Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > electric start kit for honda?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Coldfingers

electric start kit for honda?
Original Message   Dec 6, 2008 11:56 am
Maybe one of you guys can help me? I have a honda 520 single stage snowblower and I was wondering if you can buy and install the electric start kit? You can buy a 520 with electric start but I didn't know if you can convert a manual one over.

Thanks, Coldfingers
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
friiy

Re: electric start kit for honda?
Reply #1   Dec 8, 2008 4:37 pm
When I was a Honda dealer,  most engines in the parts breakdowns (almost all)... Have the ability to accept  starter parts....The problem is that Honda parts are expensive..

geared flywheels about $75-110

starter (NGK or ND)  about $75-110

diffrent blower housing + hardware +wiring + starter button and control about  $100

....for the price you are better off selling yours for a loss and buying bigger with the starter already installed..

Another option is to find a engine that is blown up and take the parts off it.....If they will fit your engine and intalled they fit your application.

Friiy

Coldfingers

Reply #2   Dec 9, 2008 3:23 pm
Thanks Friily,
I checked with a shop earlier today and they basically told me the same thing.
Underdog

Reply #3   Dec 9, 2008 9:21 pm
When I was looking for a replacement engine for my honda HS520 single phase I called honda directly.  They would not discuss a replacement engine with me (a consumer) directly (and asked how I got their number), but they gave me the name of a distributor who in turn gave me the name of my local honda engine dealer.  The local dealer was very good, and he called honda directly and got the straight scoop on the electric starter.  He said that as crazy as this sounds, when honda makes the HS520 (the one that  will accept the electric start) they bore the side of the engine block with 2 extra  bolt holes to support the starter. They don't bore those holes on the "non electric start."    I told him this just didn't make sense to me.  I mean whhy make two almost identical engines?  I asked him why they would essential create two seperate engines when one  would be simpler to interchange. He said the he was not 100% sure but he said the factory in china make these engines so inexpensively that every dime they can shave from the product cost adds up fast. 

I have an electric start  assembly off of my HS520 that I could probably give you a good deal on. But from what I;ve learned it would not do you any good.   You can see the two bolt holes in the first photo, one on the left side of the exhaust sheild, the second just below the exhaust.  Check and see if those two bolt holes are there.   

As for the flywheel, the flywheel is not geared or different in any way that I can see.  The second photo shows how the starter is integrated into the pull start. It does not directly spin the flywheel, it spins the the starter that in turn engages a series of paddles that are attached to the flywheel. You can see the "paddles" in the third photo. Pretty clever if you ask me.

This message was modified Dec 9, 2008 by Underdog

borat

Reply #4   Dec 9, 2008 9:50 pm
Nice explanation.

The "paddles" you refer to are known as "dogs", in this application, they are "engagement dogs".   At least that's what they were called when I went to "old school".

Underdog

Reply #5   Dec 9, 2008 10:06 pm
borat wrote:
"engagement dogs"

Good to know, I'm having a fun time with this motor. Especially in the confines of my warm dining room.
This message was modified Dec 9, 2008 by Underdog

friiy

Reply #6   Dec 10, 2008 12:28 am
I always heard them refered to as "pawls"..

That starter assy is diffrent from the ones that I used to work with....I guess they are getting cheaper or I am getting older.

Friiy   :(

This message was modified Dec 10, 2008 by friiy
Coldfingers

Reply #7   Dec 10, 2008 9:24 am
Thanks Underdog, I had the top cover off last night just checking the machine over and then put it back together afterwards. I will have to look and see if I have those holes but like you said, I probably don't. That is weird that they would go to all that trouble just to make them different, wow! My machine starts good when it is in a warm place but when it sits in a cold garage you have to pull the rope several times to fire it up, thats why I thought the electric start would be nice.
Underdog

Reply #8   Dec 10, 2008 1:44 pm
Coldfingers wrote:
 My machine starts good when it is in a warm place but when it sits in a cold garage you have to pull the rope several times to fire it up, ....

You should not have to pull it more than twice. Have you taken a look at the carburetor and spark plug? One pull is the goal but realisticly by the second pull the combustion chamber should be getting gas.  Has it always been tougher to start when cold? Or is this a recent occurance? The carb on mine was gummed up.  The days of leaving gas sitting in the tank for twelve months is gone apparently.  

Electric start is my perference too.  Even if it pulls starts easily. When I walk out into the garage first thing in the morning I am ussually cold and stiff from sleeping all night. Last thing I want to do is pull a muscle or injure my back.   I whimp out every time an push the electric start button. 

I found someone selling  a two stage honda track drive used. I responded to the ad and the owner said "it always starts"  I stood there in the owner's garage while it was pull started. The owner had his 15 year old son do it.  He pulled and he pulled and he pulled and then he realized he did not have the choke on. So he flipped it on and he pulled and he pulled and he pulled and then he realized he did not have the iginition on. Then he pulled and he pulled and by now gas poored out of the carb and drip onto the floor and the carb must have been flooded.  The son collapsed exhausted onto  the garage floor.  As he lay there he looked up at us and said " this happens all the time, you just have to let it rest a while" 

It was a nice snowblower so I took it home and cleaned the carb. It starts great. The pull start needed to be replaced. I wish I was 15 again.

This message was modified Dec 10, 2008 by Underdog

Coldfingers

Reply #9   Dec 10, 2008 3:36 pm
Its been like that since it was new as best as I can remember. I've had it three years, I always have used stabil in the gas but maybe it is gummed up like you say as it hasn't been used a lot, probably two tanks a winter as I have a bigger machine also. They do run cheap on gas, it only holds .3 tenths of a gallon and I thought I read that it will run 1.5 hrs. on that, wow!
DDD777

Reply #10   Dec 25, 2008 4:59 pm
This message was modified Dec 25, 2008 by DDD777
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42