Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > HH60 Tecumseh help and advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stryped

HH60 Tecumseh help and advice
Original Message   Dec 8, 2008 10:25 am
I have an HH60 engine on a 1981 or so Troy bilt tiller. It ran fine for years but the summer broke a rod. (I think it was low on oil). I have taken the engine apart. No gouges in the sylinder or holes anywhere. There is a small ridge at the top of the cylinder that you can barely scratch a fingernail on. I put the old piston and rings in and my hand over the top of the cylinder. It seems to have alot of suction/compression when pulling the piston from the bottom.

There is aluminum on the crankshaft . I will try the muratic acid trick I have read elsewhere on here.

Question is, is this worth rebuilding? I like tinkering with stiff but money is a conern. I like this motor because it has electric start on it. ROds are expenesive as the one for my model number says it is 40 bucks.

Should I re-ring it? I have a cylinder hone from harbor freight I bought the other day. I have never used one. I dont have a ridge reamer but might be bale to rent one at Autozone.

It ran well before this happened except now that I recall a week or so before it went, faint white smoke cam out of the exhaust when it was reved up.

ANy advice? Do I need to mike everythign out to an automobile's engine precision or since this is a tiller just clean the crank, bolt a new rod and rings and go with it?

I have been takign off parts and cleaning them. The head did seem to have alot of carbon but was easily cleaned.

I think it may have been rebuilt before as the engine paint is oversprayed in places. The piston was stammped STD which I assumes means it is stadard sized.

Thanks again!

Replies: 1 - 31 of 31View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 31 of 31View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42