to continually search for the right part or try and put it all together in the cold, it could take much longer. 

No matter how it gets done, you're going to love it.  After using mine for a few times I had to run a machine without a cab and I really missed it and found it frustrating to come back into the house all snow covered again.

borat

Reply #35   Dec 27, 2008 2:18 pm
I did the same as Clay.  Built the upper part of the cab inside.  It was much more comfortable and the fabric was easier to work with when it was warm.  Mine took around an hour and a half or so.  I wasn't being paid to do it and wasn't in a hurry so why rush.   I'm certain you'll enjoy it.   
rtlowe

Reply #36   Dec 27, 2008 6:52 pm
I found the Ariens cab to be of a better quality than others at the time I purchased mine..

Clay

Reply #37   Dec 27, 2008 7:38 pm
I might very well agree with you.  I paid $81 for my Classic Accessories from Sears with a price match and another 10% off.  The real question for me was it worth over twice as much.
borat

Reply #38   Dec 27, 2008 8:15 pm
Clay wrote:
I might very well agree with you.  I paid $81 for my Classic Accessories from Sears with a price match and another 10% off.  The real question for me was it worth over twice as much.

Personally, I can't see the Ariens snow cab being that much better than the Classic.  If it had stainless steel tubing, maybe so.  However, it has steel tubing of the same diameter as that of the classic.  The classic frame is powder coated.  Not sure if the Ariens is.   The fasteners and brackets are very robust on the Classic as well.  The only area that could possibly be better on the Ariens would have to be the fabric.  I have trouble believing that it would be that much better to be worth more than twice the price of the Classic.  In my opinion, the fabric and plastic on the Classic are very good quality.  I own a portable ice fishing shack that I've had for twenty years and it's tough.  The fabric on the ice shack looks the same and feels to be the same  thickness as the fabric on the Classic.    As we are all aware, brand names, (particularly well established brands) exact a premium price for their name.  There's a very good chance that the additional money  for the Ariens is for the exalted privilege  to carry the Ariens colour and name.  I'll go Classic black and keep the extra cash in my pocket.  Thank you.   
aa335

Reply #39   Dec 31, 2008 12:25 am
nhmatt wrote:
Get a snow suit.  About the same money and you can get more than one use out of it.  Also you don't have to stop and wipe the snow off the window to see where you're going.

Check this video out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJ-pbJ2V2g

Clay

Reply #40   Dec 31, 2008 11:01 am
aa335 wrote:
Check this video out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJ-pbJ2V2g

That guy is proof of what a snow cab can do for you.  He looks more like Frosty the snow man than anything else.  Made me shiver just watching that guy.  My pants get some snow blow back now, but I am not covered in that stuff any longer.  Still great investment.
borat

Reply #41   Dec 31, 2008 12:18 pm
I rest my case.
aa335

Reply #42   Dec 31, 2008 3:01 pm
borat wrote:
I rest my case.

Ok.  I couldn't resist.  Just one more.  I present you Exhibit B.  "Frosty the Snow-Woman"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vydk36FYlGc

This message was modified Dec 31, 2008 by aa335
Replies: 33 - 42 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42