Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens vs Simplicity: Winner Simplicity

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Cannuck

Ariens vs Simplicity: Winner Simplicity
Original Message   Dec 13, 2008 12:04 am
Hello all

Thanks for all of your posts concerning my decision regarding a snowblower choice.  It is a priveledge to have access to such a knowledgable bunch.  At the end of the day, weighting all options and pros and cons, I have pulled the trigger and purchased the Simplicity 1428E.  It will be delivered tommorw.  I was wondering if anyone could go through the process or forward myself a list of what should been done before, during, and after the first and subsequent uses of the machine.  Keep in mind that I may be a little mechanically challenged so please take it slow.  For the first time in my life I am thinking a blizzard may not be a bad thing...  Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cannuck

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Clay

Re: Ariens vs Simplicity: Winner Simplicity
Reply #1   Dec 13, 2008 8:52 am
While, by no means any kind of expert, bluntly I am learning myself, I have picked up a few good pointers from others on this board and this should get you started until other with more knowledge of your specific machine step in. 

Lube axles, this is something that is as simple as pulling a cotter pin on many models and removing the wheel.  Putting some grease on the shaft and putting it back together.  There are all kinds of grease, but white Lithium grease is readily available and is a good product.

Lube the Auger shaft.  My particular unit has a couple of shear pins that will have to be removed first and the shaft can be loosened up and removed.  Just lube the shaft under the augers themselves. 

If your unit has any grease zerts give them a squirt or two of grease.  Don't fill them so much as to blow out a seal just one one or two shots from your grease gun.  You can buy an inexpensive grease gun and it will come in handy on your car and I use mine also on my lawn mower deck.  Cheap investment if your thrower has zerts.  To be really basic, and please don't be offended if this is too basic for your knowledge level, a zert is a small nipple that is about the size of the eraser on a pencil that allows grease to go in and lubricate an area or part but does not allow the grease to come out.  If you go to this thread:  http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/32378-0-1.html and the second post in that thread which is written by snowmachine, there is a link to "misc pics of my blower".  If you look through those pictures you will see where he has appliced whilte lithium grease to different parts of that machine and even see pictures of zerts when looking at the area of the auger.  The zerts will have the blue grease on them.  Bluntly this is a good time to say that most of what I am telling youi came from guys like Snowmachine and Borat on this board, but just wanted to give you some help until others responded.

You can spray lube any cable connectors or cables themselves to keep them from freezing up.

It can't hurt to check tire pressure, sometimes this can effect steering if you have a power driven steering control.

Again, this should get you started.  Congrats on youir new machine.

Rick

pvrp

Reply #2   Dec 13, 2008 10:05 am
Clay wrote:

...a zert is a small nipple that is about the size of the eraser on a pencil that allows grease to go in and lubricate
an area or part but does not allow the grease to come out.

Speaking of zerts, is there some trick to getting the grease gun off of one once you're done ?
I've been greasing zerts for decades but I've always had the hardest time unhooking the grease
gun nozzle.  Bend the thing every which way, push, pull, yank and yank and then finally the nozzle
releases and I tear up my hands on whatever sharp object happens to be nearby.

Paul
This message was modified Dec 13, 2008 by pvrp
borat

Reply #3   Dec 13, 2008 10:15 am
Not to offend anyone but, they're Zerk fittings.  Not zert.   If you're having trouble releasing the grease nozzle, something is wrong with it.  I suggest you replace it.  Usually pulling straight back from the Zerk will release it.   
mfduffy

Reply #4   Dec 14, 2008 5:04 pm
I've had the same problem releasing the grease gun from zerks. It actually took the paint off the zerk last year. It sounds like that is not normal?? I'll have to try getting a new nozzle for this gun next spring.
PACKO

Reply #5   Dec 14, 2008 6:54 pm
I have found that some of the Chinese zerk's and nozzles dont work well together. Not inferring that is your problem.
Packo
pvrp

Reply #6   Dec 14, 2008 11:04 pm
PACKO wrote:
I have found that some of the Chinese zerk's and nozzles dont work well together. Not inferring that is your problem.

It might be hard to find a zerk or nozzle these days that isn't Chinese.

Paul
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42