Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Grease and lubrication choices

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Cannuck

Grease and lubrication choices
Original Message   Dec 17, 2008 12:42 pm
Hello all.

Just having purchased a new snow blower and being not all that mechanically inclined (not alot of grease in the garage) I was wondering where to apply, what types and what brand names of greases and lubricants that I should use before I put the machine into service to ensure proper operation and longevity.  I have a Simplicity 1428E (from dealer and "set up" by him) and was hoping to be able to pick the materials up at a local store so please try to keep the products as common as possible.  Any other tips regarding a pre-start check list would be appreciated.  Do not be afraid to go slow and dull it down for me as you will not be insulting.  Thanks for your comments.

Cannuck

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Underdog

Re: Grease and lubrication choices
Reply #2   Dec 19, 2008 9:31 am
I have been using this stuff. Its a marine grease with anti-seize added. As the product's name implies its very tacky.

Borat provided some good grease options in the thread he started recently: http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/32634-0-1.html

This message was modified Dec 19, 2008 by Underdog

GaryBy

Reply #3   Dec 21, 2008 1:16 pm
What about lubing the wheels?  A couple of posts recommended anti-seize, but somehow the stuff I used to use on my car's spark plugs (way back when) doesn't seem right.  Is there something special?  Or just the same grease out of the grease gun that I'd us on zerk fittings?
IMMike

Reply #4   Dec 21, 2008 4:14 pm
  Use white lithium grease on the wheel shafts.  You can get white lithium in small-ish tubes that make it easier to deal with when you're not using a great deal of it.

I.M.Mike
pvrp

Reply #5   Dec 21, 2008 4:37 pm
When I prepped my new machine, using a regular size tube of grease, I bought a
cheap set of long artist brushes to scoop out the grease and paint it onto bolts and
shafts and such.  Made getting it into the wheel hubs an easy matter.  For the
wheels I applied grease both to the axle and in the hub.  Install the wheel then
clean up the mess.  I went through several rolls of paper towels...

Paul
IMMike

Reply #6   Dec 21, 2008 4:47 pm
 The 'industry standard' for this task is acid brushes.  They're intended to be disposable, but they're also made to brush on plumber's acid flux, which is the consistency of vaseline, so they're stiff enough to push grease around.  Those artist's brushes probably work just fine, but I thought I'd put in my two cents.

I.M.Mike
snowstorm

Reply #7   Dec 26, 2008 3:17 pm
When you select grease for a snow blower, you need to look for the following three properties:

1) High "water (snow / slush) washout" resistance;
2) High "corrosion" resistance (including salty environment); and
3) High "wheel bearing" protection.

Most grease manufacturer will provide you with vague statements (if any) about the three properties listed above.

However, TIMKEN produces a complete line of different greases that are suitable for many applications, with each one having its own specific properties (see document in the link bellow).

The grease to be used for snow blowers is the TIMKEN BLUE for "Ball Bearing Pillow Block". This grease meets the requirement listed above.

www.timken.com/en-us/products/lubrication/Documents/Grease_082504reference.pdf

/Snow Storm
borat

Reply #8   Dec 26, 2008 5:05 pm
Wouldn't a good snowmobile or marine grease pretty much get the job done?  Been working for me for many, many years.  Never had a lube/corrosion problem yet providing I put the grease to it soon enough.
snowmachine

Reply #9   Dec 26, 2008 10:11 pm
+1

I use the same Amsoil grease I use on the sleds.

borat wrote:
Wouldn't a good snowmobile or marine grease pretty much get the job done?  Been working for me for many, many years.  Never had a lube/corrosion problem yet providing I put the grease to it soon enough.
SteveinID

Reply #10   Jan 1, 2009 12:28 pm
Which grease would be better? The Timken Blue, or the Amsoil Water Resistant?
borat

Reply #11   Jan 1, 2009 12:48 pm
Either one will get the job done.  Buy the one that costs the least.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42