Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Please Help with Snow Blower Selection: Ariens vs Simplicity

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Cannuck

Please Help with Snow Blower Selection: Ariens vs Simplicity
Original Message   Dec 9, 2008 9:10 pm
Hello everyone and greetings from your friendly neighbor from the north.  This is my first post on this site and I am looking for help in selecting a snow blower.  To give you some background I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada beside Lake Ontario.  We receive a wide variety of snow types (wet and dry), and amounts (zero-20 inches).  I am looking to clear two driveways, both flat, each 25-30 feet wide by 30-40 long.  On is asphalt in good condition and the other is a gravel (finely crushed and well packed over the years) also in good condition.  As the snow season is allready underway and this neck of the woods is snow blower deprived I am somewhat limited to my choices.  The limited selection I have does seem quite good.  The two options are: Ariens 927LE, 9hp, 27 inch, Tecumseh snow king L head, aluminum gear box, costing $1434 to my door and Simplicity L1428E 9.5hp, 28 inch, Briggs & Stratton Intex, cast iron gear box costing  $1637 to my door.  The Ariens is from a box store of similar color and the Simplicity is from a dealer who will set it up, start it up and deliver.  I not a experienced mechanic so I feel that this professional set up help would be beneficial.  I originally decided to buy Ariens but through some research and comments on this site am begining to have some doubts in the quality of todays product from Ariens and and worried about the closure of Tecumseh.  I a m not as familiar with Simplicity and have heard concerns regarding their remote chute control freezing.  I do like the fact that Simplicity has a cast iron gear box and feel that the service I receive will be better given the fact that the box store associate informed me that the Ariens repair person does not treat box store purchsees very well and puts them at the bottom of the list.  Is this decision just a personal preference like Chevy or Ford or is there a distinct advantage from one model to the next.  I think that either snow blower will treat me well and like the savings of $200 with the Ariens but would gladly spend the money to get a better, longer lasting machine.  Please help with any comments you have.  Thank you in advance for your comments        
Replies: 2 - 11 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Cannuck

Re: Please Help with Snow Blower Selection: Ariens vs Simplicity
Reply #2   Dec 9, 2008 9:47 pm
Hello Borat.

Thanks for your prompt post.  It was something I read here in a post about the new eletric remote chute controls having problems freezing up.  Not speaking from personal experience.  Your beleif that the Simplicity is a better machine over the modern Ariens is a common trend I have been hearing over the past few days.  Just to pick your brain would that have been true a few years ago or is it a new fad along with the modernization of the Ariens company.  Do you htink having a tech doing the first time set up of the machine is beneficial?  Thanks again.

borat

Reply #3   Dec 9, 2008 10:05 pm
I can't say for sure when the Ariens transition began.  It appears to coincide with the introduction of their products to the box stores.   There are repairmen/dealers on this forum that would probably know if they're willing to admit that it has actually happened. 

If you're not mechanically inclined you might want to ensure the dealer has done a proper maintenance inspection.  Usually a product will have a check list that the dealer is supposed to use when preparing a machine for a customer.  It's supposed to be included in the cost of the product.  Personally, I've yet to buy anything where the dealer had actually carried out the check list requirements let alone complete the  check list.   Ask for the check list and go through it with the dealer if you want to ensure the machine has been properly prepared.  I do my own work.  There's nothing on these machines that I can't deal with and I know how well the work will be done.  Even a product as well built as the Simplicity needs some personal attention.  Primarily in the lubrication of wheels/axles, drive chains, control cables/gears.   Also ensure the cables are adjusted within proper operating tolerances.  Check the air pressure in your tires as well.  Too much pressure will reduce traction.   All of the above should be done by the dealer before you get it.  I'll wager however that much of it will not be done unless you go step by step through the check list with the dealer.   

steelers

Reply #4   Dec 9, 2008 10:09 pm
Others here will be able to help more than I can. I just wanted to add a few things since I was also looking at both of these units

After doing some research, I decided to purchase the Simplicity 1428.  Unfortunately the dealer sold out a few days before my decision.  I liked the heavy duty cast iron gear box and sturdy auger. Not sure if it really matters, but I also wanted the B&S engine on the Simplicity over the Tecumseh on the Ariens (Tecumseh no longer made)

The closest Ariens dealer is 45 minutes away. He carries the 1130DLE, but this unit is just too big to store in my garage.  I spoke with Ariens about the
924DLE, but they are short on engines, so the 924DLE is no longer on the list.  I wanted to stay away from HD because of the discussions of improper assembly. However I spoke with someone at work today about the 624E he bought from HD, and he said it came in a box and he put it together himself.

I checked out the 927LE today and it is also in a box, a very big box mind you. I would put it together myself so at least it would be my fault if I did something wrong. But again, according to the guy I spoke with at work, it sounds like there wasn't much to do.

I also checked out the Toro 826 LE. It's about $300 more than the 927LE. The Toro doesn't have the Fingertip remote lock/unlock axle control, and it comes with an 8hp Tec vs the 9hp on the 927LE. Because of the weight, the Toro does seem to be easier to move around, but it's hard to tell with the unit not fired up.  The chute control on the Toro is slick too.

My main concern with the 927LE was buying from HD. If I buy this unit and have a problem, I'm going to have to lug this beast 45 minutes away. But my concern about HD putting the unit together may no longer be an issue.
Underdog

Reply #5   Dec 9, 2008 10:34 pm
Did you ask when/if they might get more simplicity blowers in. I think that  Snapper make simplicity twin.  Did you check there?  A good dealer is a nice thing to have around. 

Underdog

Reply #6   Dec 9, 2008 10:48 pm
You could scoot over to Fenelon falls (peterborough) and pick up this 11526 with a cast iron gear box.

Craigslist: Commercial Duty Snowblower - $1500 (Fenelon Falls)

Commercial duty 26 inch Ariens Snowblower. Model 11526. Eleven horsepower heavy duty engine, dual stage blower with cast iron gear box. Two years old, shows and runs as new. Electric or manual start. Complete with manuals, light for night operation and electric hand warmers. Location: Fenelon Falls 
(about 2 hours away up Route 401).  This would be my first choice if the owner would send some photos and could convince me that the unit really was like new. Just make sure it's the model with the locking differential.
This message was modified Dec 9, 2008 by Underdog

steelers

Reply #7   Dec 9, 2008 10:52 pm
Underdog wrote:
Did you ask when/if they might get more simplicity blowers in.

Yeah. The dealer tried to order more, but they said they couldn't get any more. I sent an email to Simplicity to verify, but I never got a response.  I don't know of any Snapper dealers in my area.  Might be worth looking into.

I did contact other Simplicity dealers in the area. A couple said no one was buying them, so they stopped carrying them. One said he canceled his order because the shipping charge was too high. Another was ordering the 30 inch cut unit.  The dealer who sold out was charging $1250.00, so that's my expectation.

The new John Deere is very similar to the Simplicity 1428, but the one thing I didn't like was the manual lock/unlock of the wheels. The Simplicity has the remote trigger. The Deere was also $100 more than the Simplicity.
Underdog

Reply #8   Dec 9, 2008 10:58 pm
Sounds like you are really in a pinch finding these.  Personally I would opt for Arien's differential (automatic traction control) over the trigger lock. But  I've only used the trigger in the showroom.  I wonder what folks are saying about the Husqvarna.  The new blowers have hydro drive but no cast iron gear box and not trigger lock. 

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node3295.aspx?nid=84643&pid=78458

This message was modified Dec 9, 2008 by Underdog

pvrp

Reply #9   Dec 9, 2008 11:21 pm
The Ariens differential is really nice.  It keeps power to both wheels all the time, whether you're
turning or not, and turning is as easy as if the wheels were both freewheeling.  To me this feature
alone keeps Ariens above everything else even if its robustness has suffered a bit of late.  It's kind
of surprising that no other manufacturers offer this (that I know of anyway).  And Hondas, for all they
may be, must be just about impossible to turn.

That Husqvarna is a strange beast.  What happens when the snow is higher than those small
augers ?  Like just about any snowbank.  Seems to me that the augers will eat their way under
the snow, then the snow above will jam against the part of the intake that is above the augers,
and then the machine will just stop going forward ?  Doesn't make sense.

Paul
This message was modified Dec 9, 2008 by pvrp
mfduffy

Reply #10   Dec 10, 2008 10:24 pm
I am entering a second winter with my Simplicity 1524. I love it. The machine is great, never bogs down. Turning is easy and intuitive with their trigger control. I have the electric chute control they've been putting on the higher-end series for many years. The motor never even hesitates. I know some feel this frill is unnecessary -- and I can't disagree. But it's really a simple system and a nice convenience. I brush the whole unit down with my car's snow brush when I'm done and have never had any trouble. Last winter, we experienced record snow in SE Wisconsin and we're already ahead of where we were last year at this time! Briggs is a local company for us (I know their mfg is all over) -- that and my respect for the local dealer is what swayed me. It's funny that we never talk about electric start as a feature anymore, because it's always standard. Yet, I haven't used mine since the day I got it. And the B&S OHV always starts on the first pull.

By the way, stay on with this forum -- the folks here are great -- really helpful and knowledgeable.

Good luck!
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #11   Dec 11, 2008 1:19 pm
I see a lot of talk about people saying HD puts the Ariens snow throwers together wrong. But I cannot see this as being a big issue. Seems like some mom and pop dealer hype going on in a way. No doubt you will get better service from a dealer, but as for them being put together wrong. I am unsure if this is such a big deal. It seems to me that most of the unit is assembled at the factory.  Looks like they only flip the handle bars up, put on the chute and connect the rods and cables. Not much to that and if done wrong can easily be adjusted by yourself. Last year when I was looking at purchasing, I would have steered clear of buying at HD for that reason, I didnt have a choice tho as HD didn't have them at all and I started early. I still wonder if HD even carried Ariens last year? They had lots this year and still do for the lower units.  None the less, I am unsure if I would let the assembly rumors hit as hard as they say. If you have some tools and a place to work on the machine, you can probably fix any issues that hd manages to do wrong and I might suggest you do that anyhow as my chute wasn't properly aligned/grease and I bought from a dealer.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
Replies: 2 - 11 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42