Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > HH60 Tecumseh help and advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stryped

HH60 Tecumseh help and advice
Original Message   Dec 8, 2008 10:25 am
I have an HH60 engine on a 1981 or so Troy bilt tiller. It ran fine for years but the summer broke a rod. (I think it was low on oil). I have taken the engine apart. No gouges in the sylinder or holes anywhere. There is a small ridge at the top of the cylinder that you can barely scratch a fingernail on. I put the old piston and rings in and my hand over the top of the cylinder. It seems to have alot of suction/compression when pulling the piston from the bottom.

There is aluminum on the crankshaft . I will try the muratic acid trick I have read elsewhere on here.

Question is, is this worth rebuilding? I like tinkering with stiff but money is a conern. I like this motor because it has electric start on it. ROds are expenesive as the one for my model number says it is 40 bucks.

Should I re-ring it? I have a cylinder hone from harbor freight I bought the other day. I have never used one. I dont have a ridge reamer but might be bale to rent one at Autozone.

It ran well before this happened except now that I recall a week or so before it went, faint white smoke cam out of the exhaust when it was reved up.

ANy advice? Do I need to mike everythign out to an automobile's engine precision or since this is a tiller just clean the crank, bolt a new rod and rings and go with it?

I have been takign off parts and cleaning them. The head did seem to have alot of carbon but was easily cleaned.

I think it may have been rebuilt before as the engine paint is oversprayed in places. The piston was stammped STD which I assumes means it is stadard sized.

Thanks again!

Replies: 11 - 20 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
friiy

Re: HH60 Tecumseh help and advice
Reply #11   Dec 9, 2008 12:24 pm
wow..... I can't find a aftermarket for that rod .    list on the rod is $90

Friiy

stryped

Reply #12   Dec 9, 2008 2:42 pm
Is there anywhere I can get one?
friiy

Reply #13   Dec 9, 2008 5:22 pm
Like you said, They are still online...... I found the same one you you did... about  $41.97...

I would make a list of all the parts you are going to get and add up the cost and check availability....

....I know Tecumseh is stopping production of engines...  this must have been a expensive/ not popular motor for the rod to be so pricey and that no one else makes it...

any luck on a shortblock,  the rod may not be available (that specific rod) but a shortblock may still be available with a newer style of rod (cheaper to get if needed )...

Good luck,

Friiy

stryped

Reply #14   Dec 9, 2008 7:11 pm
where can I find a shortblock? Am I wasting my time or should I buy a cheap pull start briggs? I am working now to get the crank journal cleaned up. It has alumunium on it. Not sure if it will clean up or not. I am learnign alot.

By the way. There is a 3130C or somehtign like that for an HH60 engine. If all HH60's have the same crankpin diameter and throw, why would it not work??? Just thinking out loud.

borat

Reply #15   Dec 9, 2008 7:20 pm
Check this site out to see if they have a suitable replacement engine.  They sell all kinds of brands and many levels of durability ratings.  Their prices are very good as well.  

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/default.asp

friiy

Reply #16   Dec 10, 2008 12:49 am
Just get in the phone book for starters with you modle and type/ serial....   Any good Tecumseh dealer should be able to give you a price (if available).... if you can get a shortblock part# ...   or email some of the dealers/ wharehouses on the web.  They should be able to quote you a price....  

I would be real leary of just ording a rod for a hh60....   I have ordered rods before and found the journal the wrong diameter because I wrote the serial or type down wrong..

I would call a few dealers in your area and ask if they have a new old stock rod for your engine or and aftermarket form a company like Rotory  Corporation or Billlues.(spelling?).

This is the rod you are talking about (aftermarket).   call this place up, ask them their opinion...  Can't hurt...

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb_more_info.cfm?part_num=510218&format=site_search

Friiy

trouts2

Reply #17   Dec 10, 2008 2:05 am

FOR>>  "As far as the mageto, I read somewhere the only adjustment was to turn it counterclockwise as far as it will go before tightening screws."

If you are refereing to the points enclosure then no.  There's a procedure for setting the location. 

The rod for your engine 34750 is in the drawing below, instock for 31.42.   It's listed at TulsaEngineWarehouse online see below:

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/pdf/Tecumseh/TECUMSEH-MODEL-HH60-105116H-PARTS-LIST.pdf

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-8671&category=TecumsehPDF&maxhits=5&keywords=105116H&go=GO%21

http://tewarehouse.com/34750

Item:  34750

CONN ROD

Sale Price: $31.42Qty:      

In Stock: Available

34750 CONN ROD ** Tecumseh Special Order Item. Allow 1-2 extra days for delivery.

David

This message was modified Dec 10, 2008 by trouts2
stryped

Reply #18   Dec 10, 2008 8:31 am
Thanks so much. I guess 31 bucks is not bad. Part of me wants to just buy a 200 dollar 5 horse Brigs and be done with it but I already have the thing apart and am learnign alot.

One think I am worried about is once I get all this aluminum off the crank that my journal might ba a little undersized. Will this be a huge problem. I will say this thing ran great right until the rod broke.

I am afraid of putting too much money in this in case it is a failure. I am thinking rod, rings, basic gaskets. What do you guys think? DO I need anythign else?

I am really, really intrigued on what the actual difference would be between the 34750 rod and the 3180C rod. The specifications for the crankpin and throw are the same. When I have looked online at ebay the inside of the cases look the same with the exception of one has a place for a crankshaft bearing and ones like mine use bushings.  I really wonder if they are interchangeable? Does anyone know what the difference would be? I have yet to find an actual picture of the 34750 rod.

By the way, I called every local Techumseh dealer and non of them have new old stock for the rod.

stryped

update
Reply #19   Dec 10, 2008 1:56 pm
It seems no one has the 37450 rod. I checked with the guys at Tulsa and they did not have it either. Someone else emailed me and thought the 3180C would work, that the only difference was the other number had a separat oil dipper that attached to the rod bolts where the 3180C was a one piece unit. But I am not sure if he knows for sure or not.

I have found the 3180C on AMazon for 17 dollars. WOuld it be stupid as a learning experience to get this but it back togther bare bones with maybe new rings and see what happens?

I did email the company that makes the 3180C and they said it shows it should work. Again, not getting definite answers.

techjunkiedb

Reply #20   Jan 6, 2009 9:08 am
Hi Stryped.  I, too, am looking for a 34750 connecting rod.  Did you determine if the 31380C would work?

I've had local dealers call Tecumseh directly to help determine this... to no avail.  They are unwilling to give any information.

Thanks in advance,  Techjunkiedb (Dan)

Replies: 11 - 20 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42