Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > snowblower reliability question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

snowblower reliability question
Original Message   Dec 14, 2008 10:00 am
So who exactly is still making snowblowers with the best parts?I keep reading about ball bearings as opposed to metal bushings or plastic bushings etc?Is it Simplicity?Or Honda?Do they use the better more reliable parts?A store next to me is selling a left over Simplicity Pro model 28" width with the crank handle for the chute rotator not the electric rotator.Would that have the better internal parts?
Replies: 4 - 13 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: snowblower reliability question
Reply #4   Dec 15, 2008 9:05 am
Don't want to spoil the jubilation of all you Ariens fans but let's not forget.  An Ariens salesman is an Ariens salesman.  Of course you're going to hear all the good stuff.  That's his job. 

What I found interesting after reading the article was that he mentioned that many of the components will either last or outlast the designed life of the machine.   My question is, what is the life expectancy of the new Ariens machines?  Will they be around in thirty years like many of the older models?    Coasteray is obviously a very  well informed individual.  His questions are  a very good outline of what he felt might be deficiencies in the newer products compared to the older units.   Not having examined an Ariens to the extent that he has, it becomes abundantly clear that very many changes have been made.  Whether they are positive changes or not is yet to be proved.  Only time will tell.   For some reason, I get the feeling that given the trend toward planned obsolescence in manufacturing these days (washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc.),  the likelihood of a "more durable" machine than the old units might be wishful thinking.  We'll have to wait and see. 

Underdog

Reply #5   Dec 15, 2008 2:59 pm
Then there's always the Chinese import.  Where do they fit into the mix? Isn't this a the heart of the quality issue? Will customers spend $1300 on a Simplicity/Ariens in tough times when they can spend half of that  on a no-name clone? And if they won't or if not enough will, is there a market for quality products?  Have snowblower technologies advanced in any way over the last 20 years?  Few would agree that snowblowers are  better/more reliable products than 20 years ago.  And the primary reason most have lost quality is due to competition.  And yet the market is only getting more competitive.  Are we in for more of the same?  Where will it end?  I have heard of China import snowblowers but this is the first one I have ever seen  ($85 FOB Shanghai):

Engine power: 9.0hp-11hp/6.6kW

• Start mode: electrical start
  • Battery: 12V
  • Lamp: 15W
  • Working width: 70cm
  • Working thickness: 54.5cm
  • Weight: 115kg
  • Dimensions: 140 x 180 x 111cm
  • Oil type: unleaded oil
  • Fuel tank capacity: 6L
  • Lubricant tank capacity: 1.1L
  • Gas needed per hour: 0.8L/hour
  • Type of transmission: friction disc
  • Type of wheel: track
  • Number of gears: five forward/two reverse speed
  • Turnable chute: manually horizontal and vertical
  • Chute one rotating angle: 190 degrees
  • Chute two rotating angle: 70 degrees
  • Certification: EPA/GS
  • Warranty: two years limited warranty
  • Delivery Details:
    FOB Port:
    Ningbo or Shanghai
    FOB Price Range:
    US$ 85 - US$ 100
    Lead Time:
    20 - 35 days

• Package size: 119 x 78 x (78 + 10)cm
  • Loading:
    • 20-foot container: 26 pieces
    • 40-foot FCL container: 60 pieces
    • 40-foot HC container: 90 pieces
This message was modified Dec 15, 2008 by Underdog

pvrp

Reply #6   Dec 15, 2008 10:20 pm
85$ !!  That's actually pretty funny.  Just buy one for each storm and throw it away after.
Not only would you be ahead financially but it wouldn't take up any room in the garage.

Paul
snowmachine

Reply #7   Dec 15, 2008 11:01 pm
A few videos of these Chinese GIOVANNI blowers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMLb9H-TRLw&lt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFMwAek7S3k&lt

Looks like similar model under different brand name. Also another video on this site.

http://www.zonemotos.com/souffleuses.html
This message was modified Dec 18, 2008 by snowmachine
Snowmann

Reply #8   Dec 15, 2008 11:14 pm
borat wrote:
Don't want to spoil the jubilation of all you Ariens fans but let's not forget.  An Ariens salesman is an Ariens salesman.  Of course you're going to hear all the good stuff.  That's his job. 

What I found interesting after reading the article was that he mentioned that many of the components will either last or outlast the designed life of the machine.   My question is, what is the life expectancy of the new Ariens machines?  Will they be around in thirty years like many of the older models?    Coasteray is obviously a very  well informed individual.  His questions are  a very good outline of what he felt might be deficiencies in the newer products compared to the older units.   Not having examined an Ariens to the extent that he has, it becomes abundantly clear that very many changes have been made.  Whether they are positive changes or not is yet to be proved.  Only time will tell.   For some reason, I get the feeling that given the trend toward planned obsolescence in manufacturing these days (washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc.),  the likelihood of a "more durable" machine than the old units might be wishful thinking.  We'll have to wait and see. 

Sorry Borat, I'm not a salesman, and like most folks here, my paycheck is earned doing something other than surfing the internet at night perusing these postings. I am simply interested in the opinions here and have knowledge to share to help others. There is no sales pitch in any of my postings. I've not indicated anything other than factual details and technical assistance in my 6 years on this forum (or 3 on the other). There is explanation and supporting information with everything that I've written.

That said, I'm wondering about your "sales pitch". You've indicated in several posts that your Simplicity 9528 is built better than Ariens models, but only make a general reference to "bearings versus bushings". Can you clarify to us all what you're referring to in more explicit detail?

BTW, the Ariens' life target is 20 years. The machines can surpass this requirement with great consistency and can last longer with proper care (as many legacy units have done). And yes, many changes have been made. Manufacturing technology has evolved much since the "good old days" so to speak. Cars last twice as long now (maybe not Chryslers, heh...); with good engineering there is no reason to think a snowblower cannot last as long as its predecessors even without metaphoric Muncie "Rock Crusher" tranny's and Ford 9" rear ends. 

Sometimes it seems we are all standing around a GTO Judge saying "they don't make them like this any more" when there is an Acura TL sitting right next to it that spanks it in 0-60 and the quarter mile and lasts 3 times longer (no offense to anyone who likes Chryslers or hates foreign cars, and I'm not sure where all these muscle car thoughts came from...?, and I know the TL has nothing on the looks of a Judge...).

PK
This message was modified Dec 16, 2008 by Snowmann
PACKO

Reply #9   Dec 15, 2008 11:17 pm
Possibly as good or better then a lower cost U.S unit. ...............
borat

Reply #10   Dec 16, 2008 1:58 pm
"That said, I'm wondering about your "sales pitch". You've indicated in several posts that your Simplicity 9528 is built better than Ariens models, but only make a general reference to "bearings versus bushings". Can you clarify to us all what you're referring to in more explicit detail? "

I think your post over at OPE pretty much summed up the differences between the new Ariens machines which in my view are not built to the same standards as the present day Simplicity products.  Coasteray highlighted most, if not all of the items that he seems to think were changes in manufacturing practices that do not appear to be as robust as those found in older Ariens machines and are still available on Simplicity products, such as bearings, cast iron gear cases etc. etc.  Therefore, I do not see the need to re-hash them here.  You have put forth your position that you feel the new Ariens machines will be better than the legacy products and my position is that only time will tell if in fact that is true.   From the frequent number of complaints about Ariens machines recently, it doesn't take too much imagination to see that something is amiss.   Every manufacturer that makes changes to their product by incorporating less expensive components and construction techniques will alway explain it away as "improvements".   I assume that those same "improvements" have been the cause of the decline in the durability of large appliances and other products that historically had lasted twenty year or more but now are lucky to last five years.   I've been around too long to believe that cheaper components will extend the life of any product.  I believe that many others know this as well.   

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #11   Dec 16, 2008 2:54 pm
I Agree with Borat.
This message was modified Dec 16, 2008 by hirschallan

coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #12   Dec 17, 2008 2:04 am
It's ironic with all my questions from the other forum that there isn't a dealer within 60 miles or more from my home that actually carries Simplicity snow blowers, so I can't even take a look at them any time I want, good as they seem to be, to compare them with Ariens.  I saw one John Deere cousin the other day, and that was the 1332 model.  Simplicity models probably look like that one.  At least I have their new brochure.

I suppose that somewhat explains the inquiry about Ariens, besides the fact that there are plenty of Ariens dealers in my area. I can also access Toro, Husqvarna, Honda, and John Deere, but Simplicity?  Nope, not yet.  I have always had a liking for Ariens blowers, though my only experience with them has been at my school job with the ST1032 tank (with a cab) from the early 1990's.  We should all want Ariens' blowers to have an excellent build to last a long time because it's obviously good for all of us and the industry.   It's also hard to say what Briggs will do to Simplicity/Snapper/John Deere blowers over time.  Yeah, I guess only time will tell about any company's machines. 

However, hats off to Snowmann for the very honest and detailed look inside the Ariens machines from his engineering viewpoint.  I think we needed to know this.

I'm glad this discussion has been able to traverse two forums.  We all need to know this material, and I'm not only referring to Ariens, but Toro and Simplicity/Snapper/John Deere as well.   Well, Honda, too, but they cost  too much, and don't even have Easy Turn, power steering, or a differential. 

We all just want to see high-quality machines to be made well into the future.   Here's hoping the biggies will continue in that long tradition.

Geez, $85 Chinese blowers.  Give me a break.  I think I'll go out and buy that Troy-Bilt "Storm 3090" I saw at Lowe's (heh, heh...)

Off to Los Angeles for a week.  A break from our arctic weather and coming snowstorms in this week's forecasts.  Merry Christmas, everyone!
This message was modified Dec 17, 2008 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
nibbler

$85
Reply #13   Dec 17, 2008 9:56 am
I suspect that either a "0" is missing from the end of the price or that is the bulk shipping price. I.E. Order 1,000 and its $85 per unit to ship them FOB somewhere

I'd also like to add my thanks to Snowman for his comments. The posting on the other forum was very good.

Comment on the less expensive material debate. Sometimes it has to do with availability of materials. For instance, my parents built their house using concrete blocks just after world war II. Basement rooms were only a certain size to minimize the span of the floor joists. It took time to build but looked and was very robust. Nowadays most basements use one or more steel I beams with jack posts to do the load bearing. You end up with more open space and more "decorating" options. Its faster and less expensive to do it that way ... now. I've always felt that ball and roller bearings were "better" but I can see that a lot depends on the details of implementation as to which is actually better for a particular application. In addition when you engineer a product there are always tradeoffs, thats why space shuttles cost more than large air craft.

Borat is correct in saying time is the ultimate tester but at the same time I think Snowman has done a lot to alleviate my concerns. either way I still lust for snow machines that I am still saving my pennies for.
This message was modified Dec 17, 2008 by nibbler
Replies: 4 - 13 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42